In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A stock market adjustment ???

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2017 in General Discussion
Anyone making any adjustments to your retirement accounts to get ready for the storm? We all know it's coming, but when is the big question. Was listening to a few talking heads in the last week, and both said that over 75% of the larger stock market corrections have started in the month of October. Maybe it's next month or next year, but I'm going to put some of my fleet in a little smaller harbor to see if I can stop some damage. Guess I'm willing to sacrifice some smaller earnings in order to avoid some larger losses....What say you[?]

Comments

• Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Easy to feel that way, you may miss some appreciation you may save some loss.

The closer I get to retirement the more conservative my investments become. You can earn a good dividend in some fairly stout stocks that didn't tank in 08.

As far as calling the event good luck, sure we all know it WILL happen but it could be three more years or tomorrow.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    oldrideroldrider Member Posts: 4,934 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wish my crystal ball was working. I have a little dough to put in after the "adjustment."
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I play the mkt daily...and have hedged my bet...sold some and looking for cheap stocks...buying nothing above 10.00...muual funds are my base as well as offshore stocks and funds...
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's near October and with the war drums beating who knows ?? but I'm playing it safe and selling while I'm ahead, not greedy just trying to be smart and plenty of other ways to re-invest [:)]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not selling, but are not investing at the moment.

That 0.1% return at the bank is pretty sweet.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus

Schwab S&P 500 has been great since the election...15000 investment now worth 17250...
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some pretty good dividend stocks and a few are "Dogs of the Dow" yet reliable dividend payers. Also some solid Preferred stocks that will pay out.

I like Communications, Utilities, some regional banks that are well managed and even some of the energy companies.

Not going to grow like a FANG stock but they won't go bankrupt and they are paying a decent return.

quote:Originally posted by Don McManus

Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The biggest concern should be where to invest. Not if or "get out for a while", although I did sell off 25% of stocks in Feb. but have almost totally reallocated.

I live in a country where 3000 pesos = one dollar, almost no one owns stocks, no IRA, banks pay zero interest, no safe deposit boxes, and not a big "middle class".

Yet, 5%? do quite well because they own primarily real estate and large agriculture businesses and ranch lands, after that real property like income producing vehicles, machines, their own business, corporations etc.

Inflation, not much worry, folks will make more money and pay more for real estate, homes, food, clothing, and goods in general.

People here DO NOT keep a lot of cash. They are always looking to invest or "flip" property.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Defense industries have always been good to me so I stick with them, they always get government money whether for R&D or for purchases [;)]...good old American soil is another, that's one even the foreigners go after [:)]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The talking heads that I listen to said that stocks such as Home Depot and Lowes would be a good bet after the recent hurricanes...
  • Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stem cell therapy is doing miracles on Stroke victim's brains now,could be a winner if you know the right company that has the right to manufacture it and it could be sooner than you think!

They expanding trials to another 150 people this could be a big advance for brain and nerve injuries.

serf

https://sciencelife.uchospitals.edu/2017/08/28/clinical-trial-uses-stem-cells-to-help-patients-recover-from-stroke/
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like my stock reallocation paid off. This will be the best month since July of 2017 ![:D]

The petrodollar being based in gold/yuan isn't much of a concern because I pay 500 pesos a cup for coffee so maybe $50 U.S.D. won't be that bad.

Wait,, S.S. is tied to inflation so nothing to worry about[?]
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,147 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Other than put in 15 years at this current job (be it fired or quit) cash out the 401K after and take the penalty hit nope.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The wall street sharks are over due to screw the little guy...

Real estate and metals are ready to roll on the news.
    "What is truth?'