In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question for electricians?

11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
edited September 2013 in General Discussion
There is a light fixture in the entry way of the duplex I live in that keeps frying light bulbs. To date, it has fried 3 CFLs and 1 incandescent, while CFLs that were purchased at the same time as the 3 that got roasted are still working (including one in the other light fixture in the entry way).

The incandescent bulb just went out in the last 48 hours, but has been in for less than 2 or 3 months.

When this fixture fried the first CFL, it also melted part of the plastic electronics housing of the bulb.

What could be causing what I can only assume is an over-voltage? How can I diagnose this problem? Should I diagnose it, or should I just call the landlord to say, "There's something wrong with the light."?

Comments

• Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't mess with it, it's the landlords responsibility.
    Should you decide to fool with it and cause a fire, it's your responsibility.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    The problem is most likely due to a loose connection between the bulb and the contacts in the fixture. When the connection isn't gas-tight things tend to get hotter than design tolerances allow.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Sounds like floating ground or other wiring Problem . Contact landlord and Have ECOS testing done . May save a FIRE from developing
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'll give him a call this evening.
  • Options
    nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    loose ground or bad fixture. Either way if your the rentee I wouldnt be dicking with it, call the landlord and stop using the light if possible
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nards444
    loose ground or bad fixture. Either way if your the rentee I wouldnt be dicking with it, call the landlord and stop using the light if possible

The only way to stop using it is to take the bulb out. There's no switch that I know of, and I don't know where the breaker for the circuit is.
  • Options
    booter_onebooter_one Member Posts: 2,345
    edited November -1
    With that statement, it is definitely a landlord issue!quote:Originally posted by Zulu7

The only way to stop using it is to take the bulb out. There's no switch that I know of, and I don't know where the breaker for the circuit is.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by booter_one
    With that statement, it is definitely a landlord issue!quote:Originally posted by Zulu7

+1000
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When the electrician comes by, have him show you where the breakers are and mark them for which rooms/outlets they control. You may need this knowledge for safety reasons some day. [:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andrewsw16
    When the electrician comes by, have him show you where the breakers are and mark them for which rooms/outlets they control. You may need this knowledge for safety reasons some day. [:)]

I know the breakers for it are not in my part of the duplex. They might be in the downstairs apartment, but I don't have access to that box.

This is what the house looks like from the street. The light fixtures in question are just inside the front door. It's a shared entry way, with stairs leading to both upper and lower apartments.

11-0308002.jpg
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,707 ******
    edited November -1
    You have a ground problem. See it all the time.
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    With that statement, it is definitely a landlord issue!

it never wasnt a landlord issue...
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Have him plow while he's out there.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe the snow drifts have caused a short>>>
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Did no one notice the date stamp on that picture? It was taken in March, 2011.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7

And you still haven't picked up you newspapers?

You are a slacker of the highest order.[V]
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigoutside

[:D][:D][:D]

I have tears from laughing...I had to read that to my wife...
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,067 ******
    edited November -1
    ....that place sure has a lot of electrical problems,,[:0][:0][:0],,
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cce1302
    quote:Originally posted by bigoutside

[:D][:D][:D]

I have tears from laughing...I had to read that to my wife...

Clay, I think I sent you an email... intended to. But my screen went woggly. So I'm not sure if it went.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    ....that place sure has a lot of electrical problems,,[:0][:0][:0],,

You're telling me... If it were my property, I'd be stripping the electrical system and completely re-doing it. There's one outlet in the living room that if you unplug or plug something in, it causes one of the other outlets on the other side of the room to shut off momentarily.
  • Options
    the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    The problems you describe sound like its wired with aluminum wire....lots of houses were built with it back in the 70's....and lots burned down because of it...

AL wire does wired things like that, because it expends and contracts so much more than copper, it comes loose at conections often, unless no-lox was used on every connection and splice, which isnt likely.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,043 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

And how
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Replace the switch. Check the wire connections on fixture & breaker box(breaker screw & bus bar/s). If it does it after that replace the breaker.

If the light switch is old it may be arcing.
  • Options
    booter_onebooter_one Member Posts: 2,345
    edited November -1
    This thread now has flames, is the house next?[:p]