In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

More Sears stores closing.

EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
edited June 2018 in General Discussion
Just read this morning that 72 more Sears stores are closing. It does not surprise me. Online sales like Amazon along with no more catalogs drove more nails in the coffin. Switching to China to make their tools drove in a lot more. Our local store a few years ago started asking for a sales slips when returning damaged tools. I have Craftsman tools I bought over 40 years ago and tossed the sales slips because they were not needed to replace a tool. Their own website is a joke. The last time I went in our local store I had to walk around half the store to find a salesperson and the store was dirty. There was two racks of men's coats turned over and laying on the floor. Adios Sears.

Jose.

Comments

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now that craftsman tools are popping up in Lowe?s, and ace hardware there is zero reason for me to drive to a Sears.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While Amazon is certainly a factor Sears could have moved the same direction. I think Eddie Lampert is an idiot although he obviously made more money then I ever will.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mogley98
    While Amazon is certainly a factor Sears could have moved the same direction. I think Eddie Lampert is an idiot although he obviously made more money then I ever will.

Lampert became rich before to took over management of Sears. Not sure now but he had over 500 million of his own money invested in sears.

He may not be as rich as he was.

He was an idiot when it came to operating Sears, not sure if he had any retail experience prior to being CEO of Sears Holdings.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,083 ******
    edited November -1
    Hate to see it,but not surprised,,
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another dinosaur retailer going down...
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    cavman 69cavman 69 Member Posts: 654 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my local Sears is on the list. I hate to see it go, but the writing was on the wall. the lat time I went there the manager called me an a** hole because I asked why no one was working on the upper floor. not exactly incentive to shop there again.
  • Options
    Bottom GunBottom Gun Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our local Sears has already closed the optical department and the rest of the store is depressing because the shelves are only partially stocked with a very limited selection. I would estimate the shelves and racks in the hardware department are only 25-30% full of items. They aren?t replacing any of the display items they sell. It sure looks like they plan to close the doors soon.
    Mechanical engineers have their moments.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Warbirds
    Now that craftsman tools are popping up in Lowe?s, and ace hardware there is zero reason for me to drive to a Sears.

Local place I like to shop at Jerry's Home Improvement has started carrying craftsman. Have not been into a sears in years and mine was already closed.
  • Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have a Local Sears Hometown store, it's been here for over 20 years. They are an independent owned operator that owns the Business, just using Sears as a Supplier.

They carry Craftsman hardware good, home appliances, mowers and some more.

They are doing well, by getting the business since the big box Sear store closed 20 miles away.

Kmart in town closed in town this year too.
    Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sears was set to be better than Amazon but they were either lazy or stupid.

This is a clear instance of evolve or die.
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1
    I first shopped at Sears in the early 1960's. It was a catalog store only at that time. You would go in and find what you needed in the catalog and someone there would order the item you wanted and take your money. A couple of weeks later you got you item in the mail. I ordered a cylinder, piston, rings and a head gasket for my Sears Allstate moped. It was less than $8.00 plus tax. You could also order items on microfilm if the item was not in the regular catalog like my moped parts. I still have a hole in the calf of my left leg from the flywheel chewed a hole in it when I dumped the moped on it's side. There is a reason the flywheel should have a cover on it my friend Okie Custer told me. In the future whenever I look at my leg, I will remember Sears.

Jose.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,627 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    as a kid there was not a sears close and even if there were I doubt my parents would go very little money and discount and 2nd time around were more the places of most shopping .
    I started buying tools at one when I was 18 and a shopping mall had opened up about 15 miles from us .

also as a kid on the rare occasion we managed to get a sears Christmas catalog .. OMG it was just a kids dream book just to know so many toys existed was ow inspiring and of course by Christmas wearing the book out just dreaming ..
    my cousins in Tennessee liked them too but but different reasons ( as in out house and TP )
    think of all the things some one could buy from sears when they were king of the mail order even a house at one time delivered in kit form to you
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sears also sold a car called the Allstate. The Allstate was just a re-badged Henry J. kaiser. It's a sad day in Mudville, the mighty Sears has struck out.

Jose.
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hoosier
    We have a Local Sears Hometown store, it's been here for over 20 years. They are an independent owned operator that owns the Business, just using Sears as a Supplier.

