In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S. American countries are in shambles

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2018 in General Discussion
We all know Mexico is a cesspool of corruption, violence and is a mess. Other south of the border countries are also a disaster. Venezuela, a super power of oil wealth potential, has its citizens eating their dogs for food, inflation was 82,667 percent in July 2018. Brazil has a Presidential hopeful saying Cops should kill criminals DRT in the streets. Argentina money has crashed into less than toilet paper value. There are hundreds of millions of people there living in bad times with repressive Governments and corruption. The invasion we see from Guatemala, Mexico and Honduras is bad now. Wait until the flood starts to roll in from these other countries.

We better build that wall twice as high and two layers deep.....

Comments

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,389 ******
    edited November -1
    I have been contemplating a move to Bolivia, where nobody knows my name.

Signed.....Butch Cassidy.

P.S. My friend Sundance will be right behind me[:)]
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You know I was thinking the same thing. Central and South America are really having a hard time right now.

Drugs, Gangs Corruption and over spending has really put their economy in the tank.
    RLTW

• Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're referring to Bolivia, N.C. it's not so bad.There are a lot of yankees living there now but that's cause it a secret reservation so's we can keep track of their movements. We have spies among them that listen for certain key phrases such as " Well the way we did it back in Cleveland", or "{I'm think of running for city council".
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    and the liberals, democraps , and countless bleeding hearts think the shrinking middle class taxpayers should pay for ALL these to come here and wallow in FREEBIES....look around as the majority of these create the conditions they ran away from DESPITE all the bennies showered on them by a self destructive AMERICA...it's gotta stop
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Uraguay would be my destination or Panama.

I lived in Panama for 5 years and really enjoyed it. Costa Rica is nice but there are too many illegals there too, last time I was there(10 years).
    RLTW

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06
    Uraguay would be my destination or Panama.

I lived in Panama for 5 years and really enjoyed it. Costa Rica is nice but there are too many illegals there too, last time I was there(10 years).

When I was in CR in June there were many thousands of Nicaraguans who had fled that country and taken up residence in San Jose. Apparently the problem has gotten even worse:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/01/americas/costa-rica-overwhelmed-nicaraguan-asylum-seekers-unhcr/index.html
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where is Droptop he seems to like it where he is?
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    We all know Mexico is a cesspool of corruption, violence and is a mess. Other south of the border countries are also a disaster. Venezuela, a super power of oil wealth potential, has its citizens eating their dogs for food, inflation was 82,667 percent in July 2018. Brazil has a Presidential hopeful saying Cops should kill criminals DRT in the streets. Argentina money has crashed into less than toilet paper value. There are hundreds of millions of people there living in bad times with repressive Governments and corruption. The invasion we see from Guatemala, Mexico and Honduras is bad now. Wait until the flood starts to roll in from these other countries.

We better build that wall twice as high and two layers deep.....

If these people really gave a crap, they would do something about it and fix what was broke in their own country. Seems we did the same thing 240 years ago.

Part of the problem is the DEMOCRATs party wanting to open the floodgates and bring them over here.
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    BELIEVE IT OR NOT !!!

There is NOT a land route from South America into Panama. ie: NO ROADS. ie: The Pan American Highway QUITS for a distance of 70 miles from the Colombian Border.

Interesting read about the Darwin gap but it would be extremely dangerous to travel through and it would be on foot or a special purpose dirt bike. Just how bad is it,, Read:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darién_Gap

The main route from South America into the U.S. is by air but you need a passport. After that it's a boat to Panama, through the latin america countries and THEN through Mexico and an illegal crossing. into the U.S.

Believe Mexico will have a renewed interest in Securing their Southern Border.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    South America is a basket case and has been for years.

We all know what a disaster Mexico is, utterly corrupt government and the country taken over by dope cartels.
    The Argies had home field advantage over the Brits but could not win the Falklands War.

As you stated, Venezuela has massive oil reserves, yet is an economic basket case.

Brazil held the Summer Olympics last time. Brazil is held out as a wealthy land, car manufacturing, lots of sugar cane and ethanol production, great soccer teams year after year etc.
    Yet, when they just held the Summer Olympics, the swimming pools were filthy. The water was green and athletes were getting sick.

