In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1 or 2 man patrols??

montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,013 ******
edited September 2017 in General Discussion
I would like to see Police go back to 2 man patrol units. What's your take?

Comments

• Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    where would all their computers sit ?

around here they never show up alone anyway, rarely will you ever even see 1 car at a traffic stop
  • Options
    edited November -1
    so,eliminate the 2nd vehicle and put that officer in the same car to begin with.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If they did they would have to hire twice as many police officers to cover the same area.

Financially it's cheaper for them to buy a car for every place officer, instead of having that many cars anyway, and putting an extra man in each car. As said before two can show up same time anyway
  • Options
    edited November -1
    around here,out in the county,or our highway patrol,nearest backup may be an hour away or more,,
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    so,eliminate the 2nd vehicle and put that officer in the same car to begin with.

And then what, have one of them dropped off one of the police officers at one scene while he goes to the next scene?. They figure out that they made so many cars per square mile. it makes more sense to have one officer in each vehicle instead of having two. Cuz they're going to have just as many cars on the road anyway

In the big metropolitan areas like New York or Chicago, it may make sense. But most places it would be just a waste of taxpayers money having to employ twice as many officers
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    where was all his backup here?? Would a second officer have made a difference? or would there been 2 officers shot??

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=697886&SearchTerms=officer,shot

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4219356/police-officer-shot-point-blank-bodycam-footage/

One can argue that if there was not two officers in the vehicle that Justine Ruszczyk from Minnesota wouldn't have been killed

Also, and police officer should have waited for backup to show up before you approached the man and threaten to taz him
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    California Highway Patrol officers traditionally work alone. It is worth noting that during what became known as the Newhall Massacre, the four CHP officers who were killed during the incident were in two-man patrol cars, while the fifth officer involved, who arrived alone, survived. None of the four officers who died was over age 24 and none of them had even two years of LE experience. Poor police procedures (due to inexperience) and a series of small mistakes added up to what became the deadliest incident in the history of the California Highway Patrol.

A second officer in a patrol car only helps if at least one of them does the right thing at the right time. Otherwise you simply end up with two fatalities instead of one.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I would never send just one man out on a job working on the airplane or the ship. There is a 100% better chance an alarm will be sounded if something goes amiss.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most agencies use 1 man cars in low crime areas. LAPD uses 2 man cars in some areas. I worked for 2 agencies in my career, both used 1 man units most of the time. Our beats are relatively small so back up is usually no more than 4-5 minutes away.

The CHP shooting that Mark eluded to was an eye opener for the CHP and all of Calif law enforcement as it pertained to training. It happened on April 6,1970, 3 months before I started my police career.

We had to view the morgue pictures of the 4 ofcrs during the academy.

RPI.... George Alleyn... Walt Frago...Roger Gore... James Pence
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not think you are going to see such a move in most suburban or rural areas, it will lead to either slower response times or higher costs in adding personnel. Yes often with single officer units you see others providing back up, however there are plenty of "low risk" calls that are handled by single units, as well as neighborhood patrols that the ordinary citizen doesn't notice or see. Those single unit activities would change if smaller jurisdictions were to double up as a routine practice. Over 30% of Police Agencies in this country are 10-24 officers so those agencies from a practical stand point maximize their visibility and efficiency with single man units. I doubt you will see any change in this regard.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Around here, it's usually ONE Deputy on duty so no two man patrols. Course it's only 250 yards from the courthouse to the convenience stores so fairly unlikely Deputy Dog will get shanghaied on the donut run.
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in Whitelandia- one officer. Very peaceful people here.
    Back in Nignoglandia [old AO] 2 officers and they should have 4 to heard the animals. Then there's the parts the PD only goes in force.
    AKA high rise jungle habitat