In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

too shoot or not too shoot

timhill100timhill100 Member Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
edited May 2014 in General Discussion
i just got a 1965 colt national match unfired in the box, there is blueing wear from being in the box 45 years, but im debating on weather to fire it or not, what would you do ?

Comments

• Options
    catgunguycatgunguy Member Posts: 6,089
    edited November -1
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To me its like breeding and training a race horse and never letting it race..... It wants to race, it's what it was made to do.

That gun does not want anything of course, but it was designed and built to shoot!
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,638 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if it made it this long , you might as well preserve its history for the next owner to brag about it not being shot [:D]
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It you bought it to look at, look. If you bought it to shoot, shoot.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't own a gun I can't shoot.
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    If you don't shoot it how do you know it works?

I understand not wanting to shoot very old antiques that have aged far into collector value, or are no longer safe to shoot, or both.

I understand not shooting guns made strictly as art pieces. All engraved and inlaid and such like. Most of that is ugly to me, but I understand the art angle and about not shooting them.

But a gun made to be shot, in safe condition to be shot ought to be shot.

Or sold to me on the cheap [:D]
  • Options
    wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The value only goes up...unfired.

Trade it for two that have been fired, and shoot away!
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,272 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SHOOT IT!! SHOOT IT!!!
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    No gun is unfired as it was test fired at the factory before being sold,
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    If you purchased it as an investment want it to retain top value then leave it unfired. If you bought the thing to shoot it then by all means do so. Unfired firearms bring premiums because most folks purchase guns and then go right out and shoot them, which is not a big surprise, so that makes unfired examples relatively rare. Certain guns like Colt Single Action Armies are very often left unfired since they were near instant collectibles the day that they left the factory but the NM Government was not considered to be in that class and an unfired example would bring a big premium over one that has been even lightly used.
  • Options
    mcasomcaso Member Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Send it to me. I will shoot it for you and send it back .... some day.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Machines and tools are made to perform. Somewhere down the line, the man that owns it will shoot it. If not you, no big deal.
    I live life which is why I don't have any unfired guns.
  • Options
    Missouri Mule K30Missouri Mule K30 Member Posts: 2,092 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only once a Virgin.... Why Not[:p]
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shoot it! Someday when you're stuck inside four walls looking wistfully out the windows, you don't want to be thinking "Wonder how well the NM would have shot". Honest wear is fine on any gun I own.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the past year, I bought a 100 yr old Hopkins & Allen 12 g that (according to my gunsmith) does not appear to have been fired beyond it's proof firing. Took it out for opening day, dove season.

Also got a S&W K-38 Target Masterpiece, in the box, in original wrapping paper, unturned. It went to the range, and shoots like a dream.

If yours is an investment, put it away. If you bought to enjoy, shoot it.
  • Options
    timhill100timhill100 Member Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ok so i decided to shoot it,
    what ammo would you use ? i normaly shoot 230gr fmj, but someone told me to shoot only lead another person said lead would gum it up
    amy input would help
    thanks
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Pre series 70 had lighten slides You can tell if you remove slide from frame turn slide up side down if you can see most of the extractor from front to back then this is a light slide and I would not shoot 230 grain but light to medium lead loads . Just saying. You can shoot a pistol hundreds of times and only loose 2% OF IT'S CONDITION . I yours shows any & I mean any wear from the box Shoot it it is NOT 100%. I would much rather buy a 97% gun than one 100% NITB.
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    If a person lives only for posterity, he will never put a wear mark on any firearm that he owns, or even ever drive any car that he buys. Some people even freak over the idea of someone brushing the flaking varnish off of an arsenal-reworked Mosin, just because its 'Arsenal'.

If something is purchased for long-term investment, fine. Otherwise, turn it into a used gun or a used car or a used wristwatch, because you only live once, and posterity can take care [:X] of itself.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kidthatsirish
    To me its like breeding and training a race horse and never letting it race..... It wants to race, it's what it was made to do.

That gun does not want anything of course, but it was designed and built to shoot!

That is fine, but just know you're going to knock the collector value as soon as you do. Not a problem if it is not an investment, short sighted IMO though. Buy one out of the box and beat up if shooting is your goal, I'd preserve something that hasn't been fired past the factory.
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SCOUT5
    It you bought it to look at, look. If you bought it to shoot, shoot.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    I wouldn't own a gun I can't shoot.

+1

[:I] but I do have some that are unfired [:I]

They are all fired at the factory.