In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Strange Lighting Phenominon

BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,435 ******
edited July 2018 in General Discussion
After changing over all of my household indoor lighting to LED type bulbs, I have run into a couple of glitches that have me stumped.

My basement bathroom has a light bar over the sink mirror that takes 5 standard socket bulbs and has a multi setting switch. The settings for ON\Off and a middle setting for automatic, where a built in movement sensor activates the lights to come on for 3 to 5 minute intervals.

I have always kept the switch set for automatic mode up until I installed the LED bulbs. It seems with the new bulbs the lights go into a "strobe" mode when set for automatic!! They blink on and off so fast I thought I was having a psycodelic 60's flashback![:0]

I decided that the lower energy costs were worth having to go back to the manual OFF\ON switch mode so I have left the new bulbs in place. I just would like to understand why the LED's have this effect upon my switching system??

Then, just last week, after having replaced the one overhead bulb in one of the upstairs bathrooms, the LED light started acting weird!

When I turn click on the switch, the light comes on but it is VERY dim. Then, after about 10 seconds, it goes to full bright.[:I]

Sheesh!!! It had been working normal for nearly a month before starting this new bit of strangeness.
Could someone shed any light [:)] on my dilemma's?

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. Your next stop, the Twilight Zone!

300px-The_Twilight_Zone_logo.svg.png

[:D][;)]

Best.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i replaced the 4' flouro bulbs in the kitchen with LED...sometimes when i have the antenna TV on when i turn lites on a low signal channel will blip off then come back when i shut the lites down ???
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,199 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gotta figure with the newer cheap LEDs most are make in china or one of the cheaper countries. they are cutting corners as close as possible to make them as low cost as possible. gonna get a few bad ones in the bunch as quality control isn't a top priority........
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unlike a filament bulb, LED bulbs have circuitry in them. It's possible to get a feedback cycle going between your motion sensor and the bulb circuit that switches it on and off rapidly.

Likewise, a nearby RF emitter like a TV apparently can upset the circuitry in an LED bulb. Not supposed to, but if the set was designed and tested pre-LEDs it isn't surprising that they didn't shield against something that didn't exist yet.

There are also some flourescent tube fixtures that are incompatible with LED bulbs. One of five that I have is that way. The LED tubes come on about 10% of normal brightness with that one fixture. Had to go back to fluoro tubes until I replace the whole fixture.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    stepson got set up as a direct importer from china and has been selling LED lights for several years, and cheaper than most places last year he cut his inventory as low as possible because the chinese figured out a way to make the ???lite emitter?? out of silicon base material instead of lab sapphire base...cheaper and brighter..so he was not caught with a large inventory of older stuff to try to get rid of...instant on in cold and much brighter using less electricity ..i took out some halogen lites in cannisters at the lake place and replaced the bulbs with LED...did away with the high heat of halogen .. safer
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    I have a hallway light on a motion sensor I have turned off. Weird its either on or half on Comes on full when it senses motion.

Then sometimes it starts flashing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I sure hope that these LED systems don't end up causing cancer or brain wave abnormalities down the road![:0]

Cell phones and brain tumors....

I'd sure hate to have to have a heart pace maker! Remember those signs around micro waves!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I currently have twin motion activated halogen spot lights high atop the peak of my garage. One burnt out some time ago and I have plans to replace both bulbs with new LED's.

It is a very high place on my two story building with a hard ashfault driveway below. No longer do such ladder climbs these days and will wait for one of my sons to do the install with me holding the ladder.[:I]

I just hope that after all is done, will not have issues with the new lights going spastic in motion sensor mode!
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did a retrofit on some can lights with a LED bulb replacement, out of over 100 lights all worked except one circuit started flashing after being in a little while.

Turns out someone had replaced one of the electronic ballast with a magnetic ballast that worked fine on the old florescent bulb but impacted the operation of the entire circuit on the LED bulb replacement. Once I replaced the ballast they all worked great.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    There are no ballasts on my basement light fixtures. They were designed for those fancy round globe lights with standard sized light bulb sockets.