In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

My Thoughts On The Middle East

dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
edited July 2013 in General Discussion
Bring all our troops out of their. Figure out how not to need oil from the Middle East. Raise all of there food prices so we make a good profit.

The Middle East now has more going out than coming in. Now that we have their attention they just might listen to us. If not we need to raise our prices a little more.

Sooner or later they will listen. They cant eat but so much oil and sand.

Comments

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    ok. i'll indulge you.

can you perhaps explain to me your ideas on ""figure out how to not need oil from the middle east"?

i hear this repeated so often and nobody ever has an answer. our big problem isnt oil, its refineries. the regulations on building one are staggering(i can only imagine) and the over abundance of NIMBY's wont allow them to be built. we can pull all the oil we'll need for generations to come out of our own land, but the environmentalists wont allow it.

if you think for one minute there doesnt exist a line of billionaires who want to be trillionaires who would gladly and readily fund the next american oil boom, you're sorely mistaken.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can only speak for Kuwait, Dubai (UAE), Bahrain and Qatar since those are the only modern Arab countries I have been in, Iraq and Afghan I'm not going to comment on because they are still behind the times compared to the others.

First, gas is cheap over there, they pump it and refine it on the spot in a near unregulated industry, average of $0.85 per gallon is what I paid over there.

Almost all of their economy is import, oil pays for it all. Food, electronics, clothing, basic necessities, I would say 80% of everything they own came in by ship.

We are also not their only customers for oil, other countries buy it too. If we stopped buying from them it's not the end of the world for them.

Popular misconception is they are all still in the dark ages, no they are not. Very modern, very up to date. The only thing with them in the dark ages is their religion. Speaking of that, sure is funny that those American Hating, Christian hating Arab savages over there allow Christian churches in their countries and allow Christians to live in work there. Really, for the most part Arabs are peaceful friendly people, sadly we only hear about the bad ones. I felt safer in those Arab countries than I do in most America cities, aint that something?
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The problem with oil is that it all gets sold on the world market as a commodity, so the sale price has little to do with the cost of production. Additionally, domestic oil is sold the same way, and does not necessarily end up used domesticly. It is disingeneous to suggest 'we would produce our own oil if only the environmentalists would let us.' You don't really believe a few tree huggers and lawyers could stand in the way of billions in profits do you?

I would also suggest we have friends in Israel (where they pay per liter what we pay per gallon). Jordan is a poor country, but they have cell phones, computers, and all the rest, including liquor stores.
  • Options
    lpaalplpaalp Member Posts: 947 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Obviously, everyone is not cut out to be Secretary of State.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The only countries I have 1st hand knowledge of are Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Jordan, Oman, Iraq and Afghanistan. Afghanistan is a uncivilized dump stuck in the 1500's at best so I will not include it and when I was in Iraq it was a dangerous place. I have been in Somalia also, a muslim country but it is an African nation. I was only in Jordan for a few weeks so I did not get a good feel for the place.

I felt as safe or safer in the big cities but I was not comfortable in them. I travel quite a bit all over the world in my work and I will say for the most part Arab cities(the ones I was in) are safe to walk around in, at least for me. I have never felt really unsafe in any big city with the exception of a few in Africa.

If we did not buy their oil they would sell it to China.

Having no experience in UAE, Bahrain or Qatar I cannot comment on their religious freedom, but I can tell you it is not that way in Saudi Arabia. Iraq had/may still have religious freedom. There are numerous Christian and Catholic churches, Yeziti Churches plus a host of other religious faith meeting places. There are christian churches in Jordan but Jews are not allowed there or at least they were not 5 years ago.

There are no churches in Saudi Arabia of any faith except on embassy grounds or inside the gated compound of Aramco.

The percentage of Saudi Arabian citizens who are Christians is officially zero, as Saudi Arabia forbids religious conversion from Islam (Apostasy) and punishes it by death.

All that said I am not a fan of Arabs or muslims. They are a very deceitful people who lie even though the truth would have been just as easy.

I have found that Arab muslims hate everyone not of their family, tribe or religion in that order.

Although the oil producing country's are very modern and fairly civilized you can tell they are new to modern civilization. Its hard to describe what that means but there is a raw/barbaric under-tone in them........I guess you have to be there to feel it.
    RLTW

• Options
    calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KEVD18
    ok. i'll indulge you.

can you perhaps explain to me your ideas on ""figure out how to not need oil from the middle east"?

i hear this repeated so often and nobody ever has an answer. our big problem isnt oil, its refineries. the regulations on building one are staggering(i can only imagine) and the over abundance of NIMBY's wont allow them to be built. we can pull all the oil we'll need for generations to come out of our own land, but the environmentalists wont allow it.

if you think for one minute there doesnt exist a line of billionaires who want to be trillionaires who would gladly and readily fund the next american oil boom, you're sorely mistaken.

