In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Slug guns revisited, next question

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited August 2015 in General Discussion
Just hit the BIN on two Mossberg rifled slug guns, one for me and one for her [:D]

For busting elk (if the herd is at the house we have to use slugs) what is a good choice in slugs? Rifled barrels we need sabots correct?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Don't wanna tickle them, wanna eat one!
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,091 ******
    edited November -1
    Sabot slugs is correct. Shot of any size through a rifled barrel will not pattern worth a darn,will foul up the barrel real fast,and defeats the purpose of a rifled barrel.

What sabot to use? Try a couple different ones and see which performs best in your gun. I don't know why,but I have seen gun/barrels be identical,yet each like a different load. Don't go and buy a lot of any slugs until you try several and find the one your barrel likes.
  • Options
    mossberg500manmossberg500man Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive always heard good things about the Hornady ssts or the rem accu tips, your results may vary
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My 12ga has the rifled barrel. I shoot sabot slugs.
    Denise has a smooth bore on her 20ga,so she shoots rifled slugs,the rifling being on the slug itself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Where do you buy yours at Joe? She was at Walmart this evening and they didn't have any. I need to order some rifle ammo and was going to order some slugs as well.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hard to find slugs around here. We have found some (the ones Denise uses) at the shedorn by you,but mostly have ordered from online.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sportsmans warehouse use to have the hornady sst.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok, I'm going to be in Reno tomorrow, I'll stop in at Cabellas (maybe find some .22s!!)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [^][^][;)][;)][;)]
  • Options
    mossberg500manmossberg500man Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Big Sky Redneck
    Where do you buy yours at Joe? She was at Walmart this evening and they didn't have any. I need to order some rifle ammo and was going to order some slugs as well.
    i see them at gander mtn by me typically but any good gunshop should have both brands or at least 1
  • Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I cast my own sabot slugs and use factory sabots. The factory slugs I use are the BRI (Ballistic Research Industries)wasp waist sabot. It looks like a huge airgun pellet and weighs in around 600 grains. Super accurate and devastating knockdown. I shot a buck facing me and the slug entered the throat patch and traveled the full body length and stopped in the hind quarter. Its an older design slug, but it works for me.

A couple years ago, I saw a guy shoot 2 nice bucks back to back using a Remington "Aero" sabot. It was a spitzer style slug with holes around the poly tip. Supposedly, these "Aero" slugs will group out to 200 yards, but at $3.00 a shot, I have not tried. Sabot technology has really progressed in the past few decades.

Good luck hunting. Don
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hornady SST's are as stated a very nice choice and they work well in mine.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,640 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    Sabot slugs is correct. Shot of any size through a rifled barrel will not pattern worth a darn,will foul up the barrel real fast,and defeats the purpose of a rifled barrel.

What sabot to use? Try a couple different ones and see which performs best in your gun. I don't know why,but I have seen gun/barrels be identical,yet each like a different load. Don't go and buy a lot of any slugs until you try several and find the one your barrel likes.

I lived in Illinois which is a slug gun only state, no rifles except
    Muzzleloaders. Between my sons and I we had 4 different Remington 870's with rifled slug barrels. We did quite a bit of testing with lots of different brands of sabot slugs. Each gun shot better with a different brand/load....

As Joe said find a few different makers and find the one that works best. A final thought, we tried several different 3" Sabots and did not find the results worth the extra recoil and price....

Good luck !!
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Brenneke slugs are very effective. I do not know how they shoot in a rifled barrel.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Man! I just typed a long informative response and lost it!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll have to try again later.

Summarize: The most consistent sabot I have found from gun to gun are remington copper solids. Not the fastest and range is limited to about 125 yards. Line up 2" high at 50 yards and you will be 2-3" low at 100, start elevating past 100 yards.

Most of the high velocity slugs will not hold accuracy past the 125 yards the copper solid is good for. However, some gun and slug combos can reach 175 yards plus. At $3 + or - a round finding the right combo can get expensive. If you find a good combo try to stock up, get the same lot number if you can.

A good group at 100 yards does not mean squat at 150 yards, I've groups spread like crazy. You have to test at the longer ranges to make sure the groups are holding.

Yes a short summary, imagine what the fist note was.
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,199 ******
    edited November -1
    + 3 on the Hornady SST.
    I use them in my 11/87 and Savage, both with rifled barrels, and they are dead on accurate.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would try a bunch of brands and see which shoot the best. Here are some brands:

Hornaday SST
    Winchester Dual Bond and XP3
    Lightfield Hybrid
    Federal Vital Shock
    Brenneke K O Sabot Shotgun, Red Magic sabot and the Super Sabot
    Remington Premier Accu-tip sabot, Copper Solid and Core-lockt Ultra sabot

With so many to choose from the trick is to find the ones that shoot the best from your gun. I don't know what the barrel twist rate is but I would imagine that the length of the slug and its velocity are going to determine which one shoots the best.

What kind of gun did you get a Pump, Auto or a bolt gun?

I have Hastings slug barrel(rifled) for my 1100. I like the Auto loader because a pump can be awkward to use in the prone, kneeling or from a stand. My gun likes the Remington Cor-loct ulta and the Hornaday SST slugs the best. It shoots the Brenneke super sabot pretty good when I can find them. I have a cantilever scope mount on mine with a Leupold 2x7 power scope. It is a good set up out to 150yds. That 1100 is the same one I use in 3 gun matches I just change out the barrel for hunting so its really 2 guns in one.
    RLTW