In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

went out and shot

Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2018 in General Discussion
a Rifle I have not shot in at least 42 years. My Dad brought it home from one of his business trips. He got it and 10 boxes of ammo for $50 from some guy who needed some money. He thought it would make a good deer rifle. I remember the ammo was a mix of civilian stuff and military.

1891 Argentine Mauser in 7.65x53. I have 2 boxes of ammo left and I shot one box and few rounds from another today. The Ammo was Norma 150gr bullets at 2900fps(So they say). I have about 50 pieces of brass now.

Sweet shooting gun, quite accurate, hits hard and is easy to handle. I am not a huge fan of cock on closing guns but this one is not too bad. Not too bad a trigger.

This gun has been sitting in a closet at my dads house for I don't know how long, undisturbed. It has no rust or any signs of misuse except the stock is split in 2 places but the splits would be easy to repair and don't effect the safety or function of the gun.

The cartridge is good looking round almost looks like a 308. I wounder why it never took off? I doubt I could $100 for it, heck the ammo is probably worth more than the gun.
RLTW

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    Firearms are made to be shot, not sit in a closet or gun safe for decades and decades ~ same for ammunition.

Shoot it and enjoy.

[^]

Very true. I am going through my Dads stuff and finding crap he has kept since I was a kid. He is in a ALF and has demintia(He is 88) and other problems but I bring some stuff I find so he can look at it and remember things. I got his Hamilton watch fixed and gave it back to him. He really thought that was cool. Some old Fountain pens and rings and stuff.

He has a few guns left. For some reason about 10 years ago he sold most of his guns. He asked me if I wanted any of them, I told him 3 I wanted and he put them aside. The rest he sold.

I am not sure why he kept the 1891, he may have forgotten about it.

Mine looks just like this one:

https://www.GunBroker.com/item/783582871

I really cannot see paying that much but there it is. Yes the one I have is sporterized just like this one.
    RLTW

• Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam, the cartridge came out in 1889, and on par with the .308Win. Remington and Winchester both chambered their sporting rifles in the 7.65 into the 1930's. Takes a .313 bullet, but .312 and .311 work just as well reloading. You can make brass from '06 cases.
    Is the Argentine crest still on top of the receiver ring?
    Most are found ground off before they were imported. The two grooves on the handguard is where a piece of copper wire was used to attach it to the barrel.
    If the left receiver rail says "Loewe Berlin", it was made before 1899, and classified as an "Antique". Some of the DWM rifles were made between 1896 and 1899 too. With the serial number, I could tell you what year it was made.
    Unmolested, and all matching serial numbers, they'll bring $500, the Carbines will bring more. I've got the long rifle with the 2ft long sword bayonet that I gave my boy when he was about 13, the rifle w/bayo attached was longer than he was tall.[:)]
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an 1891 Argentine Mauser rifle - the full length infantry model...

I bought it as a project gun - intending to use it as a platform for a nice full sized sporting rifle and hunting piece...

The top wood was missing and the bolt had been renumbered at the arsenal - and I got a steal of a deal...

When I cleaned it up and took it to the range for testing I was more than pleased - at 100 yds it put 5 rounds into a .78" group from a bagged bench rest with iron sights.

I acquired several types of ammo both commercial and military surplus and they included a variety of bullet weights (including Norma and lapua) and went to the range a second time for additional test firing.

I fired 5 and 10 round groups slow fire at 100 yds from a bagged bench rest - ending up with 10 groups below 1" and 2 groups in the 1" to 1.25" range...

So I decided to keep it as is as a good range day gun that might one day be customized...

Since I was working at the gunshop in those days I began to squirrel away 7.65 Argentine ammo any chance I had (while taking it out for recreational target practice from time to time...

Towards the end of the gunshop days while the owner was dying from cancer I picked up the engineer carbine variant and set it side for future use.

After the owner died and the gunshop had been properly shut down I eventually did an ammo organization and inventory - and I have roughly 5000 rounds of surplus ammo and 500 of commercial and 500 empty commercial cases.

Both guns are superbly accurate and the recoil is modest compared to the 8mm Mauser or .30-06

It's a great hunting round for north American game.

Mike
  • Options
    leadlead Member Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've always loved the old Argentine Mausers. After milsurp ammo dried up, in the 90's I think, Norma ammo was about all we could find and it was expensive. Prvi Partisan started bringing in more affordable ammo, good quality ammo too.
    They shoot well, make very good deer rifles, and are just fun to shoot.
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate to say it, but you should not leave ANYTHING of any value with your dad if he has dementia and is in a ALF.

His stuff will be stolen, and the people in charge will simply say "Sorry, we aren't responsible". [:(]

We went through this with my uncle. It was terrible.

Merc

quote:Originally posted by Sam06
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    Firearms are made to be shot, not sit in a closet or gun safe for decades and decades ~ same for ammunition.

Shoot it and enjoy.

[^]

Very true. I am going through my Dads stuff and finding crap he has kept since I was a kid. He is in a ALF and has demintia(He is 88) and other problems but I bring some stuff I find so he can look at it and remember things. I got his Hamilton watch fixed and gave it back to him. He really thought that was cool. Some old Fountain pens and rings and stuff.

He has a few guns left. For some reason about 10 years ago he sold most of his guns. He asked me if I wanted any of them, I told him 3 I wanted and he put them aside. The rest he sold.

I am not sure why he kept the 1891, he may have forgotten about it.

Mine looks just like this one:

https://www.GunBroker.com/item/783582871

I really cannot see paying that much but there it is. Yes the one I have is sporterized just like this one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:
    I hate to say it, but you should not leave ANYTHING of any value with your dad if he has dementia and is in a ALF.

His stuff will be stolen, and the people in charge will simply say "Sorry, we aren't responsible".

We went through this with my uncle. It was terrible.

Merc

Oh I don't.
    RLTW