In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Told the Deputy that I had a CCW and was carrying

sohigh1sohigh1 Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in General Discussion
Yesterday, and not for the first time, the neighbor who lives a half mile away had their horses get out. This happens frequently, due to the fact that in several spots, there is only one strand of barbed wire trying to hold in seven full sized horses.

Anyway, after lunch, my kids were playing out on the porch, and they came running in, all in a tizzy, telling me that there were horses in our yard.

To make a long story short, as I was trying, by myself, to get six of the seven horses back in their pen, a county Deputy rolled up. Someone, I know not who, called 911 to report horses in the middle of the road. It WAS dangerous, as the horses were in a spot in the road between two hills, and people would top the hills and not see them in time.

The deputy spent the next 35 minutes or so helping me get the nervous animals back where they belonged.

At the start, I remembered my LCP hidden under my untucked shirt, and since we were wrestling with the animals (one of them about pulled me off my feet into the air when I had a hold of it's halter) I told the man, "I have a conceal carry permit, and I am carrying."

I confess, I was a little nervous about how he might take that. I was so impressed with his answer:

"Doesn't bother me, I have no problem with that!"

Hmm, I may have to re-think my opinion of LEO's.

Comments

• Options
    MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    Was good of you to let him know before he saw it.

He probably would have just smiled and kept on with the horses.
  • Options
    Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "The deputy spent the next 35 minutes or so helping me get the nervous animals back where they belonged."

That right there told you the Deputy was a good dude.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same reaction you'd get from me, and the folks that work for me.
  • Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    Same reaction you'd get from me, . . .

NOT me.

My reaction would be "Cool, what are you carrying?" [:D]
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by US Military Guy
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    Same reaction you'd get from me, . . .

NOT me.

My reaction would be "Cool, what are you carrying?" [:D]

I'd probably ask out of curiosity
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tech141
    "The deputy spent the next 35 minutes or so helping me get the nervous animals back where they belonged."

That right there told you the Deputy was a good dude.

+1

Although its not yours or the Deputy's problem the horses got out, he saw a way he could serve by keeping the roads safer, so he did it, despite the fact the trying to "herd" horses that you are not familiar with can actually be rather dangerous (if you dont think so then you have never been kicked by one in the torso).

Good on you both, I hope your neighbor is aware of the problem with his/her fence and that they fix it soon.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    It is amusing that such an insignificant event is worthy of exposure, albeit I enjoy seeing such.

It goes to show that something so simple and so proper has to be raised as an example of a cop acting as he should and that, sadly, the fact that such is raised as an example also indicates how far outside the norm such a police response to the presence of a firearm seems to be.

Food for thought, perhaps...
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great post ... shows there may be reason to rethink several things.

Good dealings for you and the Deputy ... great jobs done Gentlemen. [^]
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sheriffs' departments are usually ok.

The one around here has a gyro-coptor[8D]
  • Options
    jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Herding animals can be very dangerous. Local deputy was killed recently by a cow charging him. Just goes go show there is NO "routine" call.

RIP Deputy Britton

http://www.odmp.org/officer/20796-deputy-sheriff-robert-britton
  • Options
    topdadtopdad Member Posts: 3,408 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many years ago when I was 19, or 20 I was pulled over by
    a county deputy, when he asked for my registration, I told him
    it was in the glove box, and that I had a gun in there.
    His reply was, well your not gona shoot me with it are ya?
    just get your papers, and leave the gun alone.
    He gave me a ticket for speeding, and sent me on my way.
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sohigh1
    Yesterday, and not for the first time, the neighbor who lives a half mile away had their horses get out. This happens frequently, due to the fact that in several spots, there is only one strand of barbed wire trying to hold in seven full sized horses.

Anyway, after lunch, my kids were playing out on the porch, and they came running in, all in a tizzy, telling me that there were horses in our yard.

To make a long story short, as I was trying, by myself, to get six of the seven horses back in their pen, a county Deputy rolled up. Someone, I know not who, called 911 to report horses in the middle of the road. It WAS dangerous, as the horses were in a spot in the road between two hills, and people would top the hills and not see them in time.

The deputy spent the next 35 minutes or so helping me get the nervous animals back where they belonged.

