In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

At The Holiday Inn

dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
edited September 2016 in General Discussion
My wife and i were coming from Niagra Falls in Canada and we decided to take a detour through Main and down the east coast to NC.

Well we stopped for the night and the cleanest place was a Holiday Inn so we stayed their 1 night.

As soon as my wife walks in she closes the latch on the door so it only opens about 4 inches.

I am getting comfortable taking off my shoes and taking my gun out off my pants when 4 black men opened our door with a key card. I had the gun pointed at them and that saved their life.

If my wife did not latch the door i would have shot and killed or hurt at least 2 of the 4.

Holiday Inn rebooked the room and gave them my key card.

Needless to say i stayed free that night.

I wonder if i would have went to jail.

Comments

• Options
    acdoddacdodd Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I checked in and went to my room. Opened the door with the key card and there was a woman sitting on the bed, fully dressed fortunately for her.
    I think she tried to scream but couldn't.
    I said the front desk screwed up, apologized and backed out fast.
    She hit the door running and locked it.
    When I got back to the front desk she was on the phone screaming very loudly.
    I would bet she made sure to lock the door first thing when she entered from that night on.
    Glad she didn't shoot me.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    drama just follows you around like a lost puppy
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,034 ******
    edited November -1
    That's scary close call,,[:0][:0].
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you'd gotten caught with that handgun in Canada you would be in Jail...did you stash it on the US side or something? Shooting the guys coming in the door would depend if you could articulate that your life was in grave danger. If you couldn't prove that then yes you would go to jail.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ruger41
    If you'd gotten caught with that handgun in Canada you would be in Jail...did you stash it on the US side or something? Shooting the guys coming in the door would depend if you could articulate that your life was in grave danger. If you couldn't prove that then yes you would go to jail.

NY does not recognize your permit. Nor Canada. When traveling please study up before leaving. Canadian Border will drag you off to jail for the most minor offense. I didn't have a work permit. Wasted an entire day. Glad I left the firearms at home that trip.... I know folks whose $100k+ campers were impounded for one pistol hidden in the under bunker.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And lord help you if caught in New Jersey with a loaded gun with hollowpoints in it. It's a huge offense that can land you in prison for years.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    really a sorry state of AMERICA when self defense is a criminal act
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,382 ******
    edited November -1
    IMO, it is the Holiday Inn that is the root cause of this whole problem! If they were to do their job right....no cause for any incident.
  • Options
    EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I knew a couple and their baby who were coming back from Canada and had their car searched and the border cops found some Black Cat sparklers in the trunk. They were held for two weeks and had to send for a birth certificate to prove the child was theirs. They were told to never come back.

Juan Tonabondo.
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by EVILDR235
    I knew a couple and their baby who were coming back from Canada and had their car searched and the border cops found some Black Cat sparklers in the trunk. They were held for two weeks and had to send for a birth certificate to prove the child was theirs. They were told to never come back.

Juan Tonabondo.

F canada- If they don't want us law abiders #@!that crappy beer making clown show.
  • Options
    riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1-fan

[^]
  • Options
    96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I stayed in a Holiday Inn last night, took my gun out of the holster. When I woke up this morning I felt like Charles Bronson. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1-fan

My first thought also.....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This was about 14 or 15 years ago for my honey moon. When i was driving in Canada i forgot the mph goes to kph. For about 1/2 mile i was passing some people.

I would not try to take a gun their now.[:(]

Times have changed. We stayed in the Canada side of the falls. It was beautiful we could sit in our hot tube and watch the falls from the room.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was still against the law 10-15-20+ years ago to take a handgun in to Canada.

Yes, Niagra Falls are beautiful from the Canadian side.
  • Options
    reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yeah, no kidding! event after event...kinda makes one wonder...quote:Originally posted by 1911a1-fan
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dav1965
    This was about 14 or 15 years ago for my honey moon. When i was driving in Canada i forgot the mph goes to kph. For about 1/2 mile i was passing some people.

I would not try to take a gun their now.[:(]

Times have changed. We stayed in the Canada side of the falls. It was beautiful we could sit in our hot tube and watch the falls from the room.

should began OP with that IMHO
  • Options
    swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reload999
    yeah, no kidding! event after event...kinda makes one wonder...quote:Originally posted by 1911a1-fan

A door that is latched and will open only 4 inches. He is a minimum of 10 feet from door and can see 4 men through the crack (they must have all taken turns peeking into the room). And, of course, they are black, what else could they be.
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by swearengine

A door that is latched and will open only 4 inches. He is a minimum of 10 feet from door and can see 4 men through the crack (they must have all taken turns peeking into the room). And, of course, they are black, what else could they be.

You know how skinny those black crack smokers in New England can be.. Four of them can walk beside each other and pass right through a 4" crack.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wife and i went to Topeka where she attended a 2 day conference at Menningers...we stayed right across 70 at motel and second day i loaded the car up locked room and piddled around till she was thru and picked her up and went back to he motel to finish up and leave...opened the room and some bozo was sprawled out in the chair watching tv...he skedaddeled like a scalded cat...i complained at the desk in front of several checking in till the manager gave me a free night to shut up then i gave him the room key and an unpleasant goodbye....glad i had left nothing of real value in the room for the 2 hours i was gone....figure it was an employee with a pass key
  • Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I lost .75 in a soda machine at a holiday inn once
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

It would appear that you are questioning the authenticity of this event.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa

You know how skinny those black crack smokers in New England can be.. Four of them can walk beside each other and pass right through a 4" crack.

I'm sorry,....that's funny.[:D]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I saw 2 people and buy the time i opened the door i saw 4 people running away. I can count to 4.
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For 25 years my work had me staying in a hotel 3/4 nights a week almost every week. I have had plenty of such experiences, One of the weirdest was at a Holiday Inn, I had to go and there was no restroom at the check inn, I had to pee bad, so as soon as I got a card I hightailed it to the room, went thru the door straight into the bathroom, I was standing there , equipment in hand relieving myself when A PRETTY LADY COME INTO THE ROOM AND JUST STOOD AND WATCHED. I apparently was in Her room, they had double booked it, she was at the ice machine and saw me go in and followed me, It was too late for me to stop so we just stood there and talked while I took a leak then we both went back down to the desk
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I took a girl to a cheap hotel once and the maintenance man walked in on us.

I didn't say nothing, she didn't say nothing, he didn't say nothing but Ill bet he told that story to someone!

[}:)][}:)][:D][:D]
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,382 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gearheaddad
    It was still against the law 10-15-20+ years ago to take a handgun in to Canada.
    Yep, been like that for 40+ years that I know of.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dav1965
    I saw 2 people and buy the time i opened the door i saw 4 people running away. I can count to 4.

liquor will do that[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Would it?quote:Originally posted by shilowar

• Options
    edited November -1

yes
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't know the man & I wasn't there, but I would wonder about anyone who constantly reports on having so many ultra dramatic events in their lives...I'm probably not the only member with these thoughts, although I'm probably the only one blunt enough to express such doubts. quote:Originally posted by riflemike

yes