In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

? for CSA history experts.

CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭
edited April 2014 in General Discussion
I'm not sure is appropriate to ask this ? here but here it goes. Thru business dealings I met a respectable white man of Cuban descent that told me he's great great grand father Cuban born was an officer in the Confederate army and was killed in battle, and that his great great great grand aunt the officers sister also Cuban was married to a high ranking official of the confederacy.
I didn't feel it was appropriate to ask ?'s for more details, could this be true?
his last names are Alvarez Moreno.
We have to fight so we can run away.
Capt. Jack Sparrow.

Comments

• Options
    kristovkristov Member Posts: 6,633
    edited November -1
    Cuba was then a part of Spain and the South made use of many European officers who were willing to join their cause. Just ask and you might get an interesting story.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I would bet that it was a true story. At the start of the conflict world opinion was pretty evenly split between the Union an the CSA, with the major powers leaning to the South. Spain wanted a free hand in Cuba and the French in Mexico and they could expect to get it with Davis but not with Lincoln. Until Abe went for the high ground with the Emancipation Proclamation which left the European powers in the lurch if they continued to support the South and its pro slavery policy (which at the end of the conflict appeared to be dying and slavery ready to be done away with) the CSA probably had more supporters than the Union.
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many Commissioned Hispanic Confederate Officers served during the war.

Watched a documentary on General Pierre Beauregard and it mentioned Colonel Ambrosio Jos? Gonzales several times. He fought during the siege of FT Sumter and was later appointed an aide to the governor of South Carolina.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most family history stories sound a little fishy, especially ones about heroes or the War of Northern Aggression. That doesn't mean his story isn't true. Might be, might not be. Probably even he doesn't know for sure.

People who are reincarnated were always Napoleon, Cesar or Cleopatra in a previous life. Nobody is the reincarnation of John Henry Slingshot, Jr., field hand.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    One of whom was Lt Harry Buford.

Allen
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just talk to someone we know in common and he says it's absolutely true, he will dig up a link on the subject and will send to me later tonight when he gets home.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kristov
    Cuba was then a part of Spain and the South made use of many European officers who were willing to join their cause. Just ask and you might get an interesting story.
    In addition a number of Cubans who were against Spanish rule ended up emigrating here, many to southern states. Quite a few ended up serving in the CSA after the war broke out.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa
    Many Commissioned Hispanic Confederate Officers served during the war.The CSA was very tight with several Central and South American countries.

After the war in which many had lost all land and possessions an estimated 10-20,000 former Confederates emigrated to Brazil where they set up expatriate communities. These confederados' descendants remain proud of their CSA heritage to and still hold annual festivals.

2049398.jpg

Dancing+in+Santa+Barbara.jpg

tumblr_lrvvk4EoW11qai24po1_500.jpg?width=367
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Holly crap it's true, I just got the link and I'm sorry about my comment above will edit that.
    Scroll about 3/4 down the page.

http://www.greyriderfordixienet.com/confederate-military.html
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    http://www.greyriderfordixienet.com/black-confederates.html

That is screwed up, but still interesting.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.