In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

CMP issues low ammo warning

JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in General Discussion
CMP has notified memebers they will be out of 30-06 in clips within 2 weeks, and the 200 rnd loose ammo should be available for several more years.

Comments

• Options
    countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    I have enough clips to last several lifetimes at the rate I shoot. I would like to squirrel away a couple more cans of ammo though.
  • Options
    CDMeadCDMead Member Posts: 2,141 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone have experience with the cans of loose rounds the CMP is selling? I'm a little leary of getting rounds that have been stored improperly causing rusted clips and spoiled packaging making the rounds loose.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just got a can of 200 rnds loose from the cmp on Monday and I was surprised at how clean it was. I had 1 round, right on top that was badly damaged, I checked each round and did not find another round that was corroded, rusted or otherwise unfit for shooting.

The loose ammo is delinked -06. You can see the marks from the belts. They no longer sell the linked -06, if they did I would grab one of those as well.

The ammo cans are dull green, but properly marked with some small rust on the outside. Nothing that concerned me.

They state that up to 5% of the ammo can be bad, but I haven't seen it near that. Matter of fact, out of 1 can of ammo on clips and 1 can of loose, I have so far found 2 bullets I would not fire. The brass is bright and clean, esp in the clips, it looks like nearly brand new ammo. The loose is very clean but not bright and shinny.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the review. At the rate I'm shooting I have several lifetimes (actually infinite lifetimes [:(] ) worth of M2 ball, but....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here is my thinking. We aren't looking at shtf situation anytime soon. maybe sooner than we suspect, but not in the immediate future. Our lifetime, maybe, but between now and 2020, probably not.

With all the wars that have raged on over the past 10 years, I have a gut feeling surplus ammo is vanishing. We can see this with virtually NO south African 5.56 or 7.62x51 battle packs being found any where. What is out there is .50 a round or more, which is better than $1 a year or so ago. So I am not buying up everything I can afford, because I think shtf is around the corner, I am buying it because I think it will be cost effective to shoot in the median future (5-7 years)

I can sell you 7.62x51 linked ammo (NOT CMP AMMO), 250 rounds in a sealed can delivered to your door for $125 all day long (unless you are in one of those 5 states who are scared of links). But for how long? As of right now, this is about the only nato surplus available.

My future vision is we wake up in the near future with NO nato surplus ammo available. everything will be EXPENSIVE new production commercial grade.

Is this good or bad? I am not sure. But the past tells me that things disappear when you least expect it to and when it's gone, we all say the same thing. damn, why didn't I...

Here is my best example: South African 5.56 in 300 round battle packs/ 9 packs to a 2700 round case. I had the chance to buy one case for $250 10 yrs ago. 8 Years ago I get one for $300. Last time I saw these they were going for $150 for a single battle pack. I wish I had got 10 cases of it.

Will we ever see .15 round 5.56? I don't think so. hopefully I am wrong.
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two cans and the clips & brass are in great shape.

Trinity +++
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thermonuclear
    Here is my thinking. We aren't looking at shtf situation anytime soon. maybe sooner than we suspect, but not in the immediate future. Our lifetime, maybe, but between now and 2020, probably not.

With all the wars that have raged on over the past 10 years, I have a gut feeling surplus ammo is vanishing. We can see this with virtually NO south African 5.56 or 7.62x51 battle packs being found any where. What is out there is .50 a round or more, which is better than $1 a year or so ago. So I am not buying up everything I can afford, because I think shtf is around the corner, I am buying it because I think it will be cost effective to shoot in the median future (5-7 years)

I can sell you 7.62x51 linked ammo, 250 rounds in a sealed can delivered to your door for $125 all day long (unless you are in one of those 5 states who are scared of links). But for how long? As of right now, this is about the only nato surplus available.

My future vision is we wake up in the near future with NO nato surplus ammo available. everything will be EXPENSIVE new production commercial grade.

Is this good or bad? I am not sure. But the past tells me that things disappear when you least expect it to and when it's gone, we all say the same thing. damn, why didn't I...

Hey, thermo..the ball is listed as M80, correct? And will the links still have the tracers? Thanks, Joe
  • Options
    bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    got a link?
    I did not get the notice, and I couldn't find anything on their website
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bhale187
    got a link?
    I did not get the notice, and I couldn't find anything on their website

C&P from the email:

"CLIPPED .30-06 AMMO SOLD OUT: We project that our item 4C3006X215-192P, (192 rounds of.30-06 ammo in clips and bandoleers) will sell out in the next week or two. The only HXP ammo we will have for sale is 4C3006X000-200P (200 rds of .30-06 ammo loose in .30 cal ammo can) for the next few years. New manufacture commercial .30-06 ammo is also available."

BTW - According to the CMP forums, this is sold out now.