In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Butter - Refrigerate or not??

RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
edited January 2013 in General Discussion
From my other post, Butter is winning the consensus handily.

So do you keep your butter in the fridge?

I have always kept my margarine in the fridge and it was spreadable, but the butter is not. I do remember my grandmother having stick butter in a little glass container with a glass cover that sat on the kitchen table next to the salt and pepper and it was soft.

So which is it?

Comments

• Options
    IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Always have one stick soft in the cupboard
  • Options
    tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with Grandma.
    And that's how Mom did it when I was a kid.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    >>>Commercial butter is about 80% butterfat and 15% water; traditionally made butter may have as little as 65% fat and 30% water. Butterfat is a mixture of triglyceride, a triester derived from glycerol and three of any of several fatty acid groups.[9] Butter becomes rancid when these chains break down into smaller components, like butyric acid and diacetyl.<<<

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butter

Keeping butter at a refrigerator temperature -- along with keeping it wrapped so air and light exposure is kept to a minimum -- will slow the process of decomposition down.

Considering the cost of butter -- and the ease with which one can soften it (in a microwave) -- I don't know why one would let is sit out at room temperature.
  • Options
    SLIDER-in-KYSLIDER-in-KY Member Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have always kept a stick of butter out of the fridge. Main reason....because that's how my grandmother kept hers!!
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Butter is bought in bulk at Aldi's 10-20 pounds at a time, kept in the freezer until the pound in the frig is gone. Once it gets put in the glass butter dish it never goes back under refrigeration again.

I leave the wrapper on the butter rather than putting the stick on the glass butter tray, it does not slide around so much and keeps the butter tray cleaner, longer.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    We do exactly as bpost does.
  • Options
    elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to my MIL and she knows all if you do not get butter on sides of glass container or on rim just in the bottom it will be fine on the table if its on rim or sides it can get mold on it. She has a container on her table and it never spoils.
  • Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Salted butter (bought from store that way) will keep on table for weeks.

Unsalted butter will not.

Not to difficult.
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    a stick of butter doesnt last long enough on the counter for me to worry about it going bad....
  • Options
    torosapotorosapo Member Posts: 4,946
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KEVD18
    a stick of butter doesnt last long enough on the counter for me to worry about it going bad....

Same here, use it on my toast every morning and in cooking a lot.[8D]
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Considering the cost of butter -- and the ease with which one can soften it (in a microwave) -- I don't know why one would let is sit out at room temperature

So the cat can lick it.[:)]
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    never seen ants in the fridge
  • Options
    Gary LGary L Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We use exactly the crock Countryfarmer posted the link to and will never go back. The concept is rather simple, the butter is in a water tight seal and the normal bacteria never gets to it. The crock holds one stick from a 4 stick pound.
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    [:D][:D][:D][^]quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    quote:Considering the cost of butter -- and the ease with which one can soften it (in a microwave) -- I don't know why one would let is sit out at room temperature

• Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We leave a stick or so out on the counter so it stays soft or in case the cats get hungry.[;)][:D]
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog

[:D]
    That made me laugh. I remember as a kid I was at a friends house and his mom made us some toast with butter and while I was eating it i glanced into the kitchen and saw their cat on the counter licking the butter. For some reason ZI wasn't hungry anymore.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Brummel & Brown spreadable.
    Only use real butter for certain cooking situations.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite
    We leave a stick or so out on the counter so it stays soft or in case the cats get hungry.[;)][:D]

my dog will eat butter like nobodys business. if she gets her paws on a fresh stick, she'll eat about half, three quarters of it and bury the rest in the furniture. thats a lot of fun
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KEVD18
    quote:Originally posted by armilite

my dog will eat butter like nobodys business. if she gets her paws on a fresh stick, she'll eat about half, three quarters of it and bury the rest in the furniture. thats a lot of fun

WOW,.....don't you have something else to clean up later also?[:)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The one cat I have likes mayonnaise I always give her a 1/2 tablespoon when I'm making a sandwich. The other cat doesn't, the one that does has fur as smooth as glass.[;)][:D][:D]
  • Options
    evileye fleagalevileye fleagal Member Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    one butter stick out.....the rest in the fridge.[:)]
  • Options
    MudderChuckMudderChuck Member Posts: 4,105
    edited November -1
    Cold butter makes my cheeks clench.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MudderChuck
    Cold butter makes my cheeks clench.

Cold butter burns holes in my bread.[;)]
  • Options
    SwanKongSwanKong Member Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by diver-rig
    Salted butter (bought from store that way) will keep on table for weeks.

Unsalted butter will not.

Not to difficult.

+1
  • Options
    edgecamedgecam Member Posts: 3,280
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kidthatsirish
    one butter stick out.....the rest in the fridge.[:)]

Yup, what he said.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Grandma also thought it was a good idea to put butter on burns, and not wear seat belts, turns out she was wrong
  • Options
    ltssalesltssales Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I stick mine in the fridge.

We are talking about butter right?