In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hearing Aids

dog1944dog1944 Member Posts: 295 ✭✭
edited August 2015 in General Discussion
There have been several threads asking for recommendations or experiences, these may fit the needs of some of you.

A little over $200, returnable within 30 days.

https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/personal-sound-amplifiers/bean-qsa.html

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I just got out of an exam and now have proof that my hearing is shot.
    Actually was not as bad as I expected.
    The estimate was a bit of a shock, $4200 for a set that is a good shot gun.
    How does this compare to some of your costs, I know that I need them but the cost was surprising.
    Larry
  • Options
    edited November -1
    guess its time....been putting it off severe hearing loss according to test...

recommendations?

doctor will know whats best???

my ear canals are practically non existent...will that be a problem

really dont want anything thats really noticable

thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I tried my Moms on and i really can not hear worth a crap. I had no idea i was that bad.[:(]

I have worked on machines my whole life. 10 years working on F-16s, T-38s and T-37s.[:(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, I'm starting to go to the hearing aid places to check them out for what helps me most and what God-awful price I will have to pay.
    First, I'm going to an independent dealer who carries several different brands and styles.
    Anybody have some suggestions or personal experiences to offer?
  • Options
    Da-TankDa-Tank Member Posts: 4,074
    edited November -1
    Got mine from the V.A. No cost to me.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    kabarkabar Member Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also got mine from the VA but the doctor told me the set that I got would have cost me $7000.00. Sure is a lot of money.
  • Options
    dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Mom just bought a pair. They had 3 choices 1500, 1900, 2300. Per ear so the cost was 3000, 3800, 4600.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Mom has had some from Resound. Several of my friends parents also have them and they are delighted with them. My Mother in Law went with cheap ones after we told her what to get. She of course hated them, didnt wear them and ended up returning them within the refund period. She's still stone deaf...

Like most things you pay for what you get. Yes they are expensive. My hearing protection for shooting runs around $2500 list. They are essentially specialized hearing aids. They are super comfortable and do a GREAT job.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    from the Va. cost to public 7 K8inch self propell and long tom 175 will do that to you
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine are RESOUND $4000.00.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ridiculously expensive....
  • Options
    MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    quote:Originally posted by MBK
    My Go$h.

Try these first!

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/siemens-hearing-aids

All depends on your exact hearing loss. This type basically is just an amplifier across all frequencies.

The Dot and Resound only amplify the specific frequencies one can't hear well plus are designed to cancel out background noise like wind, etc.

Plus the Resound people do an excellent job to reprogram the units as your hearing continues to change. I know Mom goes back every six months or so (at no cost) and they check her hearing and adjust the programming on the units to keep it optimal. When I was tested as they were making my Sport Ears, they said the only frequencies I had trouble with were my wifes voice....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Price is for Liberty at Sams club 5yr warranty and and they will adjust them for free fully digital and no charge adjustments.
    They are 64 channel behind the ear.
    I use the the ear protectors with the noise cancelling features.
    I found that I can hear better with the protectors on
    I am 71 and have had my share of ear damaging noise
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,999 ******
    edited November -1
    phonak Nadia Q with T coil,,8 grand.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    harbor frieght 15.00 each.. the old fashion kind sporting goods store ,,hunters ear
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kabar
    Also got mine from the VA but the doctor told me the set that I got would have cost me $7000.00. Sure is a lot of money.

please name the product.

thanx.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:
    Plus the Resound people do an excellent job to reprogram the units as your hearing continues to change. I know Mom goes back every six months or so (at no cost) and they check her hearing and adjust the programming on the units to keep it optimal. When I was tested as they were making my Sport Ears, they said the only frequencies I had trouble with were my wifes voice....

Better get some correction for that Capt., that can be a fatal frequency range to lose![:0]
  • Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not a Vet? Checkout COSTCO. Mine were $2000 about 2 years ago. Good service, rechargeable batteries, full hearing test, haven't taken them back for a free adjustment because there hasn't been a need to.

