In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lowes LED Lights

dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
edited June 2018 in General Discussion
I went to Lowes to get some lamps and a ballast to fix a light. They had 10 led lamps for 89 dollars.

They had 16 led lamps for $79 that they were discontinuing and they were marked down to $35 and then the military discount they were about $32.

I went to another Lowes store today and that store did not have them marked down. So they may or may not be on sale. If they are on sale its a great deal.

When i put the led lamps in they make a huge difference compared to the other lamps.

Comments

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,416 ******
    edited November -1
    Sounds like one of those local deals at your store only Dave.

I have been slowly changing over my entire household to LED after moving in 2 1\2 years ago. It has been a bit costly, but my electric bills in the beginning on the old standard bulbs were nearly 200 bucks +\- each month.

Not quite done yet with all of the replacements, as many of my applications and fixtures are kind of strange, to say the least!

Kind of like the various lamps on a Christmas tree!

Glad you found yourself a deal!
  • Options
    edited November -1

I have been slowly changing over my entire household to LED after moving in 2 1\2 years ago. It has been a bit costly, but my electric bills in the beginning on the old standard bulbs were nearly 200 bucks +\- each month.

Not quite done yet with all of the replacements, as many of my applications and fixtures are kind of strange, to say the least!

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife said she saw them at our local Lowe's, too. Think I'll run down there and get a supply.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Brookwood

Have you seen a noticable difference in the bill yet? I switched all 4 of our buildings to the fancy flouresent bulbs and had nothing but problems, the ones exposed to cold would pop or never get to full brightness and never saw a difference in the monthly bill. So far I have the garage. Shop and half the house on LED, the outside lights actually work, the shop and garage are no longer dim and I?m hoping to see the bill drop. Like you, I still have several to change yet but them suckers are not cheap.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Com Ed paid electricians to change my Industrial building over to all LED.
    Nice. But.......My bill has not dropped a noticeable difference because since I use less electric I pay a higher rate!
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We did most of our lights as LED when we remodeled six years ago. Hevn't replaced a bulb yet.

I had five two-bulb 48" fluoro fixturess here, four of them in the garage. Today, I replaced those with LEDs from Lowe's. One fixture in my work room in the basement apparently has an incompatible ballast - the new LEDs just flicker dimly. Rather than installing a new fixture, I think I'll just live with the fluoros there until that fixture dies.

As mentioned, the new LEDs are great. Instant on, even in winter, no flickering, and you can get a range of "temperature" ratings to get the light color you want, from warm to cool white to bright daylight.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The question is how many lumens are they? That would tell just as much as the price. If they don't have enough lumens, that would be worthless for me.

For instance a 750 Lumen LED light bulb is like a 60-watt incandescent light bulb as far as how much light it puts out...

And what brand are they? If they're not a name brand like General Electric, they may not last very long... Trust me I found out the hard way that you need to buy name brand LED lights or they will actually cost you more in the long run replacing them all the time.[V]

At Lowe's here in Utah, a 16 packet of General Electric brand 750 lumen LED light bulbs are only $25.98 before any military discount when they're not on sale...
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    I had five two-bulb 48" fluoro fixturess here, four of them in the garage. Today, I replaced those with LEDs from Lowe's. One fixture in my work room in the basement apparently has an incompatible ballast - the new LEDs just flicker dimly. Rather than installing a new fixture, I think I'll just live with the fluoros there until that fixture dies.In my opinion the weakest link in florescent fixtures is the ballast. We have a 4 tube fixture in our kitchen (ceiling mounted) that has a very attractive Oak frame around it that matches the cabinets and I really didn't want to replace it, but I wanted the florescent tubes and ballasts out of there. I found the Hyperikon LED tubes on Amazon and decided to try them, so I ordered the 4 tube pack ($45.00). It was a very simple removal of the ballast and rewire; keeping the existing tombstones. This was about 2 years ago and my wife still says occasionally "have I told you recently how great the light is in the kitchen; I can read even the smallest print on things". [:)]

I've procrastinated, but my garage is next!

