In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.22 "conspiracy"

Missouri Mule K30Missouri Mule K30 Member Posts: 2,092 ✭✭
edited February 2014 in General Discussion
There I said it....[:0][8][}:)][:(][:(!][xx(] Who will join me!

Comments

• Options
    NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    [:0]CATCH 22[:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will give a .22 Walmart report here in a couple hours!!
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    This seller has 93,827 rounds for sale. That is one seller out of many.
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=389998648

Here's some more:

26 auctions for .22 Short listed under "Rifle Ammo":
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Rifle-Ammunition/BI.aspx?ca=5000013

3 auctions for .22 Short listed under "Pistol Ammo":
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Pistol-Ammunition/BI.aspx?ca=5000013

1219 auctions for .22 LR listed under "Rifle Ammo":
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Rifle-Ammunition/BI.aspx?ca=5000011

96 auctions for .22 LR listed under "Pistol Ammo":
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Pistol-Ammunition/BI.aspx?ca=5000011

53 auctions for .22 Magnum listed under "Rifle Ammo":
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Rifle-Ammunition/BI.aspx?ca=5000012

15 auctions for .22 Magnum listed under "Pistol Ammo":
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Pistol-Ammunition/BI.aspx?ca=5000012

139 auctions for .22 WMR listed under "Rifle Ammo":
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Rifle-Ammunition/BI.aspx?ca=5000014

18 auctions for .22 WMR listed under "Pistol Ammo":
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Pistol-Ammunition/BI.aspx?ca=5000014

Ammo Search Engines:
    http://gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22lr/
    http://armsbot.com/
    http://www.wikiarms.com/

There is no shortage of .22 ammo. Nor is the government buying it up. We are buying it up, and holding on to it. Tens of millions of panic buyers, newbies to the shoot'n sports, hoarders, gougers, Fraidy Cats, profiteers, wussies, dim wits and danged smart shoppers scoring deals are leaving the normal calm and limited funds buyers with the short end of the stick.

Over two years ago I was at a Crossroads of the West gun show at the Arizona State Fairgrounds. One of the biggest, the largest each year in Arizona anyway. There was one seller there, in this case had only .223/5.56 ammo in zip-lock bags. Mixed brands, but all standard 55gr FMJ. They had sealed white plastic 5 gallon buckets of it.

Over 100,000 Rounds!

Their story was they bought out a Prepper. The guy had all these buckets in the back of his garage. He'd prepared them to bury in his backyard. You know, "Just in case".

That's just one Prepper and one caliber and it was well before the worst of the panic.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,987 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NOAH
    [:0]CATCH 22[:D][:D][:D]
    [:D]
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ChrisinTempe- Again, for the 100th time, yes, panic buying all over the place. BUT dealers are still mostly saying they aren't getting the same amounts they did in the past. The shortage is due to more than panic buying, There is a supply shortage as well. I have no explanation but most dealers insist they don't get what they used to get. Either the ammo makers are lying when they say they are running at 100% or the supplies are being siphoned off somewhere along the line. Maybe some is being diverted to black market sellers?
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [8]
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    legearlegear Member Posts: 6,716
    edited November -1
    Local supply is up for my area.
    I got 1500+ rounds last week over 3 trips.
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We can only hope the big boys stashing 22lr will get burnt when the crisis is over.[}:)]
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doc
    ChrisinTempe- Again, for the 100th time, yes, panic buying all over the place. BUT dealers are still mostly saying they aren't getting the same amounts they did in the past. The shortage is due to more than panic buying, There is a supply shortage as well. I have no explanation but most dealers insist they don't get what they used to get. Either the ammo makers are lying when they say they are running at 100% or the supplies are being siphoned off somewhere along the line. Maybe some is being diverted to black market sellers?

Doc, it would not make sense for stores to be receiving their old supply patterns under these conditions. It would be truly odd if they were.

Capitalism at work, just as it should be. Pretty straight forward market forces at play. Demand exploded, massively. Manufacturers run factories at capacity, 24/7. At first they were not about to invest millions of dollars and months of effort in new equipment, factory expansions and training new workers on what may prove to be a temporary change in the market. Some are now doing so, and that is a very real gamble.

