In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Our Enemies Are Our Best Friends

p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
edited August 2018 in General Discussion
I've told people that our allies during WWII didn't really like us. The saying about GI's in England was they were "Over fed, over paid, and over here". The French were snobs, the Russians didn't trust us, and everyone else was jealous and saw the US as a drunk sailor on payday.[:p]

This is one of the most interesting stories I've read all year. Realize who wrote it and ask yourself how often do we read stories in the paper about Lafayette. To this day MacArthur is probably the most revered roundeye ever in Japan.

I had never heard of this story until now.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/nhknewsline/backstories/housesofpeace/

Comments

• Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that's a really cool story. I still don't agree with the whole conscientious objection thing during WW2, however I do think it was a cool thing to do to try and mend and heal wounds for some people.

To this day, the fact that we were able, willing, and did use Nuclear weapons to end that war is I still think one of the most peaceful things we could have done for us and them....otherwise many many more may have died, on both sides.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    were only liked when back up is needed[}:)]
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,116 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Y'alls should watch "Emperor" MacArthur played by Tommy Lee Jones.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2103264/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_11
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    local here was a coast watcher on the Pacific islands in WW2 and to the day he died hated the Japanese...told me they tried REAL HARD to KILL him several times... two fellows worked together at a local small town business ...one had been a CO and another island hopped across the Pacific driving the Japanese back towards the homeland....another fellow married a Japanese gal he met during the occupation and they lived back here after his time was up..she was one of the nicest people you could ever meet...what a contrast in a small community
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most especially when they are warding off the BLM/ANTIFA Skunks, and certainly those who support their violent anti-American rallies
    What's next?
  • Options
    minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by p3skyking
    I've told people that our allies during WWII didn't really like us. The saying about GI's in England was they were "Over fed, over paid, and over here". The French were snobs, the Russians didn't trust us, and everyone else was jealous and saw the US as a drunk sailor on payday.[:p]
    [[:o)]/quote]
    Jealousy
    Cause the Americans had all the Chocolate (and nylons) [;)]

(my uncle swore a French gal would take a bath for a Hershey bar). [:D]
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah but if the Russians weren't taking the greatest losses on the Eastern front and killing a s***load of nazis, we would have been pushed back into the Channel.

"The Russians didn't trust us"
    I don't trust us now.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    after we won back france for the second time for them...DeGaulle marched into Pair. assumed control and snubbed the AMERICAN VICTORS big time....he had lots of de gaul