Here is the description: (T8 T10 T12 LED Light Tube 4FT, 18W (40W-50W Equiv.), Dual-End Powered, Ballast Bypass, F48T8 Fluorescent Replacement, 2340 Lumens, 5000K, Clear, Garage, Warehouse, Shop Light - 4 Pack)

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    I had five two-bulb 48" fluoro fixturess here, four of them in the garage. Today, I replaced those with LEDs from Lowe's. One fixture in my work room in the basement apparently has an incompatible ballast - the new LEDs just flicker dimly. Rather than installing a new fixture, I think I'll just live with the fluoros there until that fixture dies.In my opinion the weakest link in florescent fixtures is the ballast. We have a 4 tube fixture in our kitchen (ceiling mounted) that has a very attractive Oak frame around it that matches the cabinets and I really didn't want to replace it, but I wanted the florescent tubes and ballasts out of there. I found the Hyperikon LED tubes on Amazon and decided to try them, so I ordered the 4 tube pack ($45.00). It was a very simple removal of the ballast and rewire; keeping the existing tombstones. This was about 2 years ago and my wife still says occasionally "have I told you recently how great the light is in the kitchen; I can read even the smallest print on things". [:)]

Here is the description: (T8 T10 T12 LED Light Tube 4FT, 18W (40W-50W Equiv.), Dual-End Powered, Ballast Bypass, F48T8 Fluorescent Replacement, 2340 Lumens, 5000K, Clear, Garage, Warehouse, Shop Light - 4 Pack)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S5TTT0K/?coliid=I2G5W9JN1MO5H5&colid=XD8SFXP9I9HH&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I went with the same in my garage. I put them in the 4' hang-em-up and plug'em in fixtures so I could use them where needed. It was money well spent. Ample light and instant on with no buzzing, even in the bitter cold.
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by asphalt cowboy
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S5TTT0K/?coliid=I2G5W9JN1MO5H5&colid=XD8SFXP9I9HH&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I went with the same in my garage. I put them in the 4' hang-em-up and plug'em in fixtures so I could use them where needed. It was money well spent. Ample light and instant on with no buzzing, even in the bitter cold.Yep, great improvement. However, I used the dual-end powered instead of the single end powered. Matter of fact, as soon as I posted that response, I went to Amazon and ordered a 12 pack for delivery on Monday. So, Monday afternoon I'll rework the three 4 bulb fixtures in my garage. At some point, I'll do the same upgrade in my wife's laundry room.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I replaced 1700 fixtures in a 99K Sq.Ft. office, we are seeing 4500 a month savings in electricity. Since we are a mostly cooling climate the heat loss is significant also. Each 4 bulb Florescent fixture was emitting about 200 degrees into the ceiling the LED runs about 80 degrees.

I don't care for the LED replacements that use the existing ballast, you still have the old ballast, and tombstones to contend with. We used a total retrofit that left the troffler pan with earthquake straps in place but otherwise is a new fixture.

Direct wire LED replacements are OK but potential safety issue with whoever may change them later, even properly marked.

Modern LED's have 0-10v dimming features and can be connected "smart" in series they can even dim based on outside light.

LED over Incandescent or Florescent any day for me.

LED eliminates the 60 cycle flash some florescent lights are know for too.

One other advantage LED produces no infra red or ultra violet so no degradation of color or staining of the walls Etc.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went ahead and used the single end tubes and the included tombstones to simplify installation in my corded fixtures.
    At the time it was the most cost effective alternative since I wanted outlet boxes mounted up on the side of the trusses anyway. It was just cheaper to convert the four corded fixtures I had than to buy permanent mount fixtures.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Big Sky Redneck
    quote:Originally posted by Brookwood

Have you seen a noticable difference in the bill yet? I switched all 4 of our buildings to the fancy flouresent bulbs and had nothing but problems, the ones exposed to cold would pop or never get to full brightness and never saw a difference in the monthly bill. So far I have the garage. Shop and half the house on LED, the outside lights actually work, the shop and garage are no longer dim and I?m hoping to see the bill drop. Like you, I still have several to change yet but them suckers are not cheap.

It is still too soon to tell as I am only about half done changing things over. Another problem trying to determine savings is the air conditioner has been running non-stop for the last week here!

I did notice a huge improvement in the kitchen lighting, regarding natural brightness without feeling the heat that used to radiate from the 11 mini spot lights in the ceiling track light set up!

The mini spot lights have those two pin with flat round feet on them and I had to look a long time to find the LED versions that would fit my "fancy"stainless art deco fixtures.

Trying to "train" my wife to shut off lights and not use them in the bright daytime has been kind of a feeble mission for me.
    Menopause has so many effects on the female mindset that I could add new definitions to the list of "hormonal reasoning" on a daily basis![xx(]