In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Nice score today at an estate sale

WMClarkWMClark Member Posts: 821
edited October 2018 in General Discussion
Driving along I spotted an estate sale this afternoon. I don't usually stop at these things but thought what the heck. They had a 30 cal ammo can about 1/4 full of old coins. They were busy closing up and I ask the price. They tell me 550.00. I poked around in it for a few minutes and said it's a deal.

I went home and went through it all. I ended up with 16 Morgan dollars. A mix of 116 Franklin and walking liberty halves. 179 Mercury dimes, and 92 pre '64 Washington quarters, and a few hundred wheat pennies. I found a silver calculator online and It works out to about 85.5 ounces of silver. By my math the price works out to somewhere around $6.60 an ounce.

Comments

• Options
    wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's at Melt.

Now you have to go through every one of them to see if you have anything special!
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just going off the melt value, that is about $1,220. You did good. As said, unless they are terribly worn, they will have a collector's value greater than melt.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Talking to my brother he has a couple of coin books and wants to check them out to see if anything good might be in there. I'm feeling darn lucky with it as it is.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mackenzie was in a rural goodwill store about 40 minutes from campus (Penn State) in a town that many Amish and Mennonites frequent...

She likes the town because it still has a traditional main street with angle in parking and brick front retail stores were the back of the building is a loading dock and mini warehouse / stockroom.

They have a neat post office and police building and fire house on the main street - there is even a blacksmiths shop that caters to the locals...

She called me and wanted to know the names of my wrist watch and pocket watch...

For $100.00 all in she snagged a late Waltham silver cased 5 function pocket watch with a cracked glass face (no chain or fob)...

And a nickel thickness longine wrist watch missing it's band...

Both are pretty common variants and both appear to be made in the 30's...

She took both to a local jeweler to inquire about a replacement crystal and a correct watch band - the jeweler offered to buy both and offered her $750.00

She convinced makaila to cover the repair costs - and they want to present them as a gift on the 2 year anniversary date of my cancer diagnosis.

I am of course stunned - and had blurry vision for awhile (must be the damn pollen)

I know that silver spot / scrap price is pretty low - and silver is not what a fashionable gentleman wears as far as jewelry accessories are concerned.

And nobody wants to replace the watch glass or find a matching band...

And that the simple and plain variants are not so desirable - and that to a certain extent cell phones and Iwatches have replaced traditional time pieces.

What am I missing - what part of the big picture am I not seeing???

And much love - mad props to WMClark on his silver treasure haul - amazing find and a steal for any numismatic / coin / specie hunter...

How did the 30-50 folks who came through and browsed before you passed on it or missed it (hell the ammo can alone would be gone in 60 seconds here.

Your fine is amazing in that it's so obvious that even a duffer or a fool should no better than to pass it by (keen eye - great find - you sir are a divy)

Please tell us more or post up some pics.

Any if anybody has some input on what my girls found please chime in.

Mike
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fortune favors the bold!
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Went to an estate sale several years ago, and bought a beer flat full of "old gun parts" for $10. Seems the old fellow favored Winchesters and Colt single actions. There were 8 original Mod 94 buckhorn rear sights with elevators, 6 oak shotgun plugs marked "Winchester", 3 sets of Colt SA grips with the screws, several SA hammers and triggers, and about 100 plug screws of various sizes in a prescription bottle, along with probably 5-6 lbs of misc. stuff. Needless to say, I made a few bucks on that deal.
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike just accept it like it is a pot of gold. It's a gift from the heart. [:)]
  • Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bubba Jr.
    Mike just accept it like it is a pot of gold. It's a gift from the heart. [:)]

Well said Sir.

They obviously are smitten with you Mike. You've got them bamboozled.

(That's my Big Word for the day.) Your welcome. [:D]

-Ken-

Oh Yeah. Nice score WMCLARK.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a heck of a deal!! Good score, if only I had the nuts to stop in one,,but after a few years of doing so, seemed a waste of time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Grasshopper
    That's a heck of a deal!! Good score, if only I had the nuts to stop in one,,but after a few years of doing so, seemed a waste of time.

That's been the same expericence with me. I guess it was meant to be because I usually drive right by them. Something inside me told me I need to stop.

My brother will be stopping by Friday night to see if there is anything that might rare.