In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

WTH are they storing?

mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2018 in General Discussion
I read that their is 7 sq.ft. of storage space for every American, but only 10% of Americans are using storage.

These things are popping up like mushrooms after a rain, I can't imagine first how they won't over supply and kill themselves price wise and also what the hell are people so all fired up about storing?

At 100 bucks a month, 1200 a year what is the value of the stuff they are storing?
Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!

Comments

• Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep here too. If you gotta rent a storage unit for any length of time you probably need to have a sale.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I need a storage unit so I clean out my garage, so i can fill my garage up with more stuff I just have to have. DUH!
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a friend had a storage unit rental business . the ones who would stop paying after a month or two really used them to get rid of there junk it was cheaper then having it hauled off [:0] pack it full they walk away . he told me he never found anything of value ( like the TV staged shows ) just junk . but he did have them rented all the time people had stuff they just did not want to part with for what ever reason
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had to rent storage units in the past when I was selling a house in one state and moving to a new one in another state that I bought that wasn't ready to move into yet. Had to have some where to put my stuff temporary.

Then there were other times I needed to have a storage unit when I was out of town on my job working while renting an apartment or a house. When the job was finished I had to have some where to put my stuff until I was relocated on my next project where I would need to rent another apartment or house or stay in a motel.

The last 5 years before I retired I worked out a deal with my company to give me the relocation and expense money to buy a travel trailer with instead of moving me or paying my motel or apartment expenses. It worked out to both our favor. They saved money plus I got a free travel trailer out of the deal.

That was so much better than staying in a motel or apartment. The 35 ft. trailer with 2 large slide-outs was bigger than a motel room and a lot more comfortable and private. When it was time to move on I didn't need any storage I just hooked the trailer up to my Truck and headed out and if my next project was a few weeks out I just parked my trailer in my back yard in Georgia until it was time to go.
  • Options
    riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The wealthiest man I know told me he made more money off of storage units than anything else.
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by redneckandy
    The wealthiest man I know told me he made more money off of storage units than anything else.

The jokes just write themselves.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "WTH are they storing?" If they are smart.... freeze dried food and ammo.[:D]
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Average apartments have very very little storage space . Many of the efficiency apparent s the kitchens are so small there are two disshwashers instead of full cabinets store clean dishes in one and dirty stuff in other and wash as needed. Man has to have a place to put his stuff
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Money would be better spent on shipping containers on your property.

I suppose the renters need the space for the 4 kids in the 2 bedroom situation.
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nemesisenforcer
    quote:Originally posted by redneckandy

The jokes just write themselves.

I'm not joking. He is in his eighties and has started downsizing. A couple of years back he sold all of his storage units to the tune of $87 MILLION![:0]
    I should clarify he owned the storage unit facilities, not just renting some units.

I have a lot of respect for the man. I bought an old excavator from one of his companies a while back and he personally showed me the machine. If you ever met him you would never guess that he has the wealth that he does. Just truly a good guy.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    The world is full of hoarders. Hoarding really developed from people that survived the depression and the behaviour was passed on to their children and their children. Sadly much of the stuff stored is done so in a manner in which it just continued to deteriorate and depreciate. A horder would rather let that happen than sell it to someone who would use, display or restore it.
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For whatever reason people seem to keep paying for them, I don't suppose I can blame the owners if they are making money. Kind of like being a landlord...but your tenants don't usually cause you problems.[:D]
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:what the hell are people so all fired up about storing?Apparently it isn't the $100 worth of junk littering the inside of their garages while they have to park $75,000 worth of vehicles outside on their driveways! [:0][:D]

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    quote:what the hell are people so all fired up about storing?Apparently it isn't the $100 worth of junk littering the inside of their garages while they have to park $75,000 worth of vehicles outside on their driveways! [:0][:D]

One of my pet peeves!

Pay $100.00/month to store $50.00 worth of junk. And most things just don't "store" well! So pay $100.00/month to throw it out in a few years! I just don't get it!
    The storage units are for short term storage in my opinion......
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know some people running businesses out of them, some store thier products there, one runs an auto repair shop and a couple that are mini offices.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My FIL is a sweetie pie....just an ANGEL. He built two rows of storage buildings on a piece of land he owns next to Locust Fork park. There are 100 units, two different sized...some small and some large enough to park a car in. He used to let people slip on paying the rent and he also used to try to go through all of the crap people left and pull out and go through the SEA of crap people left behind. It was the perfect storm as far as any business adventure goes. If you are an overly-kind person people just take advantage of you....nearly every time.

He finally let his son in law take over the running of things. He got the people out that hadn't been paying and cleans things out so there isn't a mountain of "stuff" piling up that really needs to be taken straight to the dump.

The thing that used to kill me about it was people who were behind on their rent....they would realize they couldn't pay and they would go through the unit and pull out anything of any value. They COULD have just emptied it out and left owing a bill....but these morons would leave a huge pile of junk and trash that had to be hauled off. People are just garbage these days.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would expect nothing else from the majority of people.[xx(][xx(]

"but these morons would leave a huge pile of junk and trash that had to be hauled off. People are just garbage these days."
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't have that problem except "plastic food storage containers". You can never have enough of the correct sizes.

Renting somewhere to "store your stuff" for over 6 months is one step away from being a hoarder.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What to store? Stuff you use once a year. Easter decorations, Memorial Day decorations, July 4 decorations, Labor Day decorations, Halloween decorations, Thanksgiving decorations, and of course Christmas decorations.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,960 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Albuquerque has a "mall" restaurants and clothing mostly, made of stacked shipping containers. Good tacos.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,389 ******
    edited November -1
    I really appreciate the self storage business. Around here there are a few people who store all of their stuff out in their yards!

And that is an eyesore for sure![xx(]
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ricci Wright
    Yep here too. If you gotta rent a storage unit for any length of time you probably need to have a sale.

Or you're moving, or getting a divorce, or have a kid in college, or just downsized your house, or your parents died and you have some of their stuff, or your brother/sister just got evicted and is living with you, or it's NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.