In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Russian Subs trolling off East Coast.

Comments

• Options
    StingSting Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was in Jamaica once, sitting on the beach at the southern end in a place called Green Island. An elderly lady sat down next to me and we talked at length. She spoke about how during that war German navy boats and ships would often stop, (it's shallow there,) and the sailors would row ashore. During those day's there were no facilities or even a store of any kind but they would take the fruit and veg's that grew. She was very interesting.
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Keep in mind that it's not what we know is there. It's what we don't.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I didn't know subs had trolling motors. [:D]
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Probably lining up at Wal-mart for .22 ammo
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    Russian Subs trolling off East Coast.

They have only been doing this for the last 50 yrs or so, no news here.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mogley98

[:D][:D]
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,421 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1

Most likely. Ya can't get the stuff in Russia due to panic buyers. The sub sailors are looking to be gougers....
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They have to. If they didn't come here to offset all of our subs trolling off their coasts, there'd be huge holes left on our side the ocean.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    And I will bet you tomorrow's lunch that our SOSUS stations picked them up long before they entered the Denmark Straits...noisy as cowbells. Nothing to fear here.
  • Options
    rscoleman88rscoleman88 Member Posts: 4,250
    edited November -1
    There's people that troll here daily. [;)] What's your point?[:D]
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm glad they are only trolling. If they were patrolling I would be worried. [:D]
    Of course, WE would never do something like that to their country. [;)][:D]
  • Options
    pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1

[:D][8D]

Nearly Don-worthy!
  • Options
    pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rscoleman88
    There's people that troll here daily. [;)] What's your point?[:D]

aflac_duck.jpg

WHAT!
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    not to worry... it's just putin sending allahbummer some borscht in return for foreign aid and the whiz bang helicopter contract
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looking for wicked tuna...
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    It's been more and more common that the russians do what seems like practice bombing runs, and practice with fighterplanes near a neighbouring border.

Last I heard of it, it was during easter that they flew some TU22M bomberplanes directly towards Stockholm and another place down south in sweeden - both having large military installations.
    The TU22M's are capable of carrying small nukes and they only broke off their practise run, because danish planes in lithauania got up to greet them.
    But they were about 1 minute away from what seemed like their practise "target", which raises some concern.

Seems about a year ago, it was mainly fighterplanes that did these runs, seemingly to test the border.

Lately they've used bigger planes, like the TU22M bomber for the same runs.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are just playing catchup to the experts. After all, is it Russia that has sent military troops into the most foreign countries in the last 20 years? [:D] Ha. Rank amateurs. They are WAY out of practice. [;)][:D]
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hahhahaha.. Now thats the best one Ive heard yet !!
    [:D][:D]
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    They cruise around off our coast gathering electronic intel.

Nothing new here. It's just been several years since they could afford to do it.
  • Options
    pogybatepogybate Member Posts: 3,150
    edited November -1
    They don't have to be close to shore to do what they are designed to accomplish. Probly jest sight-seeing.[;)]
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of course we never sent planes over their airspace. Remember back in the 50s & 60s all our "weather recon" planes that were shot down after they
    "accidently" strayed into Warsaw Pact airspace?
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    They trolling for Bill-fish or Pelagics?[8D]
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I think they are tired of lookin' at their unibrow Russian women & want to see some American Beach Bunnies.
  • Options
    Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the words chosen were chosen deliberately then I come away from the article with a sense that the subs are seeking to cause trouble and gain some sort of confrontation with our navy for whatever reasons. If people can troll internet forums I am sure sub commanders can troll international waters right out side the boundaries.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I had a military I'd want them to practice too [:D], its common knowledge that we do the same to them [;)]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just look hard and you might see a recovery ship to tow them home when they break down
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,043 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nord
    Keep in mind that it's not what we know is there. It's what we don't.
    Yep!
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,071 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bambihunter
    I didn't know subs had trolling motors. [:D]
    [;)][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Waco Waltz
    Reminds me of the NAZI subs doing the same during the last two big wars.

http://www.vice.com/read/russian-nuclear-submarines-are-trolling-the-east-coast?utm_source=taboola&utm_campaign=editorialsafe
    There's only one troll involved in this post.
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dlrjj

http://www.vice.com/read/russian-nuclear-submarines-are-trolling-the-east-coast?utm_source=taboola&utm_campaign=editorialsafe
    There's only one troll involved in this post.

