In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

anyone live in missouri?

TheFonzTheFonz Member Posts: 125 ✭✭✭
edited February 2011 in General Discussion
me and my sister have been discussing moving to Springfield, Missouri. we were taking care of our parents (both died recently of rare forms of cancer), and we have some family that live there.

we are in CA now, and the cost of living and crime is just getting to be BS. ive had a gun pulled on me twice and a guy was shot to death infront of where we live. meth is getting to be a problem in our area now too.

my question is, anyone around this area have anything to good/bad to say about it? the family we have live about 10miles south of springfield and say its pretty calm. only thing i think would be bad is the humidity. are there any high crime areas around there we should avoid?

Comments

• Options
    matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    I'm about an hour and a half away from where you're talking about. Yes the humidity is a killer. BUT, its nothing compared to the lib bullcrap of living in Kalifornia, from what I hear. Meth is bad here in the Ozarks, violent crime not-so-much. Very pretty country, deer and turkey hunting is great. Not to mention small game. The lakes are only 20-30 mins south of ya for fishing. Great bass, panfish, even trout in some areas down there.

When ya coming?
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd rather hit my balls with a hammer than live in Missouri again. I lived there for 18 years.......enough was enough. Never again.

Hicks, dumb rednecks, zero decent jobs, crappy weather......gah. Never again.

At least they changed the law now though, so you don't have to get permission from the local sheriff to buy a pistol.

Merc
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Spent my youth raised in Missery, Left at 18 and never looked back. [8)]
  • Options
    tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    Ain't nothin here but us * hillbilly's who tend to work union jobs...dont come here or we'll hit yer nuts with a hammer[;)][8D]
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    [:o)][:o)][:o)][:D][:0]quote:Originally posted by tomahawk
    Ain't nothin here but us * hillbilly's who tend to work union jobs...dont come here or we'll hit yer nuts with a hammer[;)][8D]
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Come to Wyoming, lots of open space, no crime, no state tax...but its going down to minus 25 tonight. [:0]
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mercury
    I'd rather hit my balls with a hammer than live in Missouri again. I lived there for 18 years.......enough was enough. Never again.

Hicks, dumb rednecks, zero decent jobs, crappy weather......gah. Never again.

At least they changed the law now though, so you don't have to get permission from the local sheriff to buy a pistol.

Merc

That'll probably be fine with most Missouri folk.
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    weeeeell now..depends on your age & what you want to do ...but there all sorts of things around sw missouri with table rock lake and west central with lake of the ozarks if you like that stuff... we got a place on a lake in eastern kansas which is totally different than where we live so it's a fun deal...area really changed around springfied than when i went to dury college many year ago...branson & all...
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CS8161
    Come to Wyoming, lots of open space, no crime, no state tax...but its going down to minus 25 tonight. [:0]

If I only could.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tomahawk

haha, well here i might get shot in the nuts and get my wallet taken here, so i might just take my chances.

the happiest ive ever been, location wise, was a small town in south dakota, about 400 people. we would go there, but we want to be around family.
  • Options
    SXSMANSXSMAN Member Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember a little Gunbroker get-together in Missouri .

Shooter22 (shootinfool) put it on.

Highball was there also.

Good time but remember it being hotter than blazes.

Shoot told me that it was the meth capitol of the world.

Good hunting and fishing.

Friendly folk though.

Don't come any nicer.

I need to pay a visit [^]
  • Options
    trader1000trader1000 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    sprinfield is 80 miles away. Go to alot of Gun Shows there.

I live on a farm. I have horses, cows, chickens, Guineas. I can shoot my dog if i want to and nobody is going to complain.

It takes a bit of getting used to, trust me. However, taxes are cheap, the police all know you and ignore you.

Some of the rednecks are dumb, some not so dumb.

I have nothing against CA, I just will not ship a gun there.

The gun laws in MO are some of the best in the country.
  • Options
    leadlead Member Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm living right outside of Springfield now, I work in the city. Of all the places I've been, Missouri is a fine place to live. Lots of lakes, streams, woods, and hillbillies with hammers. Traffic jams around here are gonna be like weekend drives in Ca. The cost of living is lower, as are wages. The economy is hitting this area like everywhere else, and we don't have as much industry to fall back on, but jobs are out there. There's crime, but not the gang activity in other places.
    I like it here. There are alot worse places to be.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Watching the traffice report for Springfield is hilarious - "as usual nothing to report."
  • Options
    matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1

I've worked out there 3 different times. Other than the wind and the cold and the wind, it would probably be second on my list. Oh yeah and the wind blows there, ALOT. Did I mention the wind blows alot?[xx(]
  • Options
    375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Green acres is the place to be
    Farm living is the life for me
    Land spreading out,
    so far and wide
    Keep Kalifornia,
    just give me that countryside.
  • Options
    m88.358winm88.358win Member Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by matwor

I've worked out there 3 different times. Other than the wind and the cold and the wind, it would probably be second on my list. Oh yeah and the wind blows there, ALOT. Did I mention the wind blows alot?[xx(]

Yep. Worked in Rocksprings once. Found out trees CAN grow sideways.

• Options
    edited November -1
    we drove through wyoming on the way to south dakota.. remember stopping to get gas and let the dog make the rounds. hes just a little guy, hard to get a bigger dog here in our city when you rent.

he walked to the top of a hill by the rest stop, hiked his leg, then the wind gusted and WOOSH! blew his little self down the hill.