Sounds like you answered your own question.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,139 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just jack up the cost of eats we export. Use a secondary country to buy oil from. Like England as a middle man.

Sam06 - You kind a missed the mark on the ground zero or didn't use enough "bang". Should include Egypt, Libia, Sudan and Turkey. Why Turkey? Just doing the EU a soild [:D].
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06
    The only countries I have 1st hand knowledge of are Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Jordan, Oman, Iraq and Afghanistan. Afghanistan is a uncivilized dump stuck in the 1500's at best so I will not include it and when I was in Iraq it was a dangerous place. I have been in Somalia also, a muslim country but it is an African nation. I was only in Jordan for a few weeks so I did not get a good feel for the place.

I felt as safe or safer in the big cities but I was not comfortable in them. I travel quite a bit all over the world in my work and I will say for the most part Arab cities(the ones I was in) are safe to walk around in, at least for me. I have never felt really unsafe in any big city with the exception of a few in Africa.

If we did not buy their oil they would sell it to China.

Having no experience in UAE, Bahrain or Qatar I cannot comment on their religious freedom, but I can tell you it is not that way in Saudi Arabia. Iraq had/may still have religious freedom. There are numerous Christian and Catholic churches, Yeziti Churches plus a host of other religious faith meeting places. There are christian churches in Jordan but Jews are not allowed there or at least they were not 5 years ago.

There are no churches in Saudi Arabia of any faith except on embassy grounds or inside the gated compound of Aramco.

The percentage of Saudi Arabian citizens who are Christians is officially zero, as Saudi Arabia forbids religious conversion from Islam (Apostasy) and punishes it by death.

All that said I am not a fan of Arabs or muslims. They are a very deceitful people who lie even though the truth would have been just as easy.

I have found that Arab muslims hate everyone not of their family, tribe or religion in that order.

Although the oil producing country's are very modern and fairly civilized you can tell they are new to modern civilization. Its hard to describe what that means but there is a raw/barbaric under-tone in them........I guess you have to be there to feel it.

Saudi is just about the last of the Die Hard muslim countries and I doubt it will ever change. I've been to the Saudi border crossing but never crossed in, could not take Bry'ann with me and I needed a visa before entering.

I have different opinions on the muslims we never hear about, done business with several buying cars or renting apartments and to be honest once you get away from the Saudi style hardcore muslims they are a decent people. Too bad most will never meet them, thanks to the media focusing on the radicals 99% of Americans are bigots that would never give an Arab the time of day let alone get to know one. Maybe I'm the exception but my experiences with Arabs from the countries I've visited with the exception of Iraq and Afghan for the most part has been pleasant.

I lived in Kuwait for 4 years and visited other countries while living there and I found that once a person learns to show them respect they in turn will respect you. Problem a lot of American have over there when visiting in the American arrogance, a lot of Americans walk around over there with a chip on their shoulder thinking that because they are American they are better. Treat them with respect which I learned to do and they are very nice people. I have no problems with them and can get along fine with most muslims. I feel safer in downtown Salmiya at 3:00AM than I do in most American cities. Given the chance to go back to Kuwait or any of the other countries I visited with the exception like I said of Iraq and Afghan I would go in a heartbeat.

Your mileage may vary. Like I said, it's all on how you interact with them and your attitude as to how well your visit will go.

Like I also said, never been to Saudi and I know they are different, the modern Arab countries however I think are great places with great people.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if they make some money maybe they won't get more welfare from wshington
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    middle-east-problem-solved.jpg
    I'm sure folks in eastern Israel would love to have ocean front property.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The oil companies serve the shareholders not the consumers. Why would they do anything that would allow the price of their product to drop. As in drill more wells or build more refineries. To defend this tactic, they only need to blame environmental regulations. They're sitting in control of their market and they have been for decades.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    middle-east-problem-solved.jpg

If they put another boob to the left of the first one then the problem would be solved.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I'm glad that the voided areas did not include Turkey and the southern caucasus; I am going there on vacation at the start of September!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mark,

I enjoy going to Turkey also.

I see on your profile you are in Panama City. Is that a joke or do you go there? I was stationed in Panama from 1993-1998 on both sides of the canal and me and the wife really miss it. I would like to go back for a vacation. I lived on Espinar and Clayton. I was there in 89 under different circumstances.

Best Italian Food in panama city was place called Tre Scalini, you been there?
    RLTW