In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The Deer Slayer does it again!!

JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
edited December 2014 in General Discussion
So he let 26 deer go during the youth weekend, including a few decent bucks. He was patient and never dropped the hammer. I was proud of his maturity that weekend.

He watches 10 more go during the day until a 20 minutes before dark, and through the dense undergrowth, I spot the rack. He follows a doe off into oblivion and we agree that it was nice to just see one that nice. Fast forward 5 minutes, and somehow through the thickness, he appears some 40yds ahead, and incoming!!!!. I tell deer slayer to go into full still mode, and tilt his head down forward so as not to make eye contact, while planning his attempt. The buck follows a doe right into us, and I tell the DS to get his rifle on the rail when the buck isn't looking. The buck then works a doe to the left and stops for a few seconds, and I tell DS to "take him", at which point I see the barrel dip down out of my peripheral vision. He hadn't pushed the safety all the way off. Now the buck walks off more into the undergrowth attempting to show his affection for the chosen lady, and it appears the shot is lost. Fortuitously the lady leads him back into a clear window at 25yds, and I ask DS if he has the shot. He says "yeah", and I say "take him in the shoulder, don't bother with a heart shot"......BOOM!!!!! He runs as I watch his progression for a mere few seconds into the distance, and THEN.....the crashing sound. We get down, and 75yds off, in the thickness, we can see a white patch. BINGO!!! the boy does it again[^]

20141129_192038_zpsxajwwo2q.jpg

20141129_192133_zpshbxtymvr.jpg

shame that one side brow tine was broken from fighting since the good side is a double tine. That would have been 10 points instead of 9. I told him that between his deer last year and this one, that those were the only "respectable" bucks I was paying to mount,..and now he needs to step it up into bigger bucks[}:)] I have no doubt he rises to the occasion,....due to the fact that he has a great guide[:D]

I have never has so much fun NOT pulling the trigger as I have the past few seasons.[8][:I]

Comments

• Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cool and job well done and he will never forget the hunt
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    oldrideroldrider Member Posts: 4,934 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good job and good coaching. How old is the deerslayer?
  • Options
    wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats to this fine looking young man. May he harvest many more great bucks.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    Congrats! Great job[8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by oldrider
    Good job and good coaching. How old is the deerslayer?

He is 11 yrs old.[^]

9yrs old
    2 with 1 bullet at 160 lasered yards
    101_0359.jpg

10yrs old, opening day of youth season
    20131116_065433_zps29c408a4.jpg
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Young Daniel Boone! What a little bad *!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    Young Daniel Boone! What a little bad *!

I know, right[;)] he is in his second full year of waterfowl hunting as well. Last year let him shoot at ducks that were "pitching" straight on, but this year he had to shoot them on the fly. he smoked a few on left-to-right and right-to-left passes on Thursday. This was him last year,..with HIS ducks.
    20131128_170208_3_zps5b3abab1.jpg

end of that day,...some of these he contributed to, but who knows the actual finisher with 5 guns in the blind
    20131128_170419_zps6a8bf86b.jpg

prepping him early on
    100_0530-1.jpg
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [8D]

hope to take my boy duck hunting this year

nothing better than taking them hunting[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by danielgage
    [8D]

hope to take my boy duck hunting this year

nothing better than taking them hunting[:)]

you are right!! I am having more fun watching him than doing it myself. When you see your son drop a duck or deer, you know the meaning of "proud".[;)][8D] I only carry my gun for the sake of saying I was "hunting".[:I]
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congratulations!!! [^]
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,038 ******
    edited November -1
    Very nice,congrats.[^][^][^][8D][8D][8D]

But,I don't get this, "take him in the shoulder,don't bother with a heart shot"? Not saying right or wrong,just,why??
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah! [8D]

Jon
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,579 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a Kodak moment for sure and a life time of memories and story telling .
    I hope he gets to take his grand kids hunting and passes on his great stories [;)] some day

bs13690-83559-albums-animated-gifs-pic43401-way-go.gif
  • Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats on raising a new hunter for life.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for sharing and congratulations to both of you!!
    He is going to be one fine hunter!!!
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think he kinda looks like Craig Boddington. He will probably turn out to be a gun writer and hunt all over the world.
  • Options
    topdadtopdad Member Posts: 3,408 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Excellent![:D]
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Out of everyone I ever hunted with or have known to be a hunter, You young man, EARNED this buck. He didn't just harvest it or get lucky, He worked for it and earned it. I am proud of him as a fellow hunter and sportsman. You did good Deer Slayer[;)] Congratulations to both you and your father for instilling good ethics and woodsman ship. Take all this knowledge and pass it on to your son one day. Oakie.
  • Options
    B&G ClingerB&G Clinger Member Posts: 1,789 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Excellent job young man. Way to be patient. He has squeezed more hunting into his few years than me at way more years! Dont get me wrong, I have put absurd amounts of time in to sitting in the stands......we just dont have that many deer around here. I am glad somebody is seeing deer still.
  • Options
    Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did you make him dress it with that old knife I reworked? [:D]

Nice job!
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You two have had some wonderful times together! Congrats to the Deer Slayer again!
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by stubnoid

Nice job!

