In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I really don't know what I'm doing...

DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
edited July 2017 in General Discussion
Bought a nice walnut stock for my Garand today. Looks like it was never installed. When I tried to put it together I saw why. It doesn't fit.

The rear of the receiver had about a 1/4" gap between it and the wood. I saw what looked like an obvious point of interference (the long flats on the top of both sides) so I filed those down and the action is a closer fit but still not close enough. I am hesitant to file any more from that area as I wonder if somewhere else could be the sticking point.

Any tips or suggestions?
....................................................................................................
Too old to live...too young to die...

Comments

• Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I tried working on it again this morning but I can't see where it's not fitting. I got it closer but I give up. Will have to try to find a pro who can make it work. Trouble is I don't know of any decent smiths in this area.
    ....................................................................................................
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,963 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Blackening does work is messy but not hard. Just go slowly a little at a time. Even I could do it on a kit muzzleloader Doc, and I am no gunsmith, I called Forgemonkey for help loading.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't recall seeing any commercial stocks that were cut correctly; even the Boyd's stocks were oversized.

This stock is extremely difficult to fit. You must have the correct amount of pressure exerted by the relationship between the receiver & the trigger guard hooks.

Consider cutting your losses:
    https://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/082M

Neal
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    The trigger guard may also need work. Mine the receiver fits in just fine. But I cannot get it to latch in. Really need to take mine in. But I do Have a good smith near me. The reason I have been waiting is I'm thinking of having a new barrel put in then re finished.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My trouble is the action won't drop into the stock far enough. Something is too snug. Rather than...um...screw it up I'll pay the money and have a pro fit it. I bought a nice walnut stock for the Garand at a show yesterday and it looks unused. Now I know why. It's beautiful but it doesn't fit. Maybe deliberate for custom fit but that's beyond me.
  • Options
    SawzSawz Member Posts: 6,049
    edited November -1
    The Stock maker I knew would get his stocks turned so he had to let them in about an 1/8". (custom fit them) he would use the above blacking/ soot method to see the areas needed to be filed away.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Compare it to the one you have now, if it fits good and note the differences. Slow careful wood removal is key and paying attention to small details is vital. You will get there with a great sense of accomplishment when done! [^][^][^][^][^][^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't have the tools, the talent, or the patience.
  • Options
    M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    Boneblack works better than a sharpie. Inletting can be very aggravating, but every gun owner should try it so they understand the time and effort it takes, and why it is not cheap!