In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

SCOTUS Pick

Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
edited February 2017 in General Discussion
Neil Gorsuch. I like him the best of the three finalists that were under review.

Comments

• Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hope this guy is ready to have everything he has ever said, done, or thought aired in public.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    QUOTE:
    That Judge Gorsuch#146;s judicial philosophy is similar to Justice Scalia's is evident from a tribute the former gave after the latter's death. In that tribute, Gorsuch summarized and endorsed Scalia's method of legal interpretation:

Judges should instead strive (if humanly and so imperfectly) to apply the law as it is, focusing backward, not forward, and looking to text, structure, and history to decide what a reasonable reader at the time of the events in question would have understood the law to be - not to decide cases based on their own moral convictions or the policy consequences they believe might serve society best. As Justice Scalia put it, "if you're going to be a good and faithful judge, you have to resign yourself to the fact that you're not always going to like the conclusions you reach. If you like them all the time, you're probably doing something wrong."

An originalist, a textualist, and it appears he is considered one of the best writers on the federal bench. Not a bad way to go.

I did enjoy hearing one of the Ds say that Trump's nominee would have to show an ability to match the intellectual rigor of those SCOTUS justices nominated by Clinton and Obama. Go look at the nominees of those two. Then giggle.
  • kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dads3040
    QUOTE:
    That Judge Gorsuch#146;s judicial philosophy is similar to Justice Scalia's is evident from a tribute the former gave after the latter's death. In that tribute, Gorsuch summarized and endorsed Scalia's method of legal interpretation:

Judges should instead strive (if humanly and so imperfectly) to apply the law as it is, focusing backward, not forward, and looking to text, structure, and history to decide what a reasonable reader at the time of the events in question would have understood the law to be - not to decide cases based on their own moral convictions or the policy consequences they believe might serve society best. As Justice Scalia put it, "if you're going to be a good and faithful judge, you have to resign yourself to the fact that you're not always going to like the conclusions you reach. If you like them all the time, you're probably doing something wrong."

An originalist, a textualist, and it appears he is considered one of the best writers on the federal bench. Not a bad way to go.

I did enjoy hearing one of the Ds say that Trump's nominee would have to show an ability to match the intellectual rigor of those SCOTUS justices nominated by Clinton and Obama. Go look at the nominees of those two. Then giggle.

That seems to be a pretty correct form to interpret the laws from my point of view...of course I'm not student of the law.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dads3040
    QUOTE:

LMAO,...[:D]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fascinating a judge can be called "the Hobby Lobby Judge" and evangelicals will support him. And know exactly what you mean.
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The DEMOCRAT media is livid, so he must be good.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With what I know now he looks like a good choice.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It matters not who Trump nominates. Unless the nominee supports the whole sale slaughter of babies funded by the government, or pedophilia then he/she/it will be considered out of the mainstream by the left. When the left says they will block the nominee before one is even announced, simply because they feel they can then this is all a waste of time. If Mitch the * doesn't have the cojones to cram this down their throats then the next four years will be wasted.
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He is a kitty & puppy killer who supports
    Dirty air and dirty water.

He hates Muslims and black people

He does not bring to the court the life ecclesiastical of a Latina woman.

Terrible pick.
  • mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Captplaid
    He is a kitty & puppy killer who supports
    Dirty air and dirty water.

He hates Muslims and black people

He does not bring to the court the life ecclesiastical of a Latina woman.

Terrible pick.

Exactly!!
    If you support him -like I said: CALL YOUR REPRESENTATIVES and say so.