In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Nimitz Class Carriers next to a French Carrier

11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
edited September 2013 in General Discussion
The French carrier is the Charles du Gaulle. Look at the size difference!

18230150.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Sooeyman2035Sooeyman2035 Member Posts: 3,226
    edited November -1
    They should be sunk according to "Droneman Middle"!
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I didn't realize the Charles de Gaulle was nuclear powered.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GreatGuns
    It's apparently a very well designed ship, albeit smaller than our carriers. Here's a shot of the Enterprise next to the CDG.

That's a great picture of the Big "E." It's a shame they retired her already, but it's great that they're going to build a new one. One of the guys I went to the academy with served as an F18 Super Hornet plane captain on the Enterprise.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our carriers are faster by 10 Knots and carry 2 times the aircraft.

The French carrier CDG is the 1st Nuclear Carrier built by another country.
    RLTW

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OOpps[:D]

Me and Snowden, see ya'll later I am on a flight to Russia[:X]
    RLTW

• Options
    M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    Is the French carrier flying a white flag?[:D]
  • Options
    booter_onebooter_one Member Posts: 2,345
    edited November -1
    [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]quote:Originally posted by M1A762
    Is the French carrier flying a white flag?[:D]
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To be fair, one must never confuse the dedication, professionalism, and skill of the French miltary with that of their national leaders. Totally opposite ends of the spectrum. We are experiencing that ourselves during recent years. [xx(]
  • Options
    the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andrewsw16
    To be fair, one must never confuse the dedication, professionalism, and skill of the French miltary with that of their national leaders. Totally opposite ends of the spectrum. We are experiencing that ourselves during recent years. [xx(]

I dont know about all the dedication, professionalism, and skill....seeing how they have lost every conflict they were in for the last 80 years....other than what the Foreign Legion does, it wins, but then, they arent French either!!!
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    France has about 66 million people. That's like the population of Texas and California getting together to build a navy, an army, an air force, the works. With a nuclear aircraft carrier tossed in. That they can do it is kind of impressive, in terms of scale anyway.

On a larger view European countries should be handling a much greater chunk of the work load instead of leaning on us, still, this many decades after WW2. Europe should have heavy airlift capability, air craft carriers, submarines and everything else. They should be buying it from the USA in repayment for decades of Americans supplying European security.

Not going to happen, but it should.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7
    It's apparently a very well designed ship, albeit smaller than our carriers. Here's a shot of the Enterprise next to the CDG.

That's a great picture of the Big "E." It's a shame they retired her already, but it's great that they're going to build a new one. One of the guys I went to the academy with served as an F18 Super Hornet plane captain on the Enterprise.
    Zulu,did you go to the Naval Academy? When did you graduate?
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    they dont bother folks like we do[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie

I should have been more clear. He was a classmate of mine at the police academy I attended last year.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is the part where you say size doesn't matter.[;)]
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie

I should have been more clear. He was a classmate of mine at the police academy I attended last year.
    OK, the way it was worded it made me think otherwise,sorry..
  • Options
    CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shouldn't be to hard to sink once it starts collaborating[:D][:D]
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.