In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A bit of help please.

coltpaxcoltpax Member Posts: 8,114
edited June 2010 in General Discussion
I'm trying to decide on a revolver. It needs to be DA, with a barrel between 4" and 8". I'm unsure as to what caliber I want, I'm thinking of .38 being the minimum and possibly up to .44 magnum or .45 long. It needs to be reliable, doesn't need to be pretty or new, just in good useable condition and at a price under $600. Any recommendations? I'm so far considering The Taurus Judge, or a Taurus Revolver (eveyrbody I know with one has had decent results), or a used S&W. Only problem with SW's is that I don't know the models and such, which complicates things. I've looked at Armscor revolvers, but I'm willing to bet that they're junk. Or, does anybody know of a good .45 ACP that is mostly metal (I don't prefer polymer on my pistols)? I'm thinking about searching for a used 1911 or something along the lines, but I'm unsure at to any other makes or models that are decent. Advice por favor?

Actually, I just answered a good question for myself. But I have another. Are RIA pistols good guns for the money? I mean, $500 shipped seems cheap for a 1911.

Comments

• Options
    coltpaxcoltpax Member Posts: 8,114
    edited November -1
    Specifically, the RIA compact .45's? Those seems like just what I wanted. I think I shoulda done some research, but they're over on the auction side for $390 BIN. Seems too good to be true to me.
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My compact RIA 1911 has never failed to fire.
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    Rias are worth what they go for. You don't expet racecar performance from an economy sedan. Don't expect custom shop performance from a low end production gun and you might end up happy. They function reliably and they don't cost a lot. That's pretty much where the praise usually ends.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another +1 for the Ruger Security 6. Look for a 4 inch barrel or longer barrel with adjustable sights.

I too like my Rock Island full size GI 1911. Fun to shoot and reliable right out of the box. I would shy away from a compact 1911. The full size guns allow you to wring more accuracy out of them.

However, I might recommend a 9mm for you. 9mm has the cheapest ammo out there, IMHO. You can still find a box of 9mm for $10 or less. You can do alot more shooting with a 9 compared to a 45.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Eight inch barrels are for specialty use so unless you are planning on being a serious handgun hunter or a dedicated target shooter forget about 8" tubes. Your $600 budget leaves you open for a wide variety of handguns, including some nice ones. I'd be seriously considering a .357 since you can also fire .38 Special without any problems. While it is true that you can fire .44 Special from a .44 Magnum, I don't consider this pairing to be nearly as versatile as the .357/38. 4 inch or 6 inch basically comes down to feel and balance, real life ballistics just don't apply to the 2" differnce in length, at least not to any extent that you (the average shooter) will notice on the range or in the field. I prefer 6" revolvers, mostly because I like my pistols muzzle heavy, but a 4 inch barrel will be much faster on target and generally easier to handle. It pretty much boils down to personal choice but if you plan to actually fire a lot of full house magnum loads then a 6" barrel is a much better choice. Nice quality revolver that should squeeze under your budget are the Colt Trooper and the Peacekeeper. Ignoring the Colt Python, in my opinion (and I have plenty of them) the best .357 revolvers ever made are any of the S&W N-Frames, specifically the Model 27, but there is nothing wrong with the Model 19 Combat Magnum or the Model 28 Highway Patrolman, both of which will be much less expensive than the big N-Frame Model 27. You can fire a box of 50 full power magnum loads through a Model 27 each and every day for the rest of your life and with the exception of tightening down the screws once an a while, it will never wear out.

You are a young guy so here is some free advice from an old guy who was once in your shoes: Buy the absolute best guns that you can afford right now because you'll save money in the long run. The Taurus is a decent pistol but down the road you will want something better and will probably end up buying a Colt or S&W anyway. This leaves you with the Taurus, a gun which won't hold it's value nearly as well as a Colt or Smith, and unless you get a killer deal getting into the Taurus you'll probably just end up keeping it and why spend good money twice? Buy something right now that will suit your needs for the rest of your life and if worse comes to worse, is easy to resell.
  • Options
    bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Yep, what he said. But the Ruger GP is a fine revolver that will last forever as far as you are concerned.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Ruger blued GP-100 .357 mag but, if you choose, it will shoot 38spl ammo also, a tad cheaper than the 357 ammo for practice or for use on the bad guys if you want. So one price, one gun...that handles two different cals, nice.

Also available in SS too, which is the finish I like for carry because it doesn't show holster wear as easily in a good holster.

This one has a barrel an inch shorter than you mentioned but the pics are good showing you a good representation of the gun and...it's available in several barrel lengths. Nice guns and they hold their value fairly well, most important, good accurate shooters that are dependable. The Ruger Security Six, fills the bill too and is not too much different from the GP-100, I just prefer the GP-100 better.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=176602422

I dont care for the RIA 1911's, made in the Philipines, fit and finish usually likes a lot to be desired, most do go bang when the trigger is pulled but accuracy is not exactly their strong suit either.
    They will not increase in value, they only depreciate. I know, you never plan on selling a gun but, we never know what may pop up or if it's passed down to family, they may end up selling.

