In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hey Nunn! About those Drones....

gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
edited May 2012 in General Discussion
Do you know which Texan LEO stated that some of the drones are going to be armed and doing "surveillance"?

Comments

• Options
    txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Snicker... He said drones...[:D]

I got empty cans for sale... Armed drones? Come on... Somebody is pulling your leg...
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Well, its partially true.

Sheriffs Dept. around Houston has bought a UAV Helicopter for use with their SWAT team in variuos situations.

A "Drone" technically, but more like an expensive RV Helicopter with cameras than a Military Drone.

Talking to a reporter about the Drone, a Deputy made the REMARK that maybe if it was equipped with CS (tear) gas and/or rubber bullets, it might be helpful in suspect barracade situations...then, the internet rumor mill took over and it became an "armed Drone"....as of now, its a 50 pound flying camera.

PRIOR to one of these Drones being flown, FFA has to give permission for the flight, (anywhere in US) cant see where it will be much of an asset...[;)]
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    why does everyone assume a drone has to be as big as a car, or like a military drone? or fly higher than 100 feet

no ffa clearance is needed for the local rc club, which could easily be made into a drone, and one no bigger than a lawnmower body

{i had the idea in the 80's for race track video, but technology was not available for the camera}
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Why would the Future Farmers of America have anything to do with armed drones flying anywhere?
    Perhap you meant the FAA or Federal Aviation Administration.

I've got a trick I play on the RC guys out on the mesa when they do their aerobatics; I key up my Bi-linear and scan a few dozen channels-they drop like debris! Especially when I aim the Yagi-Uda-style antenna any wheres close!
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan
    why does everyone assume a drone has to be as big as a car, or like a military drone? or fly higher than 100 feet

no ffa clearance is needed for the local rc club, which could easily be made into a drone, and one no bigger than a lawnmower body

{i had the idea in the 80's for race track video, but technology was not available for the camera}

[:o)][:o)][:o)]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26PpA1kFIWw
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Those could be more fun than skeet shooting! [:p]
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now THAT could be a youth FFA event. [:D] Of course, the FAA might object. I won't be surprised if some of the government RC planes go down due to hits. [:D]