In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Post office damaged gun_refuses to pay

JettRinkJettRink Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited July 2014 in General Discussion
I have sold a gun which was delivered by USPS over 2 months ago. It was delivered in a hard plastic case and taped up. Upon arrival, the stock was broken. The carrier took the gun since he could not accept a damaged gun. I had insured it and the buyer filed a claim. The insurance was for $500 which was about the sale price
Since then the post office has given him the run around for over 2 months. First they said he cant recover shipping cost, he does not have the proper paperwork and how do they know he is the person on the GunBroker sales document. I have provide him all the insurance information as well as the GunBroker listing. I talked to my local post office and they gave me contact info for that post office and the carrier.
At this point he has made 4-5 trips to the post office to help expedite the claim.
I have lost total faith in this delivery method and will not use them again?Other details would make this too long, but is there some way GunBroker can assist in these matters to help him get his money back.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good luck with usps. They suck. Had a similar problem and the post office would not help at all. no one there seems to know what their job is.
  • Options
    oldgunmanoldgunman Member Posts: 1,779 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same thing happened to us years ago. Rifle was shipped in a new hard case, foam lined, and stock was broken. Rifle HAS to be wrapped in bubble,etc first before putting in hard case. Those cases are too loosy goosy for shipping. It was a terrible ordeal and to this day the rifle is still sitting here in that case not fixed. Bad memory and I really wanted that rifle.[:(][:(][:(]
  • Options
    riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    how the hell do they break a stock.............a forklift
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,840 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have filed 2 claims with the USPS over the years. In one case I had to file an appeal and they made me prove the actually cost of the item.
    I did get my money back but it was almost one year before I received the check.
    The second claim was problem free other than waiting 7 months.

USPS is managed by both union and govt, so don't expect overnight results.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That was my exact response, RifleMike. The buyer asked the same question. The postal worker told him that if you can;t drop it off a 10' ladder without damage, then you shouldn't ship it. And they wonder why the USPS is about bankrupt and losing money every year.
  • Options
    nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    USPS <- Government stuff = SUX
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FedEx and UPS are just as bad. I probably get one every month or so broke clean through the wrist. Several have been repaired, but some it is just easier to get a new stock.
  • Options
    rob223rob223 Member Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a run in with USPS myself recently. They lost my daughter and her family's Christmas/Birthday package. Was insured, filed a claim. denied, verified contents and value, denied. Filed 2 appeals. Finally 4 months later they finally paid for it.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many postal workers have a habit of trying to break things that look like guns.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Last year I think it was I filed a complaint with the Post Master about my local Postmaster. She lived with her cell phone to her head. It was real hard to get her attention and even worse was her service. The phone stayed glued to her head. not sure if she was talking to me or the other person on the phone with her.

She is now gone.

Here is the post on it.

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=601104&SearchTerms=post,office
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,646 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe 8+ years ago fed-ex delivered a shotgun to me barrel was damaged , had to return it to the original shipper seller. When it back to him said they must have dragged it behind the truck all the way back to him but they did pay the insurance it may not be so easy now days as everyone is saying all are a pain
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've found taking them to small claims court aggravates the hell out of them.....2 times now when they acted like rectums and shrugged me off with attitude and excuses I've had to show them I can be a rectum too [:0] They don't want to go to court plus they know they can't win in court. [;)] Believe it or not the legal system (in my area) is a lot faster than the postal system and the small filing fee is worth not having to hassle with idiots [:)]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You say that the carrier took the gun since he could not accept a damaged gun. Do you mean that the package and the gun is in the possession of the U.S. Postal Service?
    What's next?
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Junkballer
    I've found taking them to small claims court aggravates the hell out of them.....2 times now when they acted like rectums and shrugged me off with attitude and excuses I've had to show them I can be a rectum too [:0] They don't want to go to court plus they know they can't win in court. [;)] Believe it or not the legal system (in my area) is a lot faster than the postal system and the small filing fee is worth not having to hassle with idiots [:)]

Small claims against the Postmaster. You know their address.. USPS mail office. Get them served. WTH does the GunBroker auction have to do with it? The amount of insurance you paid for is the only thing in question.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire

Small claims against the Postmaster. You know their address.. USPS mail office. Get them served. WTH does the GunBroker auction have to do with it? The amount of insurance you paid for is the only thing in question.

We have had to do that with FedEx. It was the only way to get them to pay.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    It's not that they don't know.
    IMHO I don't think they care.
    I played cribbage for 15 yrs in
    the Post office league, great guys
    but goldbrickers when it came to work.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire

I didn't say anything about GunBroker in my post, not sure how you got that from me ????? [?]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Take them to small claims court.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JettRink
    I have sold a gun which was delivered by USPS over 2 months ago. It was delivered in a hard plastic case and taped up. Upon arrival, the stock was broken. The carrier took the gun since he could not accept a damaged gun. I had insured it and the buyer filed a claim. The insurance was for $500 which was about the sale price
    Since then the post office has given him the run around for over 2 months. First they said he cant recover shipping cost, he does not have the proper paperwork and how do they know he is the person on the GunBroker sales document. I have provide him all the insurance information as well as the GunBroker listing. I talked to my local post office and they gave me contact info for that post office and the carrier.
    At this point he has made 4-5 trips to the post office to help expedite the claim.
    I have lost total faith in this delivery method and will not use them again?Other details would make this too long, but is there some way GunBroker can assist in these matters to help him get his money back.

Thanks in advance

You shipped it; you insured it. YOU should file the claim. The buyer/recipient is going to have a hard time trying to put in a claim for an item you shipped.

You refund him the money he paid for the auction, then work out the insurance issue with the Post Office. They probably don't won't the firearm, so you'll probably do best accepting it back and accepting an insurance payment for the damage (which won't be the full amount it was insured for).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Actually, looking back, I would have thought the same. But the buyer decided to file since the gun was in the hands of his local post office. We were told they should not have taken the gun. It looks like they do acknowledge that he has a claim but they are still dragging their feet. Government + union = incompetence.[V]
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the idea of suing the local postmaster, by name, not the USPS. That makes it personal and in THEIR best interest to clear up the dispute. [:D]