In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

storm damage, insurance, & liability

Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in General Discussion
A storm took part of a limb off a tree in my g/f's yard. It landed on her neighbor's house knocking a small
section of guttering loose on the near side and much of the limb went over the house.

The neighbor thinks they've hit the lottery and my g/f's homeowner's insurance is going to pay big money for
roof repairs, but there doesn't appear to be any damage. I made the mistake of pointing out the coping
shingles look odd and neighbor thinks the limb going over had something to do with it.

I offered to reattach the gutter at no cost. Neighbor won't hear of it. Pretty sure nobody's insurance
is going to pay to repair that gutter. It probably costs less than the owner's deductible and I don't see how
my g/f's insurance company would find any liability on her part.

I suppose there's a slight chance they might pay since it would cost less than defending a lawsuit.

DSC08155_zpsnce3m71r.jpg
I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No worries, just call your agent some states have laws when tree branches are as close as they are and the property owner does not trim them back. Looks like his roof is overdue for a replacement and I sure don't see any shingle damage.

Sleep easy there is not much he can do to get a new roof on your dime.
  • Options
    320090T320090T Member Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are responsible for your own house. My sisters house was damaged by a fire at her next door neighbors, sisters insurance had to take care or her house.
  • Options
    KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A $10 piece of guttering and about 20 minutes of labor and it'll be back up to it's original condition.
  • Options
    ROY222ROY222 Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    New Roof, New gutters, New siding, and medical damages from where he was thrown off his couch from the impact of the limb.
    This is going to cost you.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Keep an eye out for the adjuster, when he shows up, be sure to let him know that the neighbor hasn't done any repairs for 10 years, and thinks he's getting a new house.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rather stingy of you to deny rebuiding his shack...even where they blocked off an old door...looks like the OLD asbestos siding from pre EPa days....tell em urban renewal will NOT rebuild his urban blight for FREE...suggest a demolition outfit
  • Options
    320090T320090T Member Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh, when they fix the gutters and repair the siding, the electrical will have to be updated as well. Looks like some code violations there. Bend over Mark!
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless he sent her registered letter complaining about her tree being sick and in someway a danger to his property, it's not her responsibility to take care of any of the damage suffered to him. His homeowners insurance has got to take care of it.

I have a neighbor that had a sick tree, and I asked them to remove it. They refused to, so I called my insurance company, and that is what they told me to do. They told me if I do not send him a registered letter about it then it will be my responsibility to take care of it at the damages.

And because I already informed my insurance company about that tree, they said they will not cover any damages if the wind storm brought down some or all of that tree on my house.

So I wrote a letter stating that they had a sicktree and that it was in danger of damaging my house, and if they do not fix the problem and it damages my house, they will be liable for damages, not only physical damages, but civil damages.

When he received The letter, he came over and started chewing me out telling me that it would be my responsibility if it damaged my house because that's what his insurance company told him. I told him you better contact a lawyer about this because this is what my insurance company said.. now that you have been lawfully informed through registered mail you will be liable for the damages. A week later he cut the tree down. That was over a year ago, he still hasn't talk to me. Which makes me happy
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My tree fell on my neighbors garage. Called my agent, he said it was an Act of God and their insurance has to handle it. If I was cutting it and it happened, then my insurance would handle it.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had the majority of a large limb drop on the neighbors propety at a rental. Also a big piece on my property. My insurance agent said what was on the neighbors property was his problem. The old man who lived there was a neat guy who I realy liked. I cleaned it all up and his grandson helped me with some of it. In that case it was the right thing to do.
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 50 ft fell intro the neighbors yard. My responsibility and his was split at the property line.
    10 ft of tree in my yard - 40 in his. We both had insurance and they each did their part.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No worries. Your friend is in good hands. Deductables will cover all of that noise...

Rest assured. Insurance companies like banks have it all coverd.
    "What is truth?'