In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

No need for a wood chipper

m88.358winm88.358win Member Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭
edited June 2014 in General Discussion

Comments

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,466 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    That's pretty skookum!
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1:15

Ya think?
  • Options
    reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    FWAdditFWAddit Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Okay, an impressive machine.

However, a tree removal company recently widened the pipeline that crosses my place, and I'm glad they didn't use one. Instead, they felled the trees, ran the brush through a wood chipper, and cut the trunks and major branches up and left them piled along the edge. All I have to do to get firewood is go along with the pickup and gather it up. I've already brought in two cords, and it looks like there's at least that much more to go.

The machine in this video seems wasteful except for those cases where felling a tree (or even sending a chainsaw operator up in a cherry-picker) risks damage to nearby property.
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got several hundred hours in one of those things. We call them a Hydra-ax or a hydraulic mulcher.

We used them to clear acres of Brazilian Pepper trees (an invasive species) in Florida among other things.

Probably the most fun machine. The machine has a separate engine just for driving the hydraulics on that head (about 3500 psi if I remember correctly).
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can see the usefulness of such a machine, but it sure seems like an awful waste of timber to me.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The $79.00 Troy Bilt JUMP-START String trimmer will do that ALBEIT slightly slower
  • Options
    BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wish I had one when my daughters started to date!
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Shinn company makes a couple of versions- one is used to clear landmines, so it is pretty tough. Some of their tree stuff-

http://www.shinncutter.com/VIDEOSPAGE.HTML
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do they make them in Military grade! (Besides minesweepers)[;)][:D]
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    They used one of those to clear trees and brush along a drainage ditch, behind the house. The operator was a cupcake compared to the first guy in this video.
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We used Sneller Shredders (about the same thing as a DAH) on mine sites. Once the logging company harvested all of the good stuff the Sneller crews would come in behind them and shred everything left.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can you rent one of those things? It leaves some pretty big pieces, but it could save me some serious hard labor.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    The road crew comes along about every 5 years with something like that and clears back the brush from the road.
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    Can you rent one of those things? It leaves some pretty big pieces, but it could save me some serious hard labor.

Yes, you can rent them. I go over whats left on the ground a second time and there aren't very many big pieces left.
    It will throw a 6" dia. 10' long log about 30yds so a 50 to 75yd safety zone around the machine should be established.

I addition to being one of the most fun machines to operate its also the most dangerous (to be around).
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FWAddit
    Okay, an impressive machine.

However, a tree removal company recently widened the pipeline that crosses my place, and I'm glad they didn't use one. Instead, they felled the trees, ran the brush through a wood chipper, and cut the trunks and major branches up and left them piled along the edge. All I have to do to get firewood is go along with the pickup and gather it up. I've already brought in two cords, and it looks like there's at least that much more to go.

The machine in this video seems wasteful except for those cases where felling a tree (or even sending a chainsaw operator up in a cherry-picker) risks damage to nearby property.

A few years ago a VDOT contractor did the same thing along the roads edge, only they left the logs in 6-8' sections. I went out and filled my pick up several times. It made collecting firewood that year much less labor intensive!
  • Options
    XEROXAVXEROXAV Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wonder if I can talk my wife into holding the tree still while he does that[:0]