In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The End of an Era

p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
edited June 2018 in General Discussion
Like going from lithograph to dot matrix.

Like going from oil based paints to polyurethane.

Like going from glass deposit soda bottles to plastic throw aways.

Like going from real handguns to Glocks. [}:)]

The cameras that required skill and a knowledge of light and chemistry are no more.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20180531_25/

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
  • Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep - everything is getting digitalized. No more paper / plastic copies anymore.

What's going to happen when the power grid farts? Or when some camel jockey has the nads to cause an emp?

I'm guilty myself. I've got zero physical pictures of my grandkids.
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by WearyTraveler
    Yep - everything is getting digitalized. No more paper / plastic copies anymore.

What's going to happen when the power grid farts? Or when some camel jockey has the nads to cause an emp?

I'm guilty myself. I've got zero physical pictures of my grandkids

Hope you have digital copies and photo paper prints of your favorites. Digital doesn't just fade and get ragged, when gone, they are gone forever.

Personally keep a hard disk backup (or two) and 8gb sized memory sticks and another that's on 64 gb sticks. Can never have too many.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,389 ******
    edited November -1
    Memories in my head cannot be erased. At least as long as I have a working brain.

After that, it really doesn't matter anyway.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being a ?shutter bug? digital has been a blessing and a curse. Pics are much more simple now but my God I have tons of pics now. I still have my overpriced Canon DSLR and several lenses, with the exception of long distance pics this damn phone takes just as good pics as that $1000 camera body!
  • Options
    ArbyArby Member Posts: 668
    edited November -1
    There are lots of photography techniques with film that you can use to produce unique photos that you cannot do with digital...however, photo shopping works around that to the point where it is difficult to tell the difference between real and fake.

I still have several film cameras left over from an old side business that I haven't used in many years...film and photo processors aren't readily available anymore. Plus "do overs" aren't nearly as expensive with digital as they are with film.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of the best pictures I have ever taken were done with a Pentax K-1000 and black and white film. Playing with the aperature and shutter speed allowed for some interesting effects, and the starkness of an extremely sharp B&W image is something special.

I ended up giving it to a member here a number of years ago. He had a specific need, and it had been gathering dust for probably 20 years at the time.

The minute I pulled it out to box it up, I wanted to take it out and re-learn what fun photography could be.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by droptop

Hope you have digital copies and photo paper prints of your favorites. Digital doesn't just fade and get ragged, when gone, they are gone forever.

Personally keep a hard disk backup (or two) and 8gb sized memory sticks and another that's on 64 gb sticks. Can never have too many.
    Digital may not fade, but there isn't a permanent storage solution for it. I recall a few years back companies were investigating whether digital media and other computer data could be written to ceramic media... basically back to writing on stone tablets.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have some older Kodak cameras. Film is so expensive that they will sit on a shelf till they turn to dust.

Jose.
  • Options
    mag00mag00 Member Posts: 4,719 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus
    Some of the best pictures I have ever taken were done with a Pentax K-1000 and black and white film. Playing with the aperature and shutter speed allowed for some interesting effects, and the starkness of an extremely sharp B&W image is something special.

I ended up giving it to a member here a number of years ago. He had a specific need, and it had been gathering dust for probably 20 years at the time.

The minute I pulled it out to box it up, I wanted to take it out and re-learn what fun photography could be.

Battle tested K-1000. I took mine on many a trip. Back in the day, you really had to compose and think about the shot, not as cheap and fast as digital. Makes my digital pics a bit better than the average joes.

The digital has it's benefits too. HDR is something I am going to investigate further. Can't do that with a film camera. My Panasonic Lumix sits more and more with the phone cameras getting so good.

My go pro goes underwater, no special expensive housing. I have an old sony handicam that just sits, boy that was a hum dinger in the day LOL.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    kodac 102 instamatic....drop in cartridge.

minota srt 101

I don't have the heart to give them to goodwill..........
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bobski
    kodac 102 instamatic....drop in cartridge.

minota srt 101

I don't have the heart to give them to goodwill..........I still have my old Minolta SRT-101 that I bought at the Navy Exchange in the PI during our 72-73 cruise. Great old camera! It's a display item out in my room! [:D]

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Ok - I'm putting my tin foil hat on... all this digital data will disappear if we're ever EMP'd. If some country / entity wanted to * us, that's a quick and easy way to do it. Take a gander at "one second after."
    Ok - I'm taking the foil hat off.
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Ok - I'm putting my tin foil hat on... all this digital data will disappear if we're ever EMP'd. If some country / entity wanted to * us, that's a quick and easy way to do it. Take a gander at "one second after."
    Ok - I'm taking the foil hat off.

I put important things on a cd. It will survive an EMP, and eventually will be readable.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,389 ******
    edited November -1
    My camera needs photo magic flash cubes. Only 4 flashes per cube.

Used to get all I needed from the Photomat store that was in the parking lot of our big grocery store.

Seems like I went to bed one night and when I woke up everything was strangely different!

Signed......Rip Van Winkle [:)]
  • Options
    dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    I have often wondered what will happen when the EMP finally goes BOOM!...I swear, if it was to happen tomorrow 90% of the population who survive would be walking around saying "what's the government going to do to help us?"
    The other 10% would be SURVIVORS!!!!!!!!
    ...SO SCREW THE 90%ERS [}:)]
  • Options
    CKPW1CKPW1 Member Posts: 43
    edited November -1
    One of my photo instructors in collage had scars on his arm from an accident from flash powder. I used to buy 35mm film in bulk rolls of 250 feet. I haven't used film in YEARS! Times change.
    BKW