In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Police selling guns from buyback Program!

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2013 in General Discussion
Gosh turn in a fine hunting rifle for 100 bucks and the cops sell it for 200 bucks to a gun dealer! What a rip-off again from the government!Seize by the courts? More like profit by the courts![:D]

serf

http://www.breitbart.com/system/wire/upiUPI-20130531-114407-6464

St. Charles Police Chief James Lamkin said about 20 firearms obtained through a gun buyback program and seized by courts will be sold to the dealers, the Chicago Tribune reported Friday.

Comments

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    Would you rather see them cut up? Seriously?
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn

+1

There have been numerous threads here about agencies destroying firearms that came into their hands (turn ins, confiscated, recovered from crimes, ect) rather than reselling them. This one goes back 11 years but there are many others:

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=36953
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really like their rational.
    Squander tax payer dollars taking guns of the street, pound their chest and crow about it and then sell these same guns to dealers who will in turn sell them to private citizens. In essence putting them right back, as they would call it, back on the street.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Of course not but the local government is two face on the issue and if you have a gun stolen without the serial number being taken & reported then the government is not going to return it back to the owner. Off to the gun dealer it goes!

serf
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That one would be on the original owner serf.
    I'd wager most people don't maintain a current list of serial numbers. I keep two. One here at home and one at my fathers in case something happens to the one here.
  • Options
    k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it really a ripoff ? did anyone force the people to take them to a buy back? or is it more of a case of a agency turning a profit because people didnt want them and were too lazy or impatient to sell them to a dealer themselves.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So now the cops are scalpers? I won't complain until I go to the police station and see ammo for triple price! [:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our local sheriff "gives" (indefinite loan) excess guns from his evidence locker to our local club to be used for instructional programs, such as the youth shoots and the ladies firearms familiarization program. Recycling them back into the private sector is a GOOD thing. The only thing I would require of the PD in the article is that the minimum sales price to the dealer be the amount the PD paid for the gun. In that way, there would be no loss of public money. i.e. If the PD paid $100 of tax money for the gun in the buy-back, they need to get at least that much when they resell. If the idiots that participate in the buy-back had any sense, they would cut out the middle man and sell the gun directly to the dealer instead of participating in the buy-back. But, these folks are not really considered to be "rocket surgeons", as they say. [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by k.stanonik
    Is it really a ripoff ? did anyone force the people to take them to a buy back? or is it more of a case of a agency turning a profit because people didnt want them and were too lazy or impatient to sell them to a dealer themselves.

No it's if your too lazy to copy,file and report a firearm stolen is where they play the game even though the BATF has a record or will have.

Now let's say a gun is used in a political murder and dropped by the assailant and then pick up by our government authorities,just how fast can they track down the original owner? There's your loophole to getting hot guns legitimately!What probably 70% of all guns turned in!

serf
  • Options
    nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see no problem with this. People willing turn them into police which is usually old women who have no use after their husband dies or somebody just isnt merely interested in weapons and finds that to be a safe way to discard of it vs trashing it or doing the garage sale thing.

Second people willingly buy them and just about any gun as long as its in good shape is a good deal at 200 bucks.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******
    edited November -1
    [Insert irrational emotional outrage here]
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    [Insert irrational emotional outrage here]

Strongly worded letter to follow! [;)]
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

That's what we do....sigh, cut them up/crush them twice a year.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think this is all that bad of an idea.

They take in guns from the street from idiots stupid enough to turn them in for $100.

You know the serial #'s get ran, illegal or evidence kept, other sold back to dealer.

They may possibly get a crime gun every once in a while & make some money from the deal.

The guns don't get destroyed & people have the chance to buy them.
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The mantra of government today seems to follow Boss Tweed(old time NY corrupt Dem) who would say "What are you going to do about it"...
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

If the department bought with the intent to sell, shouldn't the BATFE investigate?

Unless the department holds an FFL, of course.

[:)]
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus

If the department bought with the intent to sell, shouldn't the BATFE investigate?

Unless the department holds an FFL, of course.

[:)]
    An excellent point, Don McManus.
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

+1

People are stupid. And some are real stupid.
    A neighbor of mine told me once after her father died that her Mother had a bunch of "high quality" guns she wanted to sell. She was having a hard time making it on her Social Security and very limited savings. My neighbor told me her Father worked for a very successful small business and the owner gave him "engraved high quality Browning shotgun rifles and shotguns" all through the 50's through the 70's as bonus's. And they were stacked up in Browning boxes in various closets. Names like Diana Grade and Pigeon Grade were on the boxes.
    I told her, your Mother may be sitting on a gold mine and I would be interested in buying all of them.
    A few months later, I asked about the guns and she told me her Mother just gave them to the local police so she wouldn't get in any trouble.
    Yup, true story.
  • Options
    Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1

NO but I think the fact they are selling them shows that buy backs should not be done in the first place.

Selling buy back guns. Is that so they can buy them back again? [?][?][?]