They carry Craftsman hardware good, home appliances, mowers and some more.

They are doing well, by getting the business since the big box Sear store closed 20 miles away.

Kmart in town closed in town this year too.

We just had a Sears Hometown open here. I haven't been there yet, but have heard good things.

The closest Sears store is about 15-20 miles from us and last I heard it isn't doing very well.

Jon
  • Options
    jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sold tools at the local sears here. Did pretty well back when it was a good company to work for. But along the way someone decided to listen to the penny pinching accountants who decided that the help was making too much money selling on commission. And they started pushing us to sell a $49 protection plan when the tool cost $39 on sale.......seems someone in charge was using that "new" math everyone is confused by. I'm sure someone is making a ton of money by running the company out of business. Probably just those at the top.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,426 ******
    edited November -1
    The store in my hometown is on the list. We have had a Sears store for well over 100 years here. Just plain SAD.[V]

I said the same thing when Woolworths shut down and took away the last soda fountain here. I have a lot of good memories of old loves at that place!

I may be kind of a dinosaur but I DO like to shop at brick and mortar places, putting my hands on the stuff I take home.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,267 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That makes me sad. I remember being a high school kid in the sixties, my Mom would take me to Sears shopping for clothes.
    In the seventies I became a carpenter, and Sears made the best tools!
    Imagine that, made in America. The Skilsaw from Sears was the first and the last word in a high quality circular saw.

I got in to working on cars and of course bought Craftsman tools, top quality and a lifetime warranty.

Sears was an American institution. Sad to see 'em go.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Warbirds

Provided you like the Chinese craftsmen that now make Craftsman.[xx(]
  • Options
    Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They started the closing sale last week while I was out of town.

Out of curiosity I checked their web site and they said they had some leather gloves in XXL (and not much else) so I went in and looked for them.

No gloves but some odds and ends left over.

They did have some tool sets that were marked down 20%. Too a look -- 320 piece tool set had 8 wrenches and over 100 screwdriver bits.

Nothing I could use[xx(]

I started using a Craftsman tool set in the early '60's but looks like it's the end of the line for them.
  • Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Walmart is The New Icon of an international corporation store. Sears, Montgomery Wards, K-mart and J.C.Penny's all have or soon will disappear.

Wait until The Red Chinese Auto's get here! You have not seen anything yet! The International Oligarchical Business will run the world soon enough.
    serf

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/01/15/gac-motor-detroit-auto-show/1034111001/

GAC Motor President Yu Jun said the company would establish a North American sales division to serve as the legal division through which it will enter the U.S. market. And the company is opening R&D centers in Detroit and Los Angeles after already establishing one in Silicon Valley.

https://chinaeconomicreview.com/china-latin-america-trade-more-than-meets-the-eye/

While it is true that some Latin American countries do export raw materials to China, generalizing this to the whole of Latin America is an oversimplification. Latin America is a vast region whose diversity is reflected in each country?s individual export and import markets. Particularly in the northern states, there is a trend toward the export of manufactured high value-added goods related to technology industries. The development of these markets is an important source of economic growth in the exporting countries, creating higher-quality jobs and more sophisticated production chains.

Take the examples of Mexico, Costa Rica and El Salvador. Mexico was China?s second-largest trading partner in Latin America in 2016, with a current account balance sheet of around $43 billion. Its top five exports to China are integrated circuits, copper ore, vehicle parts, medical instruments and cars. Key Costa Rican exports to China are semiconductor devices, electrical parts, medical instruments, integrated circuits and low-voltage protection equipment.

And for El Salvador the most important products are electrical capacitors, recovered paper, knit men?s suits and knit shirts. There are other countries following this trend, though to a lesser extent, such as Honduras and Dominican Republic, where high value-added goods such as pharmaceuticals and electrical accessories complement the countries? natural resources market.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wards here closed 10 years ago, I did not know there were any left.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And then K-Mart thought it would be a good idea to spend eleven billion dollars to purchase Sears, a company that was on the brink of bankruptcy. But, what else would you expect from a company that hired Rosie O'donut as their spokes person.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,426 ******
    edited November -1
    If you truly believe in "evolution" (which I don't)

Monkey Wards evolved into Wally World![:0][:)]
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't remember the last time I went into a Sears. Even Diehard batteries you can get elsewhere now.