A quality 1911 that will increase in value even if used and not abused, with NO permnent irreversable changes made...will INCREASE in value., and if bought "right" and taken good care of, that "increase" will be fairly substantial, Colt.

A nice NIB Colt can be had a lot cheaper than what a lot of people think, and when your talking maybe $300 more for a Colt than a RIA, I'd save my money a tad longer and invest in the Colt.
    There IS a REASON the Colt 1911 is the MOST copied gun ever, but then the others are all just copies/clones.

Dont buy into the myth that a NIB Colt 1911 HAS to be "tinkered" with to work properly NIB, balogna, should feed all types HP's and anything else you care to feed it.

...I prefer made in America too, Colt is.

I carry a Colt SS .45 Commander everyday up to 12+ hours, in a GOOD leather hip holster and you will forget it's their and never notice the weight, unless your a little guy, like knee high to a grasshoppa short.
    Look around and you may find a NIB like the one below a bit cheaper, SS will almost always run a little more than blued. You can look around and probably find a good used Colt maybe, a bit cheaper...but they hold and increase in value so clean original used Colts command good money too...but great deals can be found.

NIB Colt Blue .45 Commander

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=176033340

IF Im not carrying my Commander, I'm carrying the full size Colt Delta Elite 10mm.

NIB Colt blued 1991A1 full size..ALL UNDER $800 NIB

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=176533625

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=176739213

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=176820187

OR [:D]...find an Argentine Sistema/Colt...built on Colt equipment to Colt specs, in Argentina from 1927 until early/mid 60's...and they are based on the Colt 1911A1, the basic gun a LOT of competition shooters use.

EVERY part on the Sistema will swap out with any colt 1911, all after market parts that fit the Colt 1911 will fit the Sistema.

Still plenty of GOOD used Sistemas to be had at great prices considering the gun it is. Most of the Sistemas were arsenal refinished before being exported, no biggie. The serial numbers that NEED to match, (stamped numbers, not electro-pencil matched) will be found on the barrel, frame and slide...magazine match is rare.

Sistemas are collectable too, a good thing, as they will increase in value too. Several importers had plenty 5 years ago, $350-$400, not so now, but I think I saw one that had a few recently not sure.
    In the past five years the price of the Sistema has just about doubled.
    IF you find a nice clean Sistema ($300-$350), and you're not concerned about collector value too much, you can have it re-blued with top of the line blue job...and you will have a beautiful looking, great shooting classic looking Colt, for under $700 bucks that I garauntee will turn heads. NICE, inexpensive Sistemas are out there, just need patience and to look.

Though the refinish will not help the collector value, you should be able to sell it if you choose for at least what you have invested in it, IF you stole it, you should still be able to make a few bucks.
    Just about impossible to say any of this with another gun...it all adds up as to "why" buy a Colt or even the Sistema/Colt.

Just so you can see, heres a Sistema/Colt, but...it's not a deal, but there are plenty that are. Oh, Argentina also took a stab at designing their own 1911, the Balaster Molina, different animal and NO Colt parts will change out except maybe the grip screws.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=176032729

Luck in your search and choice...[;)]
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,423 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    S&W

Model 19.....Blued K frame 357 magnum

Model 66.....Just like model 19 except stainless instead of carbon steel.

Model 27 and 28......Blued N frame 357 magnum. N frame is a more robust frame than a K .

Model 29......Blued N frame 44 magnum.

Model 629?....Stainless version of model 29.

I'm not familiar with the stainless model versions of the model 27 and 28.

There, you just got schooled in the only DA revolver learnin you ever need to know![:p]
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    coltpax....lots of good advice to you here from Mark, Colt and HPD. Get the best gun that you can afford and with the amount of money you have to spend, you should be able to get a good one. I am with Mark in that the Python is the best but you are a bit short in $ to get one of those. I would stick to the 4" as it gives you the most flexibilty. I have a small hand and although I have Model 27/28/29's, but with my small hand they are not the best for me to shoot so I stick to the smaller framed Smiths...I prefer the Model 66 in 4" and the Ruger GP100 in 4" also. My 66 is a police tradein (San Diego PD) which I have had for years and it works great! Both fit my small hand well and are fun to shoot with either .38 or .357. While many on the Forum run down Taurus, I have a Gold Titatium that I CC and love it to death. It is ported and very light and super to shoot and has never failed me...but it is not in your 4"-8" range as it is a little stubby. As to 45's, I prefer Colts and for the kind of $ you are talking about I would look at a 1991A1. Colt's always hold their value and you really can't go wrong. Anyway, JMHO and good luck in your quest!
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might consider a Dan Wesson. Several barrel lengths on the same frame.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let me add a plus one. Being young, buy the best you can afford, you don't have any real bills might as well save up for the best. Colt is the only way to go.
  • Options
    barbwiredbarbwired Member Posts: 8,254
    edited November -1
    I found this on the auction side I've always had good luck with these. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=177097707