In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The Prime Directive and the Constitution

Leeroy JenkinsLeeroy Jenkins Member Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2013 in General Discussion
Its time to amend the Constitution and add the Prime Directive to it. Yes... the Prime Directive from Star Trek.

In ST, the Prime Directive dictates that there can be no interference with the internal development of alien civilizations. Well, we would modify that to "development of another State/Country."

Don't get involved in someone else's civil war!

Comments

• Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Leeroy Jenkins
    Its time to amend the Constitution and add the Prime Directive to it. Yes... the Prime Directive from Star Trek.

In ST, the Prime Directive dictates that there can be no interference with the internal development of alien civilizations. Well, we would modify that to "development of another State/Country."

Didn't they break that directive several times?

It seems they can't follow their own laws either.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by guntech59
    quote:Originally posted by Leeroy Jenkins

Didn't they break that directive several times?

It seems they can't follow their own laws either.

That was always Captain James Tiberius Kirk breaking the Prime Directive. If he had been under my command, I would have had him court-martialled and shot! [:D]
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was also one episode of ST: Voyager where Starfleet orders said that the Prime Directive was suspended upon discovery of the "Omega Particle." The episode was "The Omega Directive."

Basically, the directive said that the Omega particle was to be destroyed at all costs whenever it was encountered, regardless of how that destruction effected alien civilizations.
  • Options
    0oAKo47o00oAKo47o0 Member Posts: 409 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7
    There was also one episode of ST: Voyager where Starfleet orders said that the Prime Directive was suspended upon discovery of the "Omega Particle." The episode was "The Omega Directive."

Basically, the directive said that the Omega particle was to be destroyed at all costs whenever it was encountered, regardless of how that destruction effected alien civilizations.

I stand corrected! I never got into ST: Voyager or Deep Space Nine.
  • Options
    PTHEIMPTHEIM Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7

Can't really fault them in this one for not following the PD. I mean they (Voyager) were a little bit out of their jurisdiction at the time.
    But, I agree w/ the OP, not that the current admin. would follow the rules themselves. They seems to like doing what they want.
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    Missed that episode. I eventually grew tired of the ST: Voyager road trip and stopped watching. Found this blurb about Omega:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Omega_Directive

The Constitution is fine the way it is, I'd leave it alone.

Syria's nut job has long had a pressing need for cruise missiles. Sending him some now just seems like the polite and neighborly thing to do, seeing as how he has practically begged us for them.

When that's done when we can employ some folks to make new cruise missiles. Refill our stocks.

Dead nut jobs, Americans far removed from the violence and a spurt of employment in our missile factories.

Perfect symmetry.