In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Okay Who Fought Fires on the BUTTERCUP

p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
edited June 2018 in General Discussion
BUTTERCUP was just water, but onboard ship or flight deck it was real.
AFFF claimed to cause cancer. [V]

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/09/12/firefighting-foam-linked-water-contamination-injuries-fire.html

Comments

• Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ahhh. The good ol'buttercup..she is still in action as a simulator. One of the better simulators in my opinion.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike- I kmow you were in the Per Diem [:D]Navy but AFFF was regularly used by anyone working the flight deck to scrub down the roof. If i recall correctly we usually did it before pulling into port or of there was some major event (fire, explosion, etc.)

Participated many times. Ill let you know if i dont die of old age.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Warbirds
    Mike- I kmow you were in the Per Diem [:D]Navy but AFFF was regularly used by anyone working the flight deck to scrub down the roof. If i recall correctly we usually did it before pulling into port or of there was some major event (fire, explosion, etc.)

Participated many times. Ill let you know if i dont die of old age.

[}:)]
    In the days before per diem, I was on FORRESTAL,but worked Main Deck. I had to fight a paint locker fire once, but just used seawater to put it out. I never had to use AFFF, always purple K or Halon in the mags.

I'd keep an eye on the case. Sounds like a potential Agent Orange fiasco.
  • Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Will also have to watch news on this stuff.

I was on DC team and we we used this stuff regularly to knock down oil fires in boiler room.

It was in red cans and we had to insert take up tubes into the cans and the stuff used to splash all over us.
  • Options
    pawnee66pawnee66 Member Posts: 223 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We had a day of fire fighting during boot camp in 1967. I knew from the start that I had made a good choice on being an Airdale. Our instructors were all black shoe smokeaters. God Love'em!!