Because of the buying explosion, manufacturers cannot ship as they once did. With the entire country suddenly sold out by tens of millions of people buying in large quantity, refilling shelves that once collected dust on the ammo boxes is not possible. Shipments that once filled shelves for weeks or longer now last hours, or less. Buyers who went for a couple of 50 round boxes now seize upon everything they are allowed to buy at once.

So manufacturers must prioritize shipments, limit quantities per shipment. Set minimum periods between shipments. They are trying to refill an entire nation of shelves emptied overnight by a massive panicked buying population of millions of people. That is simply not possible without an equally massive explosion in manufacturing capacity, it isn't going to happen.

Tens of millions of people suddenly changing buying habits, or being added newly to the market, upsets every apple cart, overwhelms every system of supply.

The only force that can turn this around is for the buying public to calm down, chill out and get over it.

Although, I will say that breaking the USPS restriction on shipping ammo would go a long way. Right now it makes little sense to buy ammo online in small quantity. The shipping cost is nuts. So mostly large quantities sell online, limiting the availability to buyers who cannot afford or have no desire for big piles of ammo.

If ammo could LEGALLY go in a small Priority Mail Flat Rate Box, suddenly smaller quantities per purchase could make sense.

Could help, but it's a Congress thing, so not likely.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    I will give a .22 Walmart report here in a couple hours!!

I hit two local Walmarts...nothing in .22...one of them got 60 100 rd boxes of mini mags yesterday.
  • Options
    chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ChrisInTempe has some compelling points, the best of which is;

"Tens of millions of people suddenly changing buying habits, or being added newly to the market, upsets every apple cart, overwhelms every system of supply.

The only force that can turn this around is for the buying public to calm down, chill out and get over it."

However, it may not end...

The biggest problem out there is conspiracy and FEAR.

People are afraid that supplies aren't going to slow up, but disappear entirely. They are buying enough to last a lifetime, in case they can't get anymore.

Mistrust in our government, and a growing population spoon fed anti-constitution propaganda from any number of self-serving factions.

Look what happened to the cigarette industry for example. Heavy taxation paying for more and more anti smoking ads on TV.
    Apply that same scenario to the ammunition industry and you can see our future in the shooting sports.
  • Options
    CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope I`m wrong, I believe that starting with 22 rf a lot of calibers will disappear from the market do to very strong political forces at play, very simple really, every year millions of spoon fed liberals turn of voting age.
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ChrisInTempe makes a valid analysis on some of the reasons for the "shortage". I also think that a lot of the .22 threads have also touched on different reasons for it. But I am now convinced that there are several "investor, equity groups" that are warehousing large amounts of .22 RF ammunition. Like different commodities in the market place the price can be manipulated. It does happen I believe, if you cant believe that it does not happen then I guess you also think that the stock market cannot be altered by several players on a stock. Ammunition is not like bread or butter where it has a daily effect on people, and would be scrutinized for a dramatic change. .22 caliber ammo is probably the most used and produced caliber that there is, and also the most easy to manipulate. The reason I have this paranoia is that a trucker friend has picked up loads of .22 and delivered to large warehouse to which nothing ever leaves to his knowledge. Maybe I would like to just see every caliber return to "normal".
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dealer for 24+ years and we are hardly seeing any 22 ammo at all rom our distributors.. If we do see it it is 1-5 bricks at a time in an order that is it ..
  • Options
    CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Missouri Mule K30
    ChrisInTempe makes a valid analysis on some of the reasons for the "shortage". I also think that a lot of the .22 threads have also touched on different reasons for it. But I am now convinced that there are several "investor, equity groups" that are warehousing large amounts of .22 RF ammunition. Like different commodities in the market place the price can be manipulated. It does happen I believe, if you cant believe that it does not happen then I guess you also think that the stock market cannot be altered by several players on a stock. Ammunition is not like bread or butter where it has a daily effect on people, and would be scrutinized for a dramatic change. .22 caliber ammo is probably the most used and produced caliber that there is, and also the most easy to manipulate. The reason I have this paranoia is that a trucker friend has picked up loads of .22 and delivered to large warehouse to which nothing ever leaves to his knowledge. Maybe I would like to just see every caliber return to "normal".

If the warehouse is within 5 miles of the border, Holder probably have a tunnel to old Mejico[:(]
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Now it is at your local sporting goods. Seems like everybody is involved.[xx(]
  • Options
    edited November -1