In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Spring Offensive!

pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
edited April 2014 in General Discussion
149 years ago,April 1st 1865! The Last Battle of the War against Northern Aggression,was fought less than a mile from where I currently reside....My Great Grand Father was 18 years old,a private in the 46th Mississippi, Co I....on picket duty when captured .Survived the massacre(Bayonetted) of captured troops by black troops before the Northern Commander had it stopped!Served six months imprisoned on Deer Island in Ms.After he was paroled,he came back to Alabama,and married the girl he met while on a troop train coming to Mobile.She was a relative of Gen. Joseph Wheeler from Georgia.16,000 troops from the North attacked 4000 southern boys...The Battle of Blakely.....springOffensive_zpsee39c56a.jpg

Comments

• woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    I Sure Am Glad Your Great Grandfather Made it If not for that I would Not know You P. My Pleasure[^]
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,454 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nice story Paul . thanks for sharing
  • beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My great, great grandfather fought with the 31st Mississippi Infantry, Company D. Was wounded, captured and paroled at Vicksburg.
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • rambo rebelrambo rebel Member Posts: 4,028
    edited November -1
    have metal detector - will travel[:D]
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Oh Yeah?? well my great...grandfather rode alongside General Sherman on the tour through Tennessee and Georgia. In northern Georgia they met with a local resident and asked her how far it was to Atlanta. She replied "Two looks and a right smart *" Sure enough, they proceeded to a ridge from which they could see in the direction of Atlanta, dropped over the ridge and up the next one, from which they could also see in the direction of Atlanta; then down the hill and several hours/days march and they arrived in Atlanta. I haven't plotted Sherman's route on a topographical map to see where the woman lived.
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The South will rise again...[;)]
  • the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    I had kin on my fathers side that marched with good old Sherman too. He was in the cavalry and was on the march to the sea and right up to the final surrender near Durham NC. He was one of 4 brothers who joined up in 1861. Of the other three, one died when a horse kicked him into the Ohio river in the winter of 1862 ( his body was never found), another died from a accident at a place called Shelby farm in central KY. He is buried at the National Cemetery in Lexington KY. The third fought in almost all of the Army of the Potomac's major battles until he lost his leg while turning back Lee's final offensive at Fort Stedman.

On my mothers side I have one who joined up in 1861 and fought at Gettysburg, again in the cavalry, and was captured later and sent to Andersonville, where he died. I have his carbine in my safe (he bought it himself, and when he was issued one by the Army, he left it with his wife, and it got handed down through the years).

We all have a heritage to be proud of!!
  • woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    You Back Alreadyquote:Originally posted by the middle
    I had kin on my fathers side that marched with good old Sherman too. He was in the cavalry and was on the march to the sea and right up to the final surrender near Durham NC. He was one of 4 brothers who joined up in 1861. Of the other three, one died when a horse kicked him into the Ohio river in the winter of 1862 ( his body was never found), another died from a accident at a place called Shelby farm in central KY. He is buried at the National Cemetery in Lexington KY. The third fought in almost all of the Army of the Potomac's major battles until he lost his leg while turning back Lee's final offensive at Fort Stedman.

On my mothers side I have one who joined up in 1861 and fought at Gettysburg, again in the cavalry, and was captured later and sent to Andersonville, where he died. I have his carbine in my safe (he bought it himself, and when he was issued one by the Army, he left it with his wife, and it got handed down through the years).

We all have a heritage to be proud of!!
  • hogpopshogpops Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Dad's (who's still living) uncle served in the war. I think he was too young to fight, but was a flag bearer. My grand dad was born in 1866 and his father was born in 1821, I think. I would think there are not too many people alive today that are one generation away from someone who served in the Civil War.
  • NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie

And do what?
  • NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    GET THERE * KICKED AGAIN[:D][:D][:D]quote:Originally posted by Navybat

And do what?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Navybat

And do what?
    Fight like we did before..
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NOAH

And do what?

We actually won more battles than the North! With less men and equipment! 4 to 1 is great odds if you were a Federalist ..[:o)]
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Those black boys are STILL sticking things.. They even have videos showing em do it [:0]
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1

What?? you think anyone in the North or West would stop the South and all their problems from seceding?, heck, we'll help you fill out the paperwork.
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    ln exchange Ray,we would send ALL the illegals, sodomites,and libbers to the ''NORTHLEFT COAST'' where they belong [:D]
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Again? It did the first time?
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NOAH

And do what?

We actually won more battles than the North! With less men and equipment! 4 to 1 is great odds if you were a Federalist ..[:o)]

The Army of northern Virigina won more than it lost.....not so with the other Confederate armies.