In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What's Past is Prologue Part Zwei

p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
edited April 2016 in General Discussion
He wasn't my first choice, but it's like 1933 all over again and I'm marveling at being swept up in the momentum.
I can fully understand now how the combination of love of country, fear of being overrun by barbarians, and an internal breakdown of law and order can create the ideal conditions for the rise of a fuhrer.
It is amazing to me, it's like going back in time and watching the event unfold before my eyes. I wouldn't mind joining the Frei Korps.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about and also see the echos?

Bill O'Reilly has encapulated the emotion in this essay.

http://www.billoreilly.com/b/Why-the-Voters-Are-Propelling-Donald-Trump/-766523065314257621.html

ADDENDUM:

I want to further add that even Churchill lauded the recovery Germany made under Hitler after the damned Treaty of Versaille had crippled it in 1919. Had Htlers' meglomania been kept under control, Germany today would probably be the preeminent country of the world.

Comments

• Options
    1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see it too. In my "brief" 55 years, I've never feared for my country's future as much as I do now.
  • Options
    NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    trump is the new Hitler[:(]
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NOAH
    trump is the new Hitler[:(]

I am not a Trump fan, don't really think he is the answer to the question, and am not convinced he is a conservative.

That said, comparing him to Uncle Adolf is somewhere far north of silly.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well I'm glad two people know history well enough to see the similarities in Trumps rise to power.

30-40 I don't think anyone here is calling Trump Hitler. Hell, he's never been in Landsburg Prison or written a Mein Kampf. He doesn't have a morbid fixation on the Jews or anyone else I can discern.

If you knew history better and were able to insinuate yourself into the era, you could understand the crux of this post.
    It appears many can't.

We are riding a whirlwind and are a part of history in the making. Hitler was damaged by his lean postwar years in Vienna and not having the benefit of a father.
    Trump suffered no such disabilities and has the training to put us on a pay-as-you-go footing. Unlike Hitler and Germany, we have all the Lebensraum we need so Mexico and Canada are safe.

The only drawback of knowing history is that I fear some misguided do-gooder wanting "to save the world" will try to do Trump harm.
    Let's hope not.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    Well I'm glad two people know history well enough to see the similarities in Trumps rise to power.

30-40 I don't think anyone here is calling Trump Hitler. Hell, he's never been in Landsburg Prison or written a Mein Kampf. He doesn't have a morbid fixation on the Jews or anyone else I can discern.

If you knew history better and were able to insinuate yourself into the era, you could understand the crux of this post.
    It appears many can't.

We are riding a whirlwind and are a part of history in the making. Hitler was damaged by his lean postwar years in Vienna and not having the benefit of a father.
    Trump suffered no such disabilities and has the training to put us on a pay-as-you-go footing. Unlike Hitler and Germany, we have all the Lebensraum we need so Mexico and Canada are safe.

The only drawback of knowing history is that I fear some misguided do-gooder wanting "to save the world" will try to do Trump harm.
    Let's hope not.
    he using Goebbles tactics..!and its working!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    using Goebbles tactics..!and its working!

I agree somewhat Paul. He's not telling outright lies, but he does concentrate on the same point over and over. That might have more to do with American attention spans than malice.
    His oratory skills are not nearly as good as Hitler's though.
    If you've ever heard Hitler's speeches, even if you don't speak German, they flow with hills and valleys like a Wagnerian opera.
    Trump is competent giving a speech, but not rousing enough to bring your out of your chair like Hitler.
  • Options
    edited November -1

It appears many can't.

Let's hope not.

When Noah says "Trump is the new Hitler", exactly what does that mean in your exquisitely educated mind, if not someone "calling Trump Hitler"?

A tortured superficial stretch is about as good a ranking as I can give your comparison. It seems that any time a charismatic persona enters the world stage, it is only a matter of time until someone reaches into history for Adolf and the 3rd Reich.

The absence of the influences that came from WWI, the Treaty of Versailles, the moods of the German people that flowed from those all fall away...and what remains is a tired, overused, and shallow similarity. A case could be made that Peron, or even de Gaulle might be a more apt comparison, or any number of other political personalities from history.

But when the fun starts, Uncle Adolf is usually the choice of the mundane.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dads3040

It appears many can't.

Let's hope not.

When Noah says "Trump is the new Hitler", exactly what does that mean in your exquisitely educated mind, if not someone "calling Trump Hitler"?

A tortured superficial stretch is about as good a ranking as I can give your comparison. It seems that any time a charismatic persona enters the world stage, it is only a matter of time until someone reaches into history for Adolf and the 3rd Reich.

The absence of the influences that came from WWI, the Treaty of Versailles, the moods of the German people that flowed from those all fall away...and what remains is a tired, overused, and shallow similarity. A case could be made that Peron, or even de Gaulle might be a more apt comparison, or any number of other political personalities from history.

My "exquisitely educated mind" must really intimidate the hell out of you.
  • Options
    edited November -1

It appears many can't.

Let's hope not.

My "exquisitely educated mind" must really intimidate the hell out of you.

When you confidently make statements as obviously wrong as you did? Not hardly.

When you find yourself trying to prove you are the smartest person in the room...you aren't. A valuable lesson I have no confidence you will learn.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

When you find yourself trying to prove you are the smartest person in the room...you aren't. A valuable lesson I have no confidence you will learn.

Glad I try to hide any resemblance of any type of smarts and just play to forum idiot [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Big Sky Redneck

Glad I try to hide any resemblance of any type of smarts and just play to forum idiot [:D]

That's a great shame in this country that being intelligent is scorned by the greater numbers of the not so intelligent.
    Several threads recently have mocked the younger generation, especially the millennials, for being stupid. Some members have even posted that their kids are liberals and don't understand why?

The reason is obvious. Parents didn't teach their kids because they didn't know themselves. They blame the schools, but the schools only stepped in to fill the void. Parents have far more influence on the upbringing in the early years than anyone else.

You would think in the age of computers, the greatest learning invention since the Gutenberg press, people would be more learned. Just the opposite is the case. Digging and researching is not required and much informaiton available is frequently in error. However, without a basic knowledge already in place, the bogus information is consummed and propagated.

The country is being dumbed down to the point where being stupid is a badge of honor. It didn't begin with Ferguson rioters, the Millennials, or even the generation before. It began with the Boomers.

Sorry 30/40 I won't dumb down for you. You're either going to have to get smarter, or stand at the window hungry and look in.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Big Sky Redneck

That's a great shame in this country that being intelligent is scorned by the greater numbers of the not so intelligent.
    Several threads recently have mocked the younger generation, especially the millennials, for being stupid. Some members have even posted that their kids are liberals and don't understand why?

The reason is obvious. Parents didn't teach their kids because they didn't know themselves. They blame the schools, but the schools only stepped in to fill the void. Parents have far more influence on the upbringing in the early years than anyone else.

You would think in the age of computers, the greatest learning invention since the Gutenberg press, people would be more learned. Just the opposite is the case. Digging and researching is not required and much informaiton available is frequently in error. However, without a basic knowledge already in place, the bogus information is consummed and propagated.

The country is being dumbed down to the point where being stupid is a badge of honor. It didn't begin with Ferguson rioters, the Millennials, or even the generation before. It began with the Boomers.

Sorry 30/40 I won't dumb down for you. You're either going to have to get smarter, or stand at the window hungry and look in.

If that is what you take from that exchange, you stand little chance of catching up. Discussing issues with you appears to be much like playing chess with a pigeon.

Please return to your previous deep evaluation of the political situation in this country as it compares to Germany at the end of the Weimar period, and before the takeover of the Imperial Senate by Emporer Palpatine and Lord Vader.

Then knock over the pieces, crap all over...and declare victory.