In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Favorite Hunting spots

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2016 in General Discussion
I have hunted the same stand now for 43 years. My dad let me pick out a spot in the Pines when I was 10. I have killed roughly 50 to 60 deer out of that stand over the years. This is for shotgun, muzzle loader and bow. I occasionally hunt different stands during bow , but usually within 100 yards of my original stand. To get to my stand, you need hip waders and then have to crawl though briers. I never cut a path in fear people would know where I am at and I wouldn't disturb the deer path. I hunt between a great bedding and feeding area. There is only one way into both of these places and I am right there.I can actually tell you within 15 minutes of when the deer come through that island.I have got their pattern down flat. I have never seen another hunter back there. People always ask where I hunt, and I just tell them in the woods. I do my homework during the summer to see what is there and then hunt a specific buck. I will only take another buck if, he has messed up horns or a genetic defect, to cull the heard from him. I only ever killed one doe, and she had three legs. She didn't look like she was going to make it through the winter. Must have been hit by a car and her leg was gone. The area around her shoulder looked infected. Do you have a certain area or stand that you hunt year in and out?????? Do you scout or just know their patterns??? Oakie

Comments

• Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    My dads place. He had about 300 acres, brush and creeks. Now, it's half min, but it isn't. It;s his, and I see him everywhere in it. He stands beside me, saying, wait.....wait.....wait........

Peace

Jesus
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    Yep and You can see it from Google earth
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always hunt the same spots in Pa and Nj. For me its about the experience and fellowship. My dad introduced me to hunting and being a good sportsman.

This ment caring for the gift of the woods. The game as well. Love my hunting grounds and respect everything around them. Its hallowed ground.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I usually find my best spots by watching people. If I see someone making extra preparations, like putting on hip waders, I just follow them.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,579 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mine use to be the shopping malls . the drive in catching the girls with out the BF along on a snack run the bars were always a good choice if you did not mind fighting or had your beer googles on
    ...Oh wait wrong hunting areas around me I could not be so choosey had a few farmer friends who would invite me along so that was my favorite hunting spots for the year .. I have not been in years the farmers all have too many family members hunting now to allow friends and the public areas are "take your chance" of being shot so I pass them up
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Deer don't have horns!

They have antlers...there's a difference.

Horns stay on the animal & continue to grow with age.

Antlers are discarded each winter, and when they come back the next spring they will have usually grown in mass.

Trinity +++
  • Options
    westernMDhunterwesternMDhunter Member Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I hunted a specific buck I would no doubt be eating tag sandwiches for awhile. I see nice bucks on trailcams but they have no pattern to pin them down. I hunt out of four different locations here and three different locations in Ohio, depending on what the deer are feeding on and which way the prevailing wind is blowing dictates which stand I will hunt. Any buck that makes it to 2 1/2 years old whether it be here on private ground or where I go on public ground in Ohio learns to fear man and becomes really good at avoiding hunters. September is opening of bow season and no doubt a couple does will be tagged and fill the freezer, when late October through November rolls around I'll be hunting for a nice buck and will pass on everything else. Lots of days I don't see any deer at all, some days maybe a couple does will bless me with their presence, but what I live for is when the whitetail woods come alive. When the urge of the whitetail buck to breed a receptive doe and pass on their genes to another generation comes around your diehard deer hunters know they better be in the stand from before daybreak until the sunsets. Flashlight in and flashlight out, the guys, like me who are blessed with having the time off from work during this time no doubt will see the most amazing scenes play out sometime during the rut. I may only see it once a year or may see it play out several times throughout November/December, no doubt I will be in a treestand waiting for it to happen. Good Luck to all the hunters of GB.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,035 ******
    edited November -1
    If I had favorite hunting spots,I couldn't tell anyone,or they wouldn't be favorite anymore,,[;)][;)][;)][;)]
  • Options
    pricklypearpricklypear Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a lot of favorite hunting spots. Hemlock swamps and hard woods for white tails, either still hunting alone or with a partner. I like the big woods where I can hunt the country for miles around. When ever I am back east that is where I will hunt. I never was much of a stand hunter. I am not a trophy hunter either, I will shoot the first legal white tailed deer that I can get a bead on.

For mule deer I like to glass open ridges or hunt along above rimrock, peeking over the edge for bedded bucks. It is easier to be picky about big mulies because I'm likely to see more of them in a week than I would see of white tail bucks of all sizes in a seven week season.