At the start, I remembered my LCP hidden under my untucked shirt, and since we were wrestling with the animals (one of them about pulled me off my feet into the air when I had a hold of it's halter) I told the man, "I have a conceal carry permit, and I am carrying."

I confess, I was a little nervous about how he might take that. I was so impressed with his answer:

"Doesn't bother me, I have no problem with that!"

Hmm, I may have to re-think my opinion of LEO's.

That is my standard reply, unless there are aggravating circumstances![8D]
    And as an FTO, that is what I teach!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by topdad
    Many years ago when I was 19, or 20 I was pulled over by
    a county deputy, when he asked for my registration, I told him
    it was in the glove box, and that I had a gun in there.
    His reply was, well your not gona shoot me with it are ya?
    just get your papers, and leave the gun alone.
    He gave me a ticket for speeding, and sent me on my way.

That is why it is VERY IMPORTANT that you inform any LEO of your carrying a CW. Surprises do not always go very well![xx(]
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still don't follow the logic that a citizen engaged in a legal activity should be a concern for a LEO. Whether I'm legally carrying a firearm is of no concern to the fuzz until I do something illegal. If I was intending to harm the officer, he'd already be hurt before he knew it was happening. That's like the cop walking up to my vehicle and being concerned if I have a concealed weapon-if I wanted to hurt him, I'd have put 10-12 rifle bullets through his windshield while he was still talking on the radio and screwing his hat on at just the right angle.
  • Options
    MrOrangeMrOrange Member Posts: 3,012
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    I still don't follow the logic that a citizen engaged in a legal activity should be a concern for a LEO. Whether I'm legally carrying a firearm is of no concern to the fuzz until I do something illegal. If I was intending to harm the officer, he'd already be hurt before he knew it was happening. That's like the cop walking up to my vehicle and being concerned if I have a concealed weapon-if I wanted to hurt him, I'd have put 10-12 rifle bullets through his windshield while he was still talking on the radio and screwing his hat on at just the right angle.

Which is exactly why telling a cop that you're carrying should be cause for him to relax, if'n he's a good one.

Other than the hyper scaredy cops who freak out when they find a citizen has a gun handy, I'd think most would realize that the type of person who says "By the way, I have a CCW and am carrying" isn't going to shoot them. Kinda like the OC crowd; how many gangsters walk around with open holstered handguns?

Anywho, if this is a recurring problem, I hope your local peace officer paid the actual owners a visit and issued an appropriate warning.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you also feel you should flag down any patrol car passing to show papers and justify walking down the street?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MrOrange
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck

Which is exactly why telling a cop that you're carrying should be cause for him to relax, if'n he's a good one.

Other than the hyper scaredy cops who freak out when they find a citizen has a gun handy, I'd think most would realize that the type of person who says "By the way, I have a CCW and am carrying" isn't going to shoot them. Kinda like the OC crowd; how many gangsters walk around with open holstered handguns?

Anywho, if this is a recurring problem, I hope your local peace officer paid the actual owners a visit and issued an appropriate warning.

Have you ever heard the saying 'You can't tell the players without a program'?????
    Just how do those of us on the street tell the 'good guys' from the 'bad guys'. If the police have no reason to contact you you have not reason to tell them you are armed, simple really!!! If you are contacted by the police, regardless of the circumstances you should (common sense) tell them you are armed (see above)!!![;)]
  • Options
    djh860djh860 Member Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You were right to tell him. The book im reading says to never say I have a gun but instead say I have ltc and im using it today.
  • Options
    Wyatt EarpWyatt Earp Member Posts: 5,871
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lt496
    It is amusing that such an insignificant event is worthy of exposure, albeit I enjoy seeing such.

It goes to show that something so simple and so proper has to be raised as an example of a cop acting as he should and that, sadly, the fact that such is raised as an example also indicates how far outside the norm such a police response to the presence of a firearm seems to be.

Food for thought, perhaps...

Bingo!!!
  • Options
    JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got pulled over once, I was carrying a Colt 1908. Told I was carrying, he asked to see it, and then said "Is it Hot?" I misunderstood, and told him "No, I own it!"
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The last time I got pulled over and mentioned my CCW to the cop, all he wanted to know was where I took the class and how could his wife get a seat in the next class. Nice guy. [:D]