In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Related to Floridians drowning

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2018 in General Discussion
Great Lakes will kill you due to hypothermia!!!!!!!

As a heat wave builds in the central and eastern United States late this week and into the first week of July, many residents of the Great Lakes region might be tempted to go for a swim to cool off.

But you should reconsider taking a dip in any of the Great Lakes because water temperatures are still dangerously cold.

The U.S. Coast Guard warned water temperatures below 77 degrees can quickly lead to hypothermia for a person who falls off a boat, according to the Associated Press. All five of the lakes are well below that temperature.
Lake Ontario was 63 degrees off the coast of Rochester, New York, Wednesday morning, while Lake Erie was 65 degrees off the coast of Buffalo, according to the National Weather Service. The average Lake Erie temperature for June 27 is 66 degrees at the Buffalo Water Treatment Plant, so this year is running very close to average. Lake Ontario's temperature is also near-average.

If that doesn't seem cold, maybe this will: most of Lake Huron remains in the 50s, with some parts of the lake only around 40 degrees. Southwestern and northwestern portions of Lake Huron are in the low- to mid-60s, however. The lake-wide average surface temperature is about 58 degrees, a map from NOAA's Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory (GLERL) showed. That's below the average water temperature for late June.

Lake Michigan is also mainly in the 50s, though southern portions of the lake have warmed into the 60s, according to GLERL. Green Bay is actually around 70 degrees, but the lake-wide average surface temperature is in the low-60s. These water temperatures are near-average for late June.

The coldest of the Great Lakes is Lake Superior. With the exception of the southern shore, which is in the mid-50s, the rest of the lake is only in the 30s and 40s. The lake-wide average surface temperature is a chilly 49 degrees, a GLERL map showed. That's below-average for this time of year.

Comments

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,350 ******
    edited November -1
    Lake Superior is great for keeping your beers cold and your fresh caught fish chilled![:D]

Used to swim it as a boy diving for agates. My mom made me come in when I started turning blue!
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best time to swim in the Great Lakes (Excluding Superior) is September or early October.

I've been waist deep in Lk Huron during an October duck hunt. The water was far warmer than the air.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure of the temps but sliding rock even in July is cold to me :)
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live close to Lake Superior we go swimming when it is hot out not when the water is warm.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Wonder what they would think of the McKenzie river. Now that is cold even in summer.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    Wonder what they would think of the McKenzie river. Now that is cold even in summer.

Fly fished the McKenzie years ago. Caught some nice trout but damn was it cold!!!
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Odds are some city dweller will drown in the Atlantic here this w'e too.