In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Comments

• Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy a Savage. You'll be happier.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JUNK. Just my opinion.I wouldnt buy it when for a few hundred more I could have a nice used remington 700 bdl
  • Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    never heard of them. [:I]
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would go with the Savage Axis over it. It was called the Savage Edge. Search both.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't say I know much about it but after paying shipping and transfer fees your looking at $320. Are there any gun shops near your or retailers that might sell the same rifle.
    I like Mossberg shotguns but don't know much about their rifles. I do know that the Maverick line is generally their low end stuff.
  • Options
    codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    Also thinking
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=262793247

The deal- my son wants a .308 hunting rifle. Was thinking remmy 770, but the reviews are positively horrific. He won't take my 110FP because it has a heavy barrel and is too heavy to hump about. Mom has a ceiling of 400 tops, and will skin me alive if I break it as much as I know it needs to be done. I may just have to throw myself under the bus.I spend waaayyyyyy too much time under there already, so I am apprehensive. He is a great kid, but like any kid his age (16) he won't really appreciate the sacrifice.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I saw a few pretty cool Mossberg "AR's" on TV the other weekend.
    I liked the 7.62/308 model best.
    They did away with the "forward assist" though...
    I dunno why a hunter would ever need an assist anyhow
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buschmaster
    looks good for a under 300$ budget shooter. the action has to work good enough for that kind of money. only thing to consider is the trigger.

More like $320 after paying shipping and transfer fees.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's one of the best of the bottom feeders.

[:o)]

if you are going to hunt animals and probably in around 150-200 yards, it ok.

If you plan to be a sniper and try and pick off zombies at 201+ yards, you might wanna reconsider.

I would NEVER buy a youth rifle. They are only youth for a few years, they are grown people for a lifetime. Don't buy a gun for them to outgrow and have to buy another one. Buy them one they can use forever and always remember you bought it for them.
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=262770812

Better trigger then the trek.

Parts are made in Mexico on mavrick arms stuff that inturn keeps costs down.

reviews and reports on the 100 were mixed to start. I have been looking into a .243 myself. Of course like most guns I buy it's after lengthy research and shopping around, so I haven't bought one yet.

The stevens model 200 also comes to mind as a good value gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7

In the words of my 5 year old nephew "you don't know".
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mossbergboogie

I do know. My Savage 111 is sub-MOA at 100 yards. 3 .30 cal holes in an area the size of a US Quarter Dollar coin.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jltrent
    or this one:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=261954152

I have one like this one and for the money I believe it is hard to beat. I put a $200 Bushnell Elite scope on it and it is dead on.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mossbergboogie

I do know. My Savage 111 is sub-MOA at 100 yards. 3 .30 cal holes in an area the size of a US Quarter Dollar coin.

Have you in comparison shot a trek or 100 atr?
  • Options
    Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

+ 100
  • Options
    7.62x39Lover7.62x39Lover Member Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd go with the Savage Axis for a low end rifle just because I don't know anybody who's bought a Mossberg rifle.
  • Options
    CbtEngr01CbtEngr01 Member Posts: 4,340
    edited November -1
    I have a Mossberg ATR 308. it's not the most spectacular rifle out there by far. but for a beater hunting rifle it does just fine. I wouldn't choose it for long range bench rest competition, but if I dropped it out of a deer stand I wouldn't cry
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CbtEngr01
    I have a Mossberg ATR 308. it's not the most spectacular rifle out there by far. but for a beater hunting rifle it does just fine. I wouldn't choose it for long range bench rest competition, but if I dropped it out of a deer stand I wouldn't cry

And so..this is what we ended up with. Medium wt barrel. Gun shop 5 miles down the road had a table at the gun show 35 miles away and that's where we found it. Shop owner recognized me (apparently I'm a frequent customer-don't tell my wife) he threw in a Harris bipod, soft case, sling, and box o black Hills Match for $359 out the door. How'd we do?
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Your "extras" add up to $100 in a hurry.

I'd say you did good. And if you didn't, strip the extras off and put them on something else down the line.
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1

Wow, you have a Savage with a 90 yard barrel.?
  • Options
    CSI21CSI21 Member Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you figured it out for yourself, I would have started looking in the pawn shops after hunting season. Amazing what you can find with a little looking.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Pisser is the way it worked out. The gun store is 5 miles from the house and had already quoted prices on the Axis (which was unavailable for ship yet) and totally talked me out of the 770. Had to drive 35 miles to the gun show to see they had it in inventory. Never noticed it on the rack in the shop. Wasn't really looking for it specifically either.

The bipod, I don't have much use for, but my son likes the look (I suspect he'll get over that soon enough) The rest of the stuff will probably stay on the rifle.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by codenamepaul
    quote:Originally posted by CbtEngr01

And so..this is what we ended up with. Medium wt barrel. Gun shop 5 miles down the road had a table at the gun show 35 miles away and that's where we found it. Shop owner recognized me (apparently I'm a frequent customer-don't tell my wife) he threw in a Harris bipod, soft case, sling, and box o black Hills Match for $359 out the door. How'd we do?

I can't speak for the gun but your best deal are the extras, the Harris bipod in particular, depending which model, it is worth between $75 to $125.
  • Options
    godalejrgodalejr Member Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i would go savage myself if i am buying anything new
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Savage. My will put 3 .17 caliber holes in a dime at 50 yards. Into a nickle at 100. A good shooter could probably do better.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 20+ year old Savage 111F in .300 Win Mag puts hole where it counts at 338 yards [^] ...

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=410736&SearchTerms=antelope
  • Options
    Horney toadHorney toad Member Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't say, hunting rifles bore me to tears.