Jim
  • Options
    WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    My dad's were in the $5k-$6k range. Somehow he lost them. He has dementia. Can't find then anywhere. Afraid they got thrown out. Medicare doesn't pay for them. Got to figure out how to replace them. [V]
  • Options
    WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Barzillia
    quote:Originally posted by Wrangler
    My dad's were in the $5k-$6k range. Somehow he lost them. He has dementia. Can't find then anywhere. Afraid they got thrown out. Medicare doesn't pay for them. Got to figure out how to replace them. [V]

If in a long term care facility and receiving Medicaid, they are usually covered under your state's plan.

Thanks for the info for future reference. Both parents live at home on their own and are on Medicare plus supplement insurance.
  • Options
    Ford 23Ford 23 Member Posts: 3,129
    edited November -1
    I have a recent set from VA, get new ones every two years, have a 10 per cent. I think without the 10 per cent they will replace on four year basis

Kind of walk the same path as HOBO mentioned only mine lay on the dresser. Have learned if anyone has something important to say talk louder or keep to yourself. I'm also 80 and have heard chit file is full no more room. Have to go to a family thing tomorrow, they will talk about the same old things they talked about twenty years ago---hearing aids will stay on the dresser, will see lips moving give a periodic nod now and then everybody's happy especially me enjoying the quite

Wear them going to the Doctors or something I consider very important otherwise on the dresser

What I do find interesting, my son can't believe, will pick up an unusual noise in machinery without the hearing aids (engines etc) he doesn't catch. He will get hold of me ask me to come to the shop and listen for something he isn't picking up
  • Options
    reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I find this thread interesting because I am suffering from hearing loss, but thus far have had it tested only at Sam's club. The aids they allowed me to test didn't really do much for me. Good aids are so very expensive that I am really concerned about getting "bad" or the "wrong" ones...I can't afford to be wrong. I remember spending thousands on different ones for my dad, and he was never happy with any of them.

I have had several people tell me how incredibly easy it is to get VA benefits, even if one is not disabled, so I applied. They replied that it isn't going to happen. VA said I am in "...Priority Group 8g due to your household income exceeding VA's established financial thresholds...not eligible for VA health care enrollment at this time..." I'm retired and my income isn't that high, but as far as VA is concerned I'm just SOL.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i could hear better if i could get rid of this screaming tinnitus
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:spasmcreek

I do find the hearing aids reduce the screaming. Don't know about anyone else kind of curious if does for others also
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got a good deal on EBay for one that I use. It's a little bulky but the price was right.

Man-with-ear-trumpet-_zpsf6b10688.jpg
  • Options
    kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Went to the VA, need a hearing aid on the side of the explosion that wounded me.
    Now I am getting all kinds of mail advertising hearing aids and services. HUH?
  • Options
    ochocoochoco Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ford 23
    quote:spasmcreek

I do find the hearing aids reduce the screaming. Don't know about anyone else kind of curious if does for others also
    My hearing aids help with my tinnitus. When one goes down the tinnitus comes back in a day or two. Where did you get that you get new hearing aids every two years? I was in for repairs on mine this spring. They told me mine will be five years old this fall so I can get an appointment this fall to get new ones. I have 10% from hearing lose and 10% from tinnitus.
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    YO...., KaBar!!

quote:
    Originally posted by kabar

please name the product.

thanx.
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:ochoco
    Where did you get that you get new hearing aids every two years?

With a 10 percent the rules are different

Where did I get it? From the VA in this area, if you have to wait five years you better locate another VA.
  • Options
    sgm hagsgm hag Member Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Met a homeless guy who tried to panhandle me until I noticed his aids. When I asked about them he offered two alternatives to high costs; 1) check the obits in the paper. see if the deceased used aids and can you have them. 2) If you got some money, Harbor Frieght has a decent pair for about $10. comes with several sizes earpieces.

I happened to be in Harbor Frieght one day and checked out their offering. surprized to see they were very, very similar to my Mom's $3000 aids! biggest dif was her "fitted" earpiece,...and the price!