In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need your opinions?

NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
edited October 2014 in General Discussion
My nephew is old enough and safe enough to take him deer hunting and set him down by himself, and I'll move on to my stand. Now over at the property I own we see black bears often. I was going to let him hunt with a .270, but he would rather hunt with a 30-30. I've been thinking what if a bear does come around him with bad intentions. Is the 30-30 enough gun to put down a black bear before or while it charges? In a way I wish he would hunt in one of my stands, but he wont. So would the 30-30 take down a angry bear? BTW I know shot placement is everything.

Comments

• Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Let him use the 30-30 in the stand.

I would rather use a lever action 30-30 when encountering a bear in the woods than a bolt action anything. And a semi auto centerfire anything would be preferable to either. But that's me.

If he won't follow your instruction, then your assessment that he is mature enough to hunt with you may be incorrect.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigoutside
    Let him use the 30-30 in the stand.

I would rather use a lever action 30-30 when encountering a bear in the woods than a bolt action anything. And a semi auto centerfire anything would be preferable to either. But that's me.

If he won't follow your instruction, then your assessment that he is mature enough to hunt with you may be incorrect.

I could not say anything different period. Great advice.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could let him hunt out to 100 yd with a deer slug .
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,383 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    A 30-30 is just fine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He wont hunt out of a stand, he's afraid of heights(Don't tell no one}[:I]. I wouldn't make him hunt in a stand, So he's sitting on the ground.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's best for him to use what he's comfortable with.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I would think unless he has some
    experience under his belt with
    charging bears ,it would be an iffy
    thing in a situation like that.
    No matter who or what the age.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You got a better chance of getting struck by lightning. Let the kid use what he wants.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    rong Posted - 09/30/2014 : 6:14:48 PM
    I would think unless he has some
    experience under his belt with
    charging bears ,it would be an iffy
    thing in a situation like that.
    No matter who or what the age.

Ive been thinking the same thing...
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,035 ******
    edited November -1
    a side arm and/or can of bear spray also,,
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Black bear charging a human? I guess, but only slightly less rare than a lightning storm on the moon. And why would anyone provoke a black bear anyway? Bearskin rugs always look better on a bear than on the floor in my opinion.

And if the young man were to actually encounter a really mad bear? My question would primarily have to do with his ability to stay cool and think. Usually using and controlling one's brain is most important in life or death situations.

Firearm caliber? A well handled .223 would be far superior to a poorly handled 45-70. I'm not saying that a .223 would be my first choice you understand. I am saying, though, that a .223 or two in the boiler room would be far more effective than a non-fatal wound made by a heavier weapon.

Truthfully I'd be much more worried about an encounter with a wounded deer. Usually deer are anything but aggressive but this sometimes changes with the rut and can infrequently be compounded by being wounded. A deer with a get even attitude is nothing to take lightly.

All in all I have the distinct feeling that you might be over-thinking the possibilities. Hunting big game always involves risk. A good hunter minimizes his risk not by opting for a larger caliber than needed but by his actions before the trigger is pulled. Your nephew will do just fine methinks.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Only 1 answer.. he should use whatever is safest for him to handle. Period.

Don't know how old he is, but I prefer a rifle with a visible hammer for youngsters. They don't go off unless you want them to.

Forget about the bear.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well he's 17yrs old, but kids don't mature these days like we did at their age. And one of our own GunBroker members give him his first cricket .22LR and that members name is Jacob. So he actually started him off on guns.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,317 ******
    edited November -1
    30-30 has taken many black bears and bigger over the years. Frankly, I'm not sure when some of these types of calibers got to be inadequate for game that people in past days had used with much success. Maybe the animals are getting into steroids that I don't know about? Could be.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,458 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just about any hunter you talk to around here will say nearly every deer they've taken, they could have done it with a 30/30. Three of my sons took their first deer with a big bore 94. The only issue I'd be concerned with is, if it's a model 94, getting the hammer in and out of position especially with gloves on. My wife's 6 brothers didn't let their sons start with lever actions for that reason.