NO[8D] I still have that reworked knife in my nightstand drawer. Since it was sent back to me in such fine fashion, I have reservations about using it[:I] It was my very first knife, given to me by my grandparents (both passed) for Christmas when I was maybe 9yrs old. I am very thankful for the wonderful job you did in bringing it back to me as it was when I got it.[8][^]

as for the dressing out the deer, I am handling that for now. He has no problems with the process and has been watching closely for quite a while now. One guy gut shot a deer that morning, and I had him stand close by and smell the one thing that can turn people off of deer hunting for forever. Then I took him for breakfast. He had no problems eating and no problems with the foul stench that results from the "gut shot". I have met people in their 50's who have yet to even dress their own deer, and when they gut shot one, they would run away gagging as I was dressing out the mess they made.[V] I will be having him get HIS knife dirty maybe later this season as I am sure he will take another 6 or so deer before we are done.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    Very nice,congrats.[^][^][^][8D][8D][8D]

But,I don't get this, "take him in the shoulder,don't bother with a heart shot"? Not saying right or wrong,just,why??

Joe,not that I need to tell you this but, when standing side to, the heart shot is just behind the shoulder, and the meat is very thin at that point. Also, if you don't hit a rib (maybe,..maybe not) then you have almost zero resistance meeting the bullet, which in turn affects the terminal performance of the projectile. Many times a heart shot results in a clean pass through with little expansion. This in turn allows the deer to run further before expiring. I shot a buck at maybe 15yds with a 7mm rem mag and a 150gr balistic tip right through the heart years ago, and he ran several hundred yards with a piece of his heart laying the field where I shot him. After that, I started running my pills through their shoulders which initiated the expansion of the bullet. Upon dressing the animals, I noticed far larger exit wounds and much more hydrostatic damage to the internal organs as well as almost no distance traveled after impact. I can live without the few pounds of meat that will be lost by going through the shoulders rather than having to track them, in the dark, in a dense wooded area, with the possibility (albeit small, since I have learned a fair amount about tracking them in the woods) of losing the animal. This property has such a dense makeup, that walking in circles in the dark while using lights has happened in the past. Hitting a deer or any other animal (within reason in regards to size) makes for a faster expiration IMHO and less distance traveled after the shot. I told him to take this guy in the shoulder because dark was coming and I wanted to make sure we found his deer quickly.

also, that shoulder shot gets both lungs at the same time[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oakie
    Out of everyone I ever hunted with or have known to be a hunter, You young man, EARNED this buck. He didn't just harvest it or get lucky, He worked for it and earned it. I am proud of him as a fellow hunter and sportsman. You did good Deer Slayer[;)] Congratulations to both you and your father for instilling good ethics and woodsman ship. Take all this knowledge and pass it on to your son one day. Oakie.

John, I made him read your post and digest it for the understanding. You know how they are,...you can tell them something and it doesn't sink in, but when someone else tells the something,..they listen. Thanks for giving him your opinion on the harvest,..he smiled as if he had an epiphany.[8D][;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    I think he kinda looks like Craig Boddington. He will probably turn out to be a gun writer and hunt all over the world.

Dale, I sure hope so,..I have no idea how to afford his and his sister's college[:0] But at least he could take me hunting with him[;)][8D]
  • Options
    Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    quote:Originally posted by stubnoid

Nice job!

NO[8D] I still have that reworked knife in my nightstand drawer. Since it was sent back to me in such fine fashion, I have reservations about using it[:I] It was my very first knife, given to me by my grandparents (both passed) for Christmas when I was maybe 9yrs old. I am very thankful for the wonderful job you did in bringing it back to me as it was when I got it.[8][^]

as for the dressing out the deer, I am handling that for now. He has no problems with the process and has been watching closely for quite a while now. One guy gut shot a deer that morning, and I had him stand close by and smell the one thing that can turn people off of deer hunting for forever. Then I took him for breakfast. He had no problems eating and no problems with the foul stench that results from the "gut shot". I have met people in their 50's who have yet to even dress their own deer, and when they gut shot one, they would run away gagging as I was dressing out the mess they made.[V] I will be having him get HIS knife dirty maybe later this season as I am sure he will take another 6 or so deer before we are done.

I understand, justc giving you some business.

You do have a question on page 1. You really should help.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What rifle is that young sharpshooter using?

I know what you mean about the heart shot. Although, usually a heart shot will take out both lungs, I have had a deer go 130 yards in the thick Ga. woods with his heart blown into hamburger. Unreal.
    Yes, the shoulder shot slams more energy into the deer, and gives the bullet a better chance to expand. I am like you, I don't mind losing a few pounds of shoulder meat in an effort to anchor that deer. That shoulder meat is just slightly better than worthless, a few pounds of hamburger or sausage meat, who cares?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    What rifle is that young sharpshooter using?

I know what you mean about the heart shot. Although, usually a heart shot will take out both lungs, I have had a deer go 130 yards in the thick Ga. woods with his heart blown into hamburger. Unreal.
    Yes, the shoulder shot slams more energy into the deer, and gives the bullet a better chance to expand. I am like you, I don't mind losing a few pounds of shoulder meat in an effort to anchor that deer. That shoulder meat is just slightly better than worthless, a few pounds of hamburger or sausage meat, who cares?

he is using a savage model 11 in 243 that I had bedded in a Boyds laminated stock. The scope is a Burris Fullfield 3x9x40 in PRW rings on Warne bases.

exactly[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah, but what caliber rifle?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    edited ^^^^^^^^
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,038 ******
    edited November -1
    Thanks for replying to my question,JustC. You explained it very well and it makes good sense. I now understand and agree.
    [:)][:)][:)]
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Dale, I sure hope so,..I have no idea how to afford his and his sister's college[:0] But at least he could take me hunting with him[;)][8D]

Start saving 10 years ago.[:(]
  • Options
    edited November -1

Start saving 10 years ago.[:(]

tell me about it[V]
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats to both of yinz!