This is the greatest venue for swimming sports, held only every 4 years, yet the Latinos couldn't even put clean water in the pool.
    I remember the Old Neighborhood Pool in Atlanta in 1965, nice clear sparkling water I went swimming there a hundred times and it was clean healthy water.
    Here these Latinos can't even put clean water in a swimming pool for the Summer Olympics!

I have travelled all over Mexico, and Guatemala and El Salvador. When know what a dump Mexico is, but El Salvador is even worse.
    My buddy and I were eating lunch at a restaurant in El Salvador, and I had to change the oil in my van. When finished I had 4 quarts of Quaker State filled with dirty oil and a bunch of dirty kitchen towels. I said to the restaurant manager, "Donde esta la Basura?"

"Where is the garbage?" He shrugged his shoulders, and told me to leave the stuff right there on the sidewalk right in front of the restaurant, someone would come by to pick it up sooner or later.

Right there in La Libertad, El Salvador, at the corner of every city block, the people just threw the garbage onto one corner. At night, they let the hogs loose, and they would come out and root around the garbage, and people would get what was left.
    In the Latino wonderland of El Salvador they do not even have the concept of "garbage."

While I was in El Salvador, I ran into an American engineer who had been down there for a year, building a bridge. I asked him about life and times there in El Salvador, and he said "It didn't work."

I said "What didn't work?"

He said, "The cross breed between the Spanish and the Indians."
  • Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by droptop
    BELIEVE IT OR NOT !!!

There is NOT a land route from South America into Panama. ie: NO ROADS. ie: The Pan American Highway QUITS for a distance of 70 miles from the Colombian Border.

Interesting read about the Darwin gap but it would be extremely dangerous to travel through and it would be on foot or a special purpose dirt bike. Just how bad is it,, Read:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darién_Gap

The main route from South America into the U.S. is by air but you need a passport. After that it's a boat to Panama, through the latin america countries and THEN through Mexico and an illegal crossing. into the U.S.

Believe Mexico will have a renewed interest in Securing their Southern Border.

Thanks for link. Very interesting read. Learned something new today, The Darien Gap.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep. I had the same thoughts about Mexico about thirty years back.
    What's next?
  • Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It might prove beneficial if the United States had a few 'Darien Gaps' within its borders.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So plans for moving south of the border for retirement may be a bad plan.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpage

If you want to live somewhere that you have God given individual rights, and are secure in ownership of private property. Then no, it's not a good idea.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    but our taxpayers OWE these primitive every benefit so they can move here and establish the same lifestyle????????? well...we keep electing thewe beliefs to congress and state legislatures
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know several people around here who go to Belize often and may move there.
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpage

Generally it's a bad plan to retire "south of the border" that includes Mexico to the Southern most tip of South America.

Reason No. 1 The economies can be unstable and it will be impossible to get your money out of the country.

Reason No. 2 If retiring outside the U.S. you must HAVE somewhere in the U.S. to return if the SHTF. Don't worry, you'll see it coming.[:D]

Reason No. 3 If you enjoy guns and outdoor sport, the it's impossible to enjoy those things outside the U.S. REALLY RICH? anything's possible.

The best place to retire is New Zealand. The gun laws aren't compatible with many peoples ideas and might be a liberal paradise?
    http://www.seattleglobalist.com/2012/08/06/getting-strapped-in-new-zealand-shooting/5740
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fideau

I don't know about the rest of the country but I was surprised about Belize City. I went on a cruise that stopped there & walked downtown. You would have thought you were in Africa.
    On another cruise I spent one day in Costa Rica & from that BRIEF visit I got the impression it is probably the best country in Central America.
    I also spent a couple of weeks in Honduras & greatly enjoyed it but that was about thirty years ago. I got to feeling like a piece of candy in a candy store the way all the women would open their eyes wide & smile. If you're used to that you might not notice but it was a novelty to me. It wasn't just my imagination as my wife noticed too & it was making her angry at me. That of course was just icing on the cake.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fideau
    Tell them Gomer said "Adios Amigos" [;)]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee