In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

More small engine issues

wvhuntwvhunt Member Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2014 in General Discussion
Have a 16 inch poulan pro chainsaw and I get it to fire up and idle without issue but as soon as I open the throttle to cut it bogs down RPMs up and down and eventually acts like it chokes out. I've ran seafoam through gas and used seafoam deep creep through carb. What can I look at next?

Also I think my father tried to run straight gas through it at some point however it runs and idles fine with no odd effects.

Comments

• Options
    Indian Creek 1Indian Creek 1 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try adjusting the needle valve on the carb
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    You have High speed jet that is partly closed up but All the problems are in the Carb. Each Carb has an Idle jet as well as High speed jet To make the transition work better I adjust the Idle on the rich side this will help to keep from the the engine from Bogging when you open throttle My suggestion you Remove one adjusting screw at a time and with Spray Carb cleaner with the small straw blow some cleaner in the screw hole then install screw gently turn in until it bottoms in jet then turn 2 full turns ccw I would do the High speed screw first the one marked on the carb. H and leave the Idle Screw MARKED L as it is If the saw will start and run at Idle. If you have never had a Saw Carb apart you may need help the small needle and seat as well as fuel pump may need rebuilding also a small fuel Screen may be clogged with Corn gunk [V]
    edit Yes Les in WVA is correct the newer engines have those damn screws that need special tools . We stopped selling ECHO when they went to the double D screw drivers. Mechanic can get fined even lending someone the damn tool.Who thinks up this crap.
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Start with...

HI speed screw = Needs adjusted. Unless you want to fork over the cash and order a Spline carb tool and wait for it to arrive to adjust it. Take it to a local dealer and he should be able to do it for a few bucks on the spot if he is not to busy. Dealers are not allowed to sell any carb adjusting tools for small engines. So no need to even ask them for one.

I have a complete set of Carb tuning wrenches (D, Double D, Splined, Pac-Man) and two or three others that fit just about every type of small engine made. I got them years ago before they became "outlawed" for less than $25. Now a single wrench can run you around $30.

!Bg0v80gCGk~$%28KGrHqQOKiYErzLE%29F!BLGwbTUirQ~~_1_6887_1.JPG

Next remove the exhaust/muffler and check for dobber nest or carbon build up in the exhaust port. If you find it plugged. Remove the plug, rotate the crank until the piston is at TDC. Then carefully pick the carbon or mud out of the port without scratching the piston. Piston up keeps the gunk from falling back inside of the engine.
  • Options
    wvhuntwvhunt Member Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, I'm in the process of moving but I'll give these a try.
  • Options
    monticellotdmmonticellotdm Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Poulans have a plastic housing that the carb screws on to. The screws that hold this in place vibrate lose all the time and allow for air to enter behing the carb...

take the carb off... remove the housing screw and apply some locktite and retighten.... replace the carb and you will be fine..

takes about 30 minutes...
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One other thing to check is whether it has a plugged spark arrestor screen. All these newer 2 cycles have a screen on the muffler, and over time it can get clogged with the carbon from the exhaust. Pull the screen, hit it with a torch, and burn of the carbon.

If the machine happens to be a Ryobi string trimmer, take the entire muffler off, set it in an old metal pie plate with a bit of diesel, place it in an open area, and set it all on fire.

It will burn all the crap out from the inside of the muffler, and you won't have to keep cussing at the #%@* thing because it won't run right.

Do not ask me how I know this. [}:)]