In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger .44mag. Carbine. -

84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
edited April 2018 in General Discussion
What optics would you suggest? I have one open sight. Bidding on another. I'm thinking a Simmons Pro Series, Diamond Reticle shotgun scope, would be very good/perfect.

I've got one on my Savage 24V .30-.30 over 20 ga. It's perfect for the calibre/range. Fast acquisition, is key at the range in question. Suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a Weaver v-3 mounted on the one that I had. That same scope is no mounted on a Marlin 45-70
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,693 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    https://www.GunBroker.com/item/760565375

I'm just sayin'......this one is pretty nice! [:D]
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    https://www.GunBroker.com/item/760565375

I'm just sayin'......this one is pretty nice! [:D]

Don't be teasing me, with stuff that is not for sale yet.
  • Options
    BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a zeiss on mine. Got it before deer season last year sighted in at around 50 yds and took a nice deer with it last year. I have to figure the lower reticle marks for 100 and 150 this summer.

I used a good scope for morning and evening lower light conditions.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Frankly, I'd go with a ghost ring rear and a post'n'globe front; it's not like you're gonna be shooting 400yards with that rig.
    Unless your eyes are getting bad, then I'd go with a 40mm red dot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505
    Frankly, I'd go with a ghost ring rear and a post'n'globe front; it's not like you're gonna be shooting 400yards with that rig.

Have one open sight.

(Yes, my eyes are beginning to Suck.)

One low magnification scoped would be nice.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505

I have a red dot on mine. I have a cataract in my right eye that makes it look like there is a dot in the middle of any open rear sight.
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am afraid you are starting to have a gun addiction. I don't want to enable you with any suggestions. We need to keep an eye on folks like you.[}:)][:D]
  • Options
    jbetjbet Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Leupold FX 1 22 Rimfire 4 x 28 scope on mine. I thought that that would be ideal for the effective range of that gun. Leupold agreed with me.
    Jim
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Carbines have a history of jamming. Id like one but dont know if they cured the problem. What did you hear about them.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 2 of them, an old model and the newer Deerfield that uses detachable mags. The manual with the newer one warns against using aluminum cased ammo. This could lead to malfunctions or other problems.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by JimmyJack
    Carbines have a history of jamming. Id like one but dont know if they cured the problem. What did you hear about them.
    [/quote

Mine is the lever action version no problems.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,801 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JimmyJack

The Ruger 44 carbine is reliable.

The problem of these fine rifles jamming was almost always caused from the use of lead or cast bullets. Years ago, I has a conversation with a smith who has worked on dozens of these rifles. In every case he said the jamming was caused by leading. The other problem he spoke of was people taking them apart and could not put back together.

The manual says do not use cast bullet as their use will damage the gas system. Jacketed only.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Are the early ones marked "Deerslayer," worth double the ones (1970'ish) 4 round tube fed, without this marking? (I did not pay $750-800 for mine.) Indications and predictions are that another I was bidding on, ("4 miserable photos,") will go this route.

Wondering.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 Ghostring. Keep a low profile.
    "What is truth?'