In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ammo storage question,...........

Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
edited June 2016 in General Discussion
Does anyone here bother vacuum sealing ammo for long term storage? I used to quite some time back, but have pretty much burned through that supply and simply store it inside (in original packaging) where it is temp/humidity controlled now.

I have several cases of .223/5.56 and .308/7.62 that is getting a little age on it since I don't shoot as much, and I'm wondering if I should start vacuum packing again. A small amount of my Sellier & Bellot is probably getting close to 10 years old at this point.

Yes, I live in Florida where it's hot and humid this time of year, but I keep my house at 76 degrees or lower, and under 50% humidity. What say you?
"Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner

Comments

• Options
    reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live in Florida as well. I've never vacuum sealed ammo and never had a problem with ammo going bad. Keeping it inside seems to be just fine. I recently shot some ammo I loaded nearly 30 years ago.

That said, I wouldn't recommend keeping it in the garage, or other uncontrolled environment.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,610 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started using the US ammo cans years ago and just toss in one of the small dry packs as good measure . seems to work for me
    I read a article in field and stream or a gun magazine 30 odd years ago and some one had ask about ammo cans
    the reply was that's what they were made for storage and transportation sounded reasonable to me
    I have shot old WWII surplus ammo and who knows how or where it was stored worked fine . JMHO if you want to seal it what could it hurt ??
  • Options
    M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    USGI ammo cans are the way to go. The only ammo that survived hurricane katrina was in ammo cans, at least that is what I read.[:)]

My Dillon 650 loves filling ammo cans!![:)]
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use ammo cans....never a problem..
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    I shot some ammo recently that was manufactured in the 1930's and stored in cardboard boxes since new.

It worked just fine.

As long as you aren't submerging it in camel urine**, you're probably ok in your lifetime.

The military stores millions of rounds of small arms ammo in extremely adverse conditions for years on end with no ill effects. Ammo cans with a seal are a relatively new invention.

** the reason you will hear you should never clean brass with Brasso or any other ammonia based cleaner. Frankly, I haven't seen any ill effects in my tests.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Today I fired around 50 Greek M2 ball that were made in 1965 and stored in original packaging in an ammo can since I bought it from the CMP 10? years ago. All went boom when requested to do so.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I keep all mine stored in original boxes in the basement. Temperature remains a constant 62-65 degrees year round. In late spring I fire up the dehumidifier. I've never had any ammo storage problems this way.
  • Options
    4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
    edited November -1
    My long range storage is vacuum packed, I have sealing gun that uses the barrier paper we used in the Air Force, I figure when the SHTF my ammo is dry, and ready to go.
    The stuff I buy or reload, is rotated so its not like c rats we had in the military.
    But the sealer and vacuum works great, I've even sealed gun, oiled down, vacuum packed, put away till needed. Just like the Air Force, we don't retire, we're just put into extended storage till needed!
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I've recently shot ammo made in 1887 that was stored in cardboard boxes (Yes, 1887). The ammo was flawless.

If you live in a moist climate, some fingernail polish on the primer and case mouth will make it centurian ammo.

If you're really a freak about the stuff, wait until the barometric pressure is above 30.1 inches, then open and close your ammo cans. That removes a lot of moisture.
  • Options
    Missouri Mule K30Missouri Mule K30 Member Posts: 2,092 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ammo Cans, small ,.30 .50 Large 20mm, just make sure that they are
    clean and seal properly.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Never seen a vacuum bag from Foodsaver, Seal A Meal or any other retail source hold a vacuum more than a year, and they are so flimsy that an accidental scrape with a fingernail or cartridge rim turns into a leak.
    Ammo cans aren't called "ammo cans" because they look tactical; it's because they hold & preserve/protect your ammo.
    Heat/humidity and handling are what ammo doesn't like, and lots of any of these 3 things will make your ammo unhappy.
    The top-opening flat ones hold a buncha ammo & can safely be stacked or secreted behind paneling or sheetrock.....
  • Options
    casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I Have some vacuum sealed for several years now and seal is holding fine. Is it necessary, probably not. But can't hurt. I also put them in inexpensive ammo cans thou that is more for sorting and inventory.
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:The top-opening flat ones hold a buncha ammo & can safely be stacked or secreted behind paneling or sheetrock.....Hummm... [;)]
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any ammo can or kept high and dry. Keeps forever.

Think about the old expression "keep your powder dry". Sealed in a cartrige. Good to go ![:o)]
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by retroxler58
    quote:The top-opening flat ones hold a buncha ammo & can safely be stacked or secreted behind paneling or sheetrock.....Hummm... [;)]

2x10 studs. [;)]
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am still shooting 30-06 reloads I loaded in the mid 1980's. It is stored loose in a 30 cal ammo can. Never had a misfire and LOVE the smell of burning 4895. [^][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I ordered 6 new ammo cans from Midway this AM after reading all of the advice.[;)]
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Picked up 12 50cal ammo cans at a gun show last year for $8 each. My Son-in-law talked me out of 3 of them, now I need more of them. I have 12 ga shells over 20 years old stored in some of them that fire like new. The main thing to check is the seal.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nice new cans I got from Midway yesterday. Now to order about 12 more .50s if I can find a good price. The Midway sale is over.
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    I ordered 6 new ammo cans from Midway this AM after reading all of the advice.[;)]

I went out and hammered 73 lbs of wheel weights to the rims of the ole ladies car. Best place to store ammo for the cap & ball pistols you know.
  • Options
    kenlguykenlguy Member Posts: 233
    edited November -1
    I've got a 50 cal can full of 45ACP hardcast loads going on about nine years now. Every now and then I dip a couple handfuls out to plink with and it all shoots like new. When it gets empty, I'll crank up the Dillon 550 and fill it up again.