In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I need a set of screwdrivers

Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2018 in General Discussion
For working on guns.

I have an old set from Sinclair but they are the kind where you put the tip in the driver and I have lost a bunch of the tips(the more common ones)

I am caught up on either the Forester set or the Grace set.

Any recommendations?
RLTW

Comments

• Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam I own two Brownells Master Sets and highly recommend them. They come in a nice case with two drivers and you can take them with you easily. You can purchase a smaller set and add to them if you so choose. I have used these for years and have never had a problem. Not cheap but worth every dime in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes exactly and I have the magnetic ones.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    +1 to what Ricci said
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Say the same also look at Brownells sight and they have a block for holding all the tips.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    I thought you had the giant set of Globemaster tools. [:)][}:)] Remember those from years ago at discount stores where you could buy a hammer for. Like $2.00 and a set of screwdrivers for $2.50 ??
    Get the Super Master Set (fixed blade) and be done with it,,,,,,,I screwed around with the replaceable tip sets and finally, in disgust, upgraded and never looked back,,,,,,,,

Also, you can buy a stone to use in your drill press or mill and shape any tip to your needs (hollow ground) ,,,,,,,,

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/screwdrivers-sets/fixed-blade-sets/fixed-blade-screwdriver-sets-prod41573.aspx
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did you run out of butter knives? Don
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I keep looking at the wooden Handle ones. I have a cheap set not for guns. But when I have a screw that does not want to come out on automotive. I go for one of those cheap ones. The handle fits me just right.

Those at Brownells look just about like them.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Picked up a Wheeler's "big set" that has a cracked case. The price was right and I got other tools where the Wheeler set will not work. When I lose or break tips I can replace them off Ace's peg. They even gave me a master list with item number t replace with.
  • Options
    JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IIRC.. Brownell's will replace damaged tips at no cost....used to be that way 25 yrs. ago...
    JIM....................
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info ya'll

I forgot all about Brownells................senior moment
    RLTW

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually you need both types. The Grace set is comfortable and easy to use but the wood handles are more fragile. The interchangeable tips are handy to have, especially if you work on older guns and are useful for most any other application.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12
    Did you run out of butter knives? Don

No my wife keeps getting on me for using them[;)]
    RLTW

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great set- I never go to the range without it.

https://www.GunBroker.com/item/776132336
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Warbirds

In that container is that a parts holder built in. Is it magnetic cause if it is then it would be perfect.[:D]
  • Options
    wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Grace is a great set. Can't go wrong with them and their service,they will make any style or size screwdriver you need, is second to none.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The brownells gunsmithing screwdriver set is high quality and well built - I have three sets (one for me and one for me and on stashed in a mobile range day possibles back milk crate)

I have probably 200+ screwdrivers in my little shop area including a whole bunch of the craftsman chromium / vanadium models

Most are solid - some cheap crap - a few are very top end nice

Mike
  • Options
    carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Wheeler 77 pcs set am very satisfied with quality and value.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam06,

The Brownells Magna-Tip sets are pretty good for general work but the tips often 'jiggle around' a little at the worst times. Brownells will still replace those tips on request because that's what you pay the high price for, insurance to replace those 2-cent tips.

You can also buy a large, general purpose set of tips and add your handles:

Titan Tools 16148 148-Piece Master Bit Set

As suggested, the more expensive Super Master Set is the better way to go.

I probably have more screwdrivers sets than I need but they are always near and available when I need them. I use the fixed handle/blade hollow ground sets also.

When I did some work on fancy, custom British shotguns, I had gunmaker turn screws made specifically to fit those shotguns. At $50 to $150 each, you had to charge a lot more just to afford the tools! [:I]

Best.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you work on Savage and H&R Harbor Freight has FREE screw driver set, just look for the coupons on their websites.

Their screwdrivers are little bit better than using a butter knife and they won't damage the screw heads or twist off a screw, the HF screwdriver tip will flex and bend when torqued.

Not sure about their warranty though.[;)]

Feel free to add to the list of guns that these screwdrivers fit.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks again for all the info, I need to save up some $$ now[;)]
    RLTW

• Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a set of Forsters I have used for probably 20 years. I do not like the tip change type although I have some Brownell's I don't use much. They always move. Never a problem with Forsters.
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been using Chapman sets at work for 30+ years.
    Tough and made in the USA.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh something I remembered. A machinist dude I know said something about getting "soft" tip (like for magnetic tip drivers) that will bend before breaking screw heads is more desirable for working on guns. His information is about 50/50 correct on a good day [:D].
  • Options
    MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Warbirds

I also have this set and it have been happy with it.
    Regards, MAALOX
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by carbine100
    I have the Wheeler 77 pcs set am very satisfied with quality and value.

If you will subscribe to receive email and paper flyers from Midway they run some real good sales on their Wheeler sets quite often and they are a really good product.
    The 77 pcs set will cover most all and something about the soft grip drivers with the set allows one to really get a good handle grip when applying pressure to the driver when necessary.

What I also like about the wheeler set is I can select a good fitting short insert and on a tight fitting screw use a brass hammer to tap the driver insert to shock the screw loose, especially on some scope bases. You can also tap a torx head driver into a stripped allen screw for a good bite to remove, eliminating drilling out the stripped allen head screw.

I have a small set of Chapman but they are not near the quality of the Wheelers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I went with the Brownells Mana tip. They were on sale.

Thanks for all the help guys!
    RLTW