In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Auto to replace pump?

DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
edited February 2016 in General Discussion
For 35 years my defensive shotgun of choice has been the Mossberg 500 with a 20" barrel and rifle sights. Simple, inexpensive and effective. But now I have developed arthritis in both shoulders and working a pump gun is a real problem.

Is there a good, basic semi-auto defensive shotgun offered by any of the manufacturers? I don't want a super fancy competition gun.
....................................................................................................
Too old to live...too young to die...

Comments

• Options
    carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Put this in your search engine: PSA Mossberg Shotgun 930XS 12ga 18.5" 8 shot XS Ghost Ring Sights *Closeout* 85374
  • Options
    KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it comes down to a situation of you needing to fire the pump for protection, I think the adrenaline will override the arthritis . I would keep the 500.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Knifecollector
    If it comes down to a situation of you needing to fire the pump for protection, I think the adrenaline will override the arthritis . I would keep the 500.

You would be amazed how the body reacts with the adrenaline pumping through your body. super human strength comes on. I concur, keep the pump Doc.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just something dependable. Had, repeat had a 930 Mossberg spx tactical. Would not run 3" buckshot consistent. Jam a matic. It has a new home.Do a search on the problems. I wish I had.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,470 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My brother has the weatherby SA that I've shot a few times seems to be a good gun at a reasonable price
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oakie and the collector have an excellent point. I would add that any change would require lots of training to remember NOT to pump in an emergency.

I would stick with what is simple and works.

Good luck with your search if you do decide to change.
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,421 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if your situation is dire enough to make you think you require 8 rounds, iron sights, and other goodies, you might as well just have a double barrel like Crazy Uncle Joe says. cause you won't get a chance to use more than 2. don't fall victim to the "tacticool" mindset
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,722 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If this is going to be a gun used for home defense then spend the money to get a good one. I saved and saved and popped for the Benelli M2 with a 21" barrel and an 8 shot aftermarket mag tube. This thing runs flawlessly with anything I feed it, from light target loads up to 3" mag slugs.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    If this is going to be a gun used for home defense then spend the money to get a good one. I saved and saved and popped for the Benelli M2 with a 21" barrel and an 8 shot aftermarket mag tube. This thing runs flawlessly with anything I feed it, from light target loads up to 3" mag slugs.

I'd keep the mossy but if I was to go Semi this would be my choice.
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This thing is pretty wild looking. Great price. No idea about quality. Would prefer 8 round capacity.

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=543734183
    ....................................................................................................
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not sure if I like the pistol grip and only holds 6 rounds but gee, $300?

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=544205634
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nothing wrong with a Remington 1100 or 1187.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,470 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I could pick this up in person and save the shipping cost.

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=544801654
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Barzillia
    Browning A-5

Plenty of shooters out there, easily interchangeable barrels to boot

Still too expensive ?

Remington clones.
    The A5 is the only auto shotgun I would consider...
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Remington Nitro 887, in 18". Works great, not heavy, and still lets me put accessories on it--I have a Crimson Trace Rail Master LED light on one of the rails (about $125.00). Capacity is 6+1 I believe. Totally "armored" as far as corrosion. Cost is about $400.00. Maybe this is not as "basic" as you were thinking?

However, the 11-87 is still the standard I think.

What about an 18" double barrel?
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,421 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a lot of duck hunting buddies bought the 11-87 when they came out for the 3-1/2 inch capability and price. i don't know of any still owning them.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A 18" barrel and mag extension will convert one.
  • Options
    redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by discusdad
    a lot of duck hunting buddies bought the 11-87 when they came out for the 3-1/2 inch capability and price. i don't know of any still owning them.

just get the 1187 in the 2 3/4 or 3 " version, leave the 3 1/2" Super mag alone

or a older 1100 2 3/4" and just cut the barrel down
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Benelli is the gold standard. I believe the M3 has both semi and pump capability.

Years ago I looked at a Beretta 1200FP--or maybe 1201FP--and was very impressed by it. It essentially is a Benelli while still being a Beretta, and the Beretta folks know a thing or two about shotguns.

I think a stronger argument for the semi is a potential loss of use of one arm or the other. The semi gets you around what could be a catastrophic problem for the use of a pump shotgun.

I do wonder, though, Doc, exactly how many guns you need to protect yourself. I am reminded of this scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhe58xORWG0
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Benellis are really cool but they cost more than I can afford right now.

Still not sure about a pistol grip.

Everyone saying keep the pump don't get it. I can't work it without lowering from shoulder and even at that it involves screaming pain. I need to be able to use the gun properly without relying on adrenaline to push through the considerable pain. What about practice sessions at the range? No adrenaline...just plenty of pain and clumsy gun handling as a result.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,722 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doc

Everyone saying keep the pump don't get it. I can't work it without lowering from shoulder and even at that it involves screaming pain. I need to be able to use the gun properly without relying on adrenaline to push through the considerable pain. What about practice sessions at the range? No adrenaline...just plenty of pain and clumsy gun handling as a result.

Pick the two least used but nice firearms out of your collection, sell 'em, and you've got your Benelli.
    Mine has a standard grip and the Comfortech stock that really helps suck up some recoil. With the 21" barrel and the mag extension I have 8+1 rounds. I added a nice sling and an oversized bolt handle just to make it al bit easier to cycle the bolt. It was kinda spendy, but I look at it as an investment in my, and more importantly, my wife's safety.
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doc

If you're going to be using it at hip level I imagine the pistol grip would be quite a help.

Check out the Beretta. It's a heck of a lot of shotgun and GB has them

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=544090373

That's a whole lot of shotgun for $590. I'm sure the burglar won't mind the scratches on the stock.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can get a nice A5 with a Poly choke reasonable. Cut it back to 18" and you are good to go.
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    Check out the Tristar Raptor A-TAC, if its as good as our Tristar Viper 20ga, you'll he happy.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you just want a dependable shotgun for dispatching intruders without panache or flamboyance I would recommend a used Remington 1100. I wouldn't want a Remington that was made after Remington lost interest in the gun business.

The one I keep in the bedroom is a 12 gage 2_" with 22" smooth bore barrel with rifle sights and Choate magazine extension to make it an eight shooter (7 in magazine + 1 in chamber). A barrel less than 22" makes the magazine tube longer than the barrel. I keep it loaded with whatever I have the most of.

Remington_zpsu6qfojzh.png
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    Just something dependable. Had, repeat had a 930 Mossberg spx tactical. Would not run 3" buckshot consistent. Jam a matic. It has a new home.Do a search on the problems. I wish I had.

I also had a 930 SPX that was also a jam a matic. Sold it quickly...
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,179 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    20" barrel? Unless the thing is in a Bullpup shell that's too long.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Navybat

However, the 11-87 is still the standard I think.

This.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    If you just want a dependable shotgun for dispatching intruders without panache or flamboyance I would recommend a used Remington 1100. I wouldn't want a Remington that was made after Remington lost interest in the gun business.

The one I keep in the bedroom is a 12 gage 2_" with 22" smooth bore barrel with rifle sights and Choate magazine extension to make it an eight shooter (7 in magazine + 1 in chamber). A barrel less than 22" makes the magazine tube longer than the barrel. I keep it loaded with whatever I have the most of.

Remington_zpsu6qfojzh.png

+1

This is what I did too when I went from a pump to an auto for 3 gun competition.

I didn't want to dump big bucks into a shotgun but I wanted one that would be reliable.

I got a used 1100 on the auction side cheap. I took it totally apart, cleaned the filth out of it, replaced all the springs and gas rings. I took it out and it fed 100% and shot fine with all 2 3/4" shells I put through it. I put plastic furniture on it(sold the wood for $75) a mag extension to hold 8, cut the barrel down to 21" and put a fiber optic bead on it. I put the shell lifter from the tactical model on it and a side saddle.

The thing shoot like a champ and has never had a hiccup.

I agree with James to get an older one. Find one with a metal trigger group and you know its an older one.

I would not trust one of these Turkish/Chinese shotguns. The Benelli are great guns but they are a little more expensive and they are kind of light. My hunting shotgun is a SBE II so I am not a Benelli hater.

I would say the only down side to the 1100 is they get warm during long shot strings.
    RLTW