In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

super glue

mrankhmrankh Member Posts: 915 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2012 in General Discussion
im going to start carrying a bottle in my pocket every day to work

nothing better to put on a cut

Comments

• Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Problem now days is, you gotta reapply it 2-3 times a day.

The new junk they make now days don't hold worth a crud.
  • Options
    Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make friends with a health care pro and talk them out of Derma-bond. Thats what they use in surgury for wound closures.
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:Make friends with a health care pro and talk them out of Derma-bond.

would be a hard sell. dermabond is $70 each.
    that's a lot of crazy glue......

tom
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ..If it's bad enough for glue, it's bad enough for stitches. I have several suture kits on hand for those "oops" moments. Problem is if the cut is on the hand or arm, you need someone to tie the knots. Last time, I stitched and the wife tied.
    ..Wife cut herself between the eyes and the ER doc used Derma-Bond. Great stuff but too pricey for me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i just like it for the little cuts on the hand or arm mostly that like to hurt and reopen while your working quicker then a bandaid and doesnt come off for a while
  • Options
    mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    Locatite IS496. I glued a ?1 coin to a steel mark out table some 15 years ago, the coin looks worse for wear, but its still there, with its chisel, hammer & saw marks [:D]
  • Options
    MudderChuckMudderChuck Member Posts: 4,105
    edited November -1
    Just the ticket for torn finger nails or hammer bruises under the nail, when the nail dies and starts to come apart.

Just make sure you let it dry thoroughly before using the mens room.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get yourself some New Skin bowlers have been using it for hundreds of years.
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a product I use often called "New Skin". It smells like nail polish but it sure works on small cuts. Lasts a long time and seems to speed healing too. I don't know what's in super glue but can't doubt it's good for you.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fideau
    There is a product I use often called "New Skin". It smells like nail polish but it sure works on small cuts. Lasts a long time and seems to speed healing too. I don't know what's in super glue but can't doubt it's good for you.

Maybe you should look at other replies before you reply it's amazing what you can learn.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite

..When we bowled on leagues, I always had NewSkin in the bowling bag. My fingers would split in cold, dry weather.
  • Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Super glue is what the navy medics carried when I was in the suck.

Cut a finger almost to the bone while in the field.

Medic grabbed it, rinsed with water, then got it bleeding real good.

Then held the cut open, and filled it up with super glue.

Said, if it don't heal up good, go to medical when we get outta the field.

It never got infected, and never bled again.

That was '92 at camp Fuji on mainland Japan.

Still can feel a lump in my finger where the cut was.
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

[red]http://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-85071.html ~[/red]

C&P -
    The glue doesn't interfere with healing, and it seals excellently. It is as resistent to abscessing as staples, and seals far better. For
    wounds in animals which have been anticoagulated, it's a godsend.
    Survival animals which have catheters pulled later suffer no ill
    effects, and the wounds heal fine.
    Steve Harris, M.D. (http://yarchive.net/med/superglue.html)
    [;)]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I grabbed the super glue to seal a cut and I got a nasty nasty infection and my hand looked bad. Doc said don't use super glue and the Surgeons use a different type so becareful.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    I first learned about super gluing cuts from a veterinarian back in the 80's.

It's really good first aid stuff.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ..I'll stick by my methods. First, use a butterfly. If that's not good enough, maybe glue, but I'd rather suture deep cuts.
  • Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last cut my daughter got was just over the eyebrow. They glued it shut with no real problems. Only thing that went wrong was the dr got the nurses rubber glove glued to daughters forehead. :) They just trimmed it off and sent us home.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mond
    Locatite IS496. I glued a ?1 coin to a steel mark out table some 15 years ago, the coin looks worse for wear, but its still there, with its chisel, hammer & saw marks [:D]

I have a tube of 454 instant adhesive I carry in my tool bag for cuts.

If you get one of those cuts where if you brush the skin one way it feels like raw nerve. That is were this stuff is priceless. Clean up the wound(don't want to super glue crap under the skin) push the flap of skin down and dab a blob of glue on and let dry.
  • Options
    TexasVetTexasVet Member Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does Super Glue have cyanide in it?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    One of the first practical uses of Super Glue (also referred to as "CA" for its chemical name, cyanoacrylate ) was to treat wounded soldiers during the Vietnam War - to control the bleeding until they could get back to the hospital. It wasn't just used externally, either - it was apparently used for such things as patching up lacerated livers as well.

CA is a great workshop solution because it instantly and securely seals off the cut and quickly eliminates pain (because the pain, apparently, is from oxygen hitting the exposed nerve endings ). It wears off naturally in a day or two, so you may need to reapply - but by then, the bleeding has stopped and the pain is much less anyway. CA apparently also reduces scarring.

Experts (who are these guys anyway?) say that CA can irritate the skin and should not be used on deep cuts . A more helpful "expert" advises that over-the-counter CA is less preferred because it has a cheaper type of methyl alcohol in it. No one seems to have a problem with using CA on smallish surface cuts, especially those that can easily be closed up while glued. For a medical variant of CA, try Dermabond , Band-Aid Liquid Bandage or 3M No-Sting Liquid Bandage Spray .

http://adventuresinwoodworking.wordpress.com/2008/05/09/super-glue-safe-for-treating-cuts/
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to be in the RC plane hobby. I was repeatedly cutting my fingers with the xacto knives commonly used when making balsa models. We had a couple of different grades of CA, thick and thin. The thick had about the consistency of syrup, while the thin was almost as runny as water. For light cuts, I used thin. For deeper cuts, I used the thick. Both worked excellently. The water in skin (and blood) actually helps activate the bonding. I remember spraying a light film of water on the balsa to help the glueing. That inherent moisture is probably why it works so well on cuts. [:)]
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Maybe you should look at other replies before you reply it's amazing what you can learn.[;)]

That was not there when I started typing my reply. Sometimes I am a little slow. Maybe you should KMA.
  • Options
    burchieburchie Member Posts: 195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another vote for New Skin. Use it quite a lot on small cuts and nicks from the machine shop.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,331 ******
    edited November -1
    I use that stuff. It can be killer to apply to an open wound though. (It says not to)
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    Ya Gotta Clean it out at leastquote:Originally posted by TooBig
    I grabbed the super glue to seal a cut and I got a nasty nasty infection and my hand looked bad. Doc said don't use super glue and the Surgeons use a different type so becareful.
  • Options
    MudderChuckMudderChuck Member Posts: 4,105
    edited November -1
    I don't think small quantities are going to hurt much. Used to be Lexan dissolved in Dichloromethane or another methylene chloride distillate.

I'm sure they have refined the process and the recipe has changed some. I'm thinking the difference in the medical stuff and the over the counter stuff may be the purity of the solvent. During distillation, they get layers of solvents, Chlorine, formaldehyde and other stuff. I'm sure there is some cross contamination in the process. Some of the products of the process are poisons.

I'm not a chemist, but did do some piping for a factory that produced the stuff.