It amazes me that you can belittle me while implying I am un intelligent in post after post in what I would consider boarder line Stalking and then post this with a seemingly straight face that I have somehow trolled with my OP at top.

For a guy who thinks I am stupid you actually outdo me in almost all of your posts at the game of stupidity.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IBTL
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Gentlemen,

Stop and think for a moment. Two nations with a powerful military, both rivals of the other and both with a bathtub full of toys. Each nation spending untold treasure to best the other. Is it really any great surprise that each nation constantly tests the other? And is it really a bad thing?

If we were to step back and look at the whole picture it would become evident that neither Russia nor the US have any great desire to destroy the other, at least not in the physical sense. Certainly both nations have that capacity but the reality is that the destruction of one all but guarantees the destruction of the other.

And there's another unspoken factor. Whether either nation is willing to admit it, we have common enemies. At some point our mutual differences may become insignificant when compared to the threat posed from the outside. A somewhat hidden example of this phenomena is the casual mention of cooperation between our nations with regard to terrorism. We're being forced together.

Don't get me wrong... Each nation is quite happy to instigate or assist in causing problems for the other. It's part of the game. But even then there are rules. And whether Russia admits it or not, I suspect our common Islamic foes will at some point step over the line and their threat will trump any differences with the US.

Then there's China. Talk about a wild card. Tell me that the Russians aren't nervous about their big and powerful neighbor. It's one thing to look across the Pacific and speculate about China. It's entirely another to sit on the border in Siberia and wonder.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Reminds me of the NAZI subs doing the same during the last two big wars.German subs were there with the express purpose of sinking ships. These Russian subs have an entirely different mission.

These aren't WWI/WWII quality submarines and weapons. They're equipped with systems which don't require that they be immediately offshore to intercept ships. The only reason these are parked so close to our coastline is to serve as electronic emmission intercept stations.

Many here seem to either be unaware or have forgotten the days when an entire fleet of 'Soviet fishing trawlers' [;)] cruised around off our coasts 24/7 during the Cold War days. These were nothing but floating antenna farms to listen in on US operations.

Once their sub fleet increased these off-shore electronic intel gathering vehicles moved underwater. With that county's financial collapse these missions ended, but now that Russia has recovered those people many see as our friends have resumed their old way of doing things.

Other than their return being a sign of increasingly strained relations with the newer regime there's really no reason to get all spooled up these subs.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Txs
    Reminds me of the NAZI subs doing the same during the last two big wars.German subs were there with the express purpose of sinking ships. These Russian subs have an entirely different mission.

These aren't WWI/WWII quality submarines and weapons. They're equipped with systems which don't require that they be immediately offshore to intercept ships. The only reason these are parked so close to our coastline is to serve as electronic emmission intercept stations.

Many here seem to either be unaware or have forgotten the days when an entire fleet of 'Soviet fishing trawlers' [;)] cruised around off our coasts 24/7 during the Cold War days. These were nothing but floating antenna farms to listen in on US operations.

Once their sub fleet increased these off-shore electronic intel gathering vehicles moved underwater. With that county's financial collapse these missions ended, but now that Russia has recovered those people many see as our friends have resumed their old way of doing things.

Other than their return being a sign of increasingly strained relations with the newer regime there's really no reason to get all spooled up these subs.

Good factual prespective. Now that the Russians have renounced Communism, we actually have more in common with them than many of our previous allies. What other country has the horsepower to aid is slowing Chicom expansion?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking

Good factual prespective. Now that the Russians have renounced Communism, we actually have more in common with them than many of our previous allies. What other country has the horsepower to aid is slowing Chicom expansion?

Yes! Good thing he posted that! I was all worried they were sinking ships off the coast and that we had Dan Aykroyd manning coastal guns and Jim Belushi landing in the middle of the road to rally the troops!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes! Good thing he posted that! I was all worried they were sinking ships off the coast and that we had Dan Aykroyd manning coastal guns and Jim Belushi landing in the middle of the road to rally the troops! [?]

• Options
    edited November -1
    Yes! Good thing he posted that! I was all worried they were sinking ships off the coast and that we had Dan Aykroyd manning coastal guns and Jim Belushi landing in the middle of the road to rally the troops! [?]

'
    I guess I took your post in a kind of tell me something I don't know kind of way. I did not mean to say the situation was the same just that with the subs out there I feel I know a bit how folks felt during the war.