In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Nevada Unit 131

rdbradleyrdbradley Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
edited March 2011 in General Discussion
Im buying a landowner mule deer tag that allows me to hunt all the season, archery through late rifle. Anyone willing to share any info.I've hunted all over but not Nevada
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't understand anything about it, but someone here does.
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I understood from a fellow I know, his favorite was the Rose mtns, southeast of Ely.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stay down wind and move real slow.
  • Options
    tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sure they use guns, and bows and arrows to [:D][:D]

What ya gonna be hunting for ??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    mule deer, been talkin to a bioligist,just thought I might get some Helpfull info
  • Options
    edited November -1
    dont know about rose mtns. my unit31 is west of Ely, thanks
  • Options
    torosapotorosapo Member Posts: 4,946
    edited November -1
    I live about 15 miles south of Ely, when you going to be hunting? How far west of Ely is that unit?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I dont have my info with me now but Ely is right on the east boundry of unit 131 i think its hwy 50 to the north and what ever hwy drops south from ely and then to the west and everything inbetween
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    Every body in Nevada hunts deer (that's all they have)
    they close down buz. to hunt..there are only 5 deer left in Nevada

good luck.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The other highway may be 6, the "Grand Army of the Republic" highway. Are the White Pine Mtns in your unit?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah I googled it you will be on the other side of the mtn range from me. My wife and I are going to apply for Antelope tags this year. We have a herd of about 50 that come by every day. Some come up to about 30 yards from our trailer. One big guy has horns twice as high as his ears.
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats ... there are good bucks to be had in NV, especially so to the North and/or even more so those Eastern areas. What I wouldn't have given to be able to hunt there abouts.

Can not help you with that area ... I have hunted Mulies in several areas ... but all are a bit further West than your area, sorry about that.

Do know that there is good game there abouts ... access for hunting is generally the greatest obstacle ... but apparently you have that end of things covered. Some very classy Mulies in that neighborhood ( and as mentioned above ... the Rubies esta bien, tambien!!! )

((I had lived in the Reno-Carson City areas and property there abouts and know some of that country pretty well ... but did not "hunt" it. Had I a permit such as yours, would have been great, as I did know the where abouts of game. Never did draw a regular tag for that area either!))
  • Options
    m88.358winm88.358win Member Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I travel through that unit every year heading to my Colorado hunt. It's located on the south side of Hi 50 between Eureka & Ely. Elk and deer warning signs posted all along the highway on that unit. You should do well with a late season hunt.

I followed this guy from Eureka to Fallon.

scout5.jpg

• Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone, woodhog, yes the white pines are in that unit. Some other areas are the Bald,Currant and Red mountains, I think some of those areas are within wilderness.Torosapo,good luck on drawing tags,I got a nice goat in northern Cal. several years ago, missed B&C by 5/8". 17" tall but had week cutters.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    There is a Rose Mtn. on the Cal-Nev Border, but the Rose Mtns. are southeast of Ely, near Great Basin-Lehman Cave Nat'l Park. Its also known for Elk hunting, tho hard to draw. I know one fellow who tried for twenty years before finally getting a tag, but he said it was worth it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    looks like a pretty nice bull in the back of that truck. I was planning to elk hunt montana until this nevada tag came up
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I almosyt hit a bull elk this morning driving into town and saw two cows on my way home less than 30 min later. I couldn't see how many points but he should be a good one this fall.
  • Options
    scrumpyjackscrumpyjack Member Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by moonshine

good luck.

I have seen herds of 15-20 mulies, 90-100 antelope, more elk than you can shake a stick at... You just can't shoot 'em where I've seen 'em.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by scrumpyjack
    quote:Originally posted by moonshine

good luck.

I have seen herds of 15-20 mulies, 90-100 antelope, more elk than you can shake a stick at... You just can't shoot 'em where I've seen 'em.
    I bet'cha they'd be just as dead,if shot where U seen'em!!![^]
    (shouldda done that in LIME green)[8D]
    Best of luck to you rd...I hope U get a chance at a biggin!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Fishkiller, unfortunatly it doesnt look lile were getting those tags. The land owner found out we were califonians and said he wouldnt let us on his ranch unless supevised,wont even sell em to us if we dont hunt his ranch. To many aholes giving us a bad name i suppose. I knew I was born in the wrong state! Back to montana, will know in april.