In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

GB Site Pop-ups and Malware Infection

Legacy CollectiblesLegacy Collectibles Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited August 2013 in General Discussion
I was wondering if other folks are experiencing non-GB sponsored pop-ups when they log in and move about the site. I go to many different sites each days and do not see to have problems elsewhere.

My virus removal is required after each such visit to GB and its showing all kinds of malware and tracking cookies. If others are experiencing a similar problem then the malware could be attaching itself to the GB site and it will need to be addressed by their IT personnel.

Let me know if I am the only one seeing this.

Sean
LC

Comments

• Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Legacy CollectiblesLegacy Collectibles Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess the snicker by JN and the recommendation of using a different virus cleaner tells me the answer is yet. Again, why is it only GB who appears to generate this problem.

I know Virus issues are rampant in the network these days. I've worked on computers since 1973, so I am not a newcomer to technology. As a GB member for several years, all I can say that these attacks seemingly started about two months ago...at least to me.

One can't help but think that if these is a pervasive problem, then the attacks are not random but directed to GB. Its worth more than just a snicker JN.

Sean
    LC
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    I use a Mac and I haven't had any trouble.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are the only one seeing this.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use IE at work and Firefox at home. Neither haver popups. Must be the individual computer. Definitely not something hosted on GB.
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No you are not the only one to ever have the problem. Daughters computer picked up a trojan from some Game site and the pop ups on it only appeared on GB also. Norton, Adware and none of the others could find the problem. So I installed Kaspersky Labs Internet Security onto her computer and it found and cured the problem within a few minutes. She has not had a single problem since.

Kaspersky's Internet Security 2013 can be downloaded from their site and they offer a free 30 trail.

Are you connected in any way to Legacy Collectibles in Paoli, PA?
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use PC with no AV and never a problem for me. I practically live on here.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,260 ******
    edited November -1
    I've never seen any of what you speak on this site.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just took a walk over there. An anti Obammy video ad was in upper right corner, but that was all. Didn't interfere with any sales descriptions.

[;)][:D]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It starting to seem obvious that the virus is picked up elsewhere and something about the auction side format triggers it.

As been suggested before Malwarebytes should take care of it
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LaidbackDan
    It starting to seem obvious that the virus is picked up elsewhere and something about the auction side format triggers it.

As been suggested before Malwarebytes should take care of it

Yep.

It isn't GB. Or GBGD forum.

It might seem we all own stock in malwarebytes. But it is a good site.
  • Options
    GONESHOOTINGGONESHOOTING Member Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Need Microsoft essentials to clean it up!
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by skicat

Why would the criminals bother to write software to attack less than 2% of the computer user base? (Even though they are clearly much more gullible than the rest of the population)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Malware, especially this type of adware is written to look at the cookies on your computer, report back to its master and then deliver specific ads when ever your browser is on the target site. It has NOTHING to do with us, you have computer VD.....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dennisnielsen
    those using Kapersky do not

Yes and no, Kaspersky is awesome, but most of these types of problems you installed or agreed to and Kaspersky will not mess with that.
  • Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:you have computer VD.....

My suggestion of wearing condoms while cruising the internet doesn't sound so stupid now, does it?

Yes, yes it truly does
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LaidbackDan
    quote:you have computer VD.....

My suggestion of wearing condoms while cruising the internet doesn't sound so stupid now, does it?

Yes, yes it truly does

Awesome![:D]
  • Options
    1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is your Pop-up Blocker turned off?
  • Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Captain what is the best virus protection out there? I would ask the guys on here but they all want free stuff and I say nothing is free. I don't mind paying if it works. Trend titanium has been doing a good job but they let a virus through that destroyed my computer. They are giving me a refund though.[:(]
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds fishy to me.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rosie
    Captain what is the best virus protection out there? I would ask the guys on here but they all want free stuff and I say nothing is free. I don't mind paying if it works. Trend titanium has been doing a good job but they let a virus through that destroyed my computer. They are giving me a refund though.[:(]

5 stars for Kaspersky Internet Security 2013

I've never had a problem and used Kaspersky for the past several years. Only virus, and a bad one, that got into my puter was never stopped or detected by Trend Micro. Horrible anti-virus software.
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rosie, I'm running Windows 7. My browser is Firefox 22.0 with AdBlock Plus and the pop-up blocker "On." For "personal protection" I use Avast! and Malwarebytes. All of those are completely free.

Speaking of free, my computer is completely free of any kind of virus or vermin. Every month, my Avast tells me that it has stopped or removed zero items of malware.

I am, however, reasonably careful about the sites I visit. I do not use online games, I have never been to Facebook, and I watch very few videos.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,260 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    Rosie, I'm running Windows 7. My browser is Firefox 22.0 with AdBlock Plus and the pop-up blocker "On." For "personal protection" I use Avast! and Malwarebytes. All of those are completely free.

Speaking of free, my computer is completely free of any kind of virus or vermin. Every month, my Avast tells me that it has stopped or removed zero items of malware.

I am, however, reasonably careful about the sites I visit. I do not use online games, I have never been to Facebook, and I watch very few videos.
    +1 Same here.
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dennisnielsen
    those using Kapersky do not
    I had Kaspersky - but I quit using it, and got my order refunded.

Kaspersky antivirus and firewall kept deactivating when my screensaver became active - and it didn't come back on.

That's when I desided that that exact type of "security" was not for me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rosie

The free stuff is worth exactly what you pay for it. I use Kaspersky at home and the office and on my Android and even the Macs we have in the office. It is great for Virus' but the way some of the malware works is its part of something else you install and its written to trick you in to telling your AV solution to allow it. Some of the pop up ones are very aggrevating and hard to remove. I had an inter get one of the desktops here infected so bad I had to rebuild the machine.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those who run large servers with a gazillion people accessing them (like Capt Fun and the GB site) need much more powerful protection than those of us on home machines. For us, the free programs like Avast and Malwarebytes are plenty - as several of us have shown.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1

Same here.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Waco Waltz

Same here.

Its simple economics, the scammers are not going to waste their time writing a virus for less than 2% of the market share. There are however mac specific threats out there and we do install Kaspersky on the Macs in the office. The real threat is that even if they cant be infected by a PC virus that they could spread it through enail or the network unknowingly.
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    Multiple levels of defense is the best policy. I use Kaspersky, MalwareBytes and NoScript (a FireFox add-on)). All